Fostex HP-P1 vs Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo?
Dec 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #78 of 108
Sorry folks, been assembling my office rig for the LCD3 so my portable stuff is getting much less head time than before. I don't use my T5p these days and my ES5 is usually directly driven by my iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy Nexus direct. After my main system in office is settled I will go back to the bricks and have another comparison before selling off some of the stuff.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #79 of 108
Is your office insured against the loss of that rig ? Most of us would be mortified at the thought of losing a good DAP and a nice pair of IEMs, but you have several thousand dollars worth of kit (presumably) sitting on a desk in a building you dont even see outside work hours. Just sayin.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #82 of 108
I appreciate this is maybe a somewhat belated response to this thread.
However I have been using a Fostex HP-P1 and the CLAS for some time now and feel I can give an honest opinion as to which I prefer.
First the Fostex HP-P1. This has many advantages over the CLAS, these being:
1. Portability as it includes DAC and amp in the one unit.
2. Easier to get if you live in the UK (had to import the CLAS).
3. Charges the iPod classic as it plays.
4. Easy to charge as it uses a standard USB port to charge.

So the Fostex should win easily.

But for me I find myself using the CLAS and my iBasso PB2 amp almost exclusively.
I mainly use Westone 4R with both rigs, iPod classic and lossless files.
So despite the pain of multiple chargers and the constant running down of the iPod it is the
CLAS for me.

The reason is that I prefer the sound of the CLAS and iBasso set up hands down. The soundstage
appears larger giving better differenciation of instruments and voices. The music just sounds "bigger" (not louder)
with the CLAS.

I will keep the Fostex for trips away as it is far more portable than the CLAS/iBasso set up and the ease of charging
is not to be dismissed easily.

If you are undecided between the two and can put up with the charging requirements and have a amp you like then
go for the CLAS.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #83 of 108
Let's just focus on the DAC performance, which is better Fostex or CLAS?
As you know Fostex has 32 bit DAC but CLAS has 24 bit DAC.
Since both are portable DAC, come to product reliability which is better especially when you accidentally drop the device?

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #86 of 108
Quote:
Can I say that CLAS will give a wider and larger soundstage and more cleaner and much detail separation comparing to Fostex HPP1?

I wouldn't agree with that.  CLAS to me was more analytical sounding and the Fostex with a warmer tilt.  The CLAS might sound cleaner to some ears but I didn't think the Fostex lost any details or separation in comparison.  I just preferred the sound of the Fostex over the CLAS for the reasons I mentioned.  

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #87 of 108
Quote:
I wouldn't agree with that.  CLAS to me was more analytical sounding and the Fostex with a warmer tilt.  The CLAS might sound cleaner to some ears but I didn't think the Fostex lost any details or separation in comparison.  I just preferred the sound of the Fostex over the CLAS for the reasons I mentioned.  

+1. Agreed with Danny's bolded comment. And for my personal tastes, I preferred the CLAS. i.e. it's not which one is better, it's more a matter of which flavour you prefer.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #88 of 108
Quote:

When you mentioned analytical sounding do you mean CLAS has very detail sounding comparing to Fostex?

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #89 of 108
Quote:
When you mentioned analytical sounding do you mean CLAS has very detail sounding comparing to Fostex?

I mean it sounds cold and clinical.  They do possess lots of detail and possibly more than the Fostex but I do not know the definitive answer to that.  Just like AnakChan posted, it all depends on what you prefer.  Possibly my best way to describe it is to say that the Fostex adds a little color where the CLAS did not.  I believe in Jude's video comparing the CLAS and HP-P1, he mentioned the DAC section was pretty equal.  Whatever amp that is connected to either device has some effect to the sound also.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #90 of 108
I do not agree that the CLAS sounds cold and clinical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back