Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #9,811 of 20,647
maybe a better question is what is the common recommendation for these headphones? I currently have a Bifrost multibit with Lyr2 and upgraded tubes.

I just purchased yggdrasil and now looking to pair this up with an amp. My budget for headphone amp is about $2,500 USD.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #9,812 of 20,647
Interesting how folks with their choices of Stax vs Utopia. As for me, I’ve just sold my Utopia and gonna focus/consolidated more on Stax/Susvara instead.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #9,814 of 20,647
Interesting how folks with their choices of Stax vs Utopia. As for me, I’ve just sold my Utopia and gonna focus/consolidated more on Stax/Susvara instead.

I'm keeping BOTH my Utopia and 009S.
Each are at the Pinnacle of what they represent - dynamic and electrostatic.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #9,815 of 20,647
Why did you sell your Utopia?
I've had two weeks of listening with the Utopia, as of today. While unpleasant upper mids subdued over time, I still think it has some issues on tonal balances. It sounds pretty bad on some tracks which have a heavy presence from 2.5k to upper frequencies.
Why is it so difficult to build a headphone with excellent clarity and organic timbre? I reach out ether c flow often than I expected.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #9,816 of 20,647
You need to check out the ZMF Autuer, or perhaps their new Verite.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #9,817 of 20,647
You need to check out the ZMF Autuer, or perhaps their new Verite.

Thanks, I checked it. But I found that it is too large to travel with, so I gave up on that idea. The Utopia is reasonably sized among flagship headphones. lcd4z, zmfs, empyrean are too bulky for my liking. I prefer a smaller one, like focal, senn, hifiman, mrspeakers.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #9,821 of 20,647
I'm keeping BOTH my Utopia and 009S.
Each are at the Pinnacle of what they represent - dynamic and electrostatic.

I agree - that’s along the lines of what I wrote too in my Utopia review ~2 years back.

Why did you sell your Utopia?
I've had two weeks of listening with the Utopia, as of today. While unpleasant upper mids subdued over time, I still think it has some issues on tonal balances. It sounds pretty bad on some tracks which have a heavy presence from 2.5k to upper frequencies.
Why is it so difficult to build a headphone with excellent clarity and organic timbre? I reach out ether c flow often than I expected.

For my ears, at time upper trebles can be a little too energetic and despite the Utopia being an open headphone, it’s actually rather closed sounding. To my opinion I feel the Utopia expresses copious amount of detailed in a closed environment so overall music sounds rather “busy”.

To me the SR-009 & Susvara expresses a lot of detail too (& with the Stax with even more ethereal finesse) but their open signature gives the details room to “breathe”.

I had my Utopia for 2 years before making the decision to sell - because I have alternatives. Otherwise the Utopia on its own is the pinnacle of commercial dynamic driven headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #9,822 of 20,647
I agree - that’s along the lines of what I wrote too in my Utopia review ~2 years back.

For my ears, at time upper trebles can be a little too energetic and despite the Utopia being an open headphone, it’s actually rather closed sounding. To my opinion I feel the Utopia expresses copious amount of detailed in a closed environment so overall music sounds rather “busy”.

To me the SR-009 & Susvara expresses a lot of detail too (& with the Stax with even more ethereal finesse) but their open signature gives the details room to “breathe”.

I had my Utopia for 2 years before making the decision to sell - because I have alternatives. Otherwise the Utopia on its own is the pinnacle of commercial dynamic driven headphones.

Funny, I always found the SR009 with more energetic treble than the Utopia (by a reasonable margin) regardless of the gear I used. YMMV of course. But the DanaCable Lazuli Reference cable has made some really good improvements as well.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #9,823 of 20,647
tho i am aware of these criticisms of the utopia, i can honestly say that's not how i hear it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back