Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 21, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #20,642 of 20,796
Utopia can definitely do this well, but I think I’d recommend the HD800S more. Stringed instruments of the HD800S sound heavenly.

The Utopia has a small stage and intimate presentation on a SS amp that may feel lacking the grandiose of an orchestral track. The answer depends on if you’re ok with that.
You may go with Hifiman HE1000SE too.
Live music, film scores, and orchestral are its great strength.

May 21, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #20,644 of 20,796
Thanks I will look into that option. Do i need just rub that paste onto frame and leave it ?

In current times I don't feel attracted to the idea on spending mega buck for a headphone frame. Have a feeling that Focal would come up with some ridiculous number. At least drivers survived my abuse...never again leaving my headphones in bed and covering with bed sheet
One possible solution is to find a seconhand pair of the cheaper focals (Elegia maybe) and swap the frames.

May 29, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #20,645 of 20,796
I have been searching for a new headphone to add to the collection and I was recently given a pair of the new Utopia to try at home for a few days and I really liked the overall presentation but the soundstage width was a little congested for me even though the instrument separation was extremely good.

I have read that the OG Utopia had a slightly wider soundstage and for the price of a used pair compared to the price of the new Utopia it was a no brainer for me to buy a used OG pair.

Looking forward to receiving the OG Utopia and putting it through its paces against the LCD 4 & HEKSE.

May 29, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #20,647 of 20,796
I have been searching for a new headphone to add to the collection and I was recently given a pair of the new Utopia to try at home for a few days and I really liked the overall presentation but the soundstage width was a little congested for me even though the instrument separation was extremely good.

I have read that the OG Utopia had a slightly wider soundstage and for the price of a used pair compared to the price of the new Utopia it was a no brainer for me to buy a used OG pair.

Looking forward to receiving the OG Utopia and putting it through its paces against the LCD 4 & HEKSE.
Nope Nutopia has wider soundstage than OG. OG possibly has a bit more soundstage depth though

May 30, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #20,648 of 20,796

Don't know about the difference if any between old and new versions, but I thought my OG Utopias were a bit narrow when I moved to them from HD800s a few years ago. For me, the Lazuli Reference cable made quite a difference, which included making the sound stage wider.
I am at the sceptical end of cable effects but had to admit to myself that the Lazuli made quite a difference. Might be worth trying out? They have a money-back 30-day approach, so no real risk.

May 30, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #20,649 of 20,796
Don't know about the difference if any between old and new versions, but I thought my OG Utopias were a bit narrow when I moved to them from HD800s a few years ago. For me, the Lazuli Reference cable made quite a difference, which included making the sound stage wider.
I am at the sceptical end of cable effects but had to admit to myself that the Lazuli made quite a difference. Might be worth trying out? They have a money-back 30-day approach, so no real risk.
The seller is also including a Forza AudioWorks cable so I will see if that helps but I have noticed that upsampling really expands the soundstage for my other headphones.

May 30, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #20,650 of 20,796

There is a mismatch between your cans and amp and source. I would start from there. Either version of Utopia is only slightly behind 800S in terms of soundstage width but ahead in depth.

May 30, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #20,651 of 20,796
There is a mismatch between your cans and amp and source. I would start from there. Either version of Utopia is only slightly behind 800S in terms of soundstage width but ahead in depth.
In my opinion there is no way the Utopia is anywhere near the width of the 800S. If we are talking about a more holographic stage then the Utopia definitely beats the 800S in that regard.

My main amplifier is the Cayin HA-3A with the widest sounding tubes with the Topping D90 and when I had the new Utopia for several days the soundstage width was even smaller than the LCD 4 but the depth and imaging was a lot better.

May 30, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #20,652 of 20,796
In my opinion there is no way the Utopia is anywhere near the width of the 800S. If we are talking about a more holographic stage then the Utopia definitely beats the 800S in that regard.

My main amplifier is the Cayin HA-3A with the widest sounding tubes with the Topping D90 and when I had the new Utopia for several days the soundstage width was even smaller than the LCD 4 but the depth and imaging was a lot better.
What can I say. YMMV. I would suggest when you get a chance to go to CanJam you can try hooking up Meitner MA3 or Weiss 501 or one of the newer Apex dCS to CFA3 and report back.

You need low distortion, high resolution and high power amp (but not cold or sterile) to bring out the best of Be drivers.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #20,653 of 20,796
What can I say. YMMV. I would suggest when you get a chance to go to CanJam you can try hooking up Meitner MA3 or Weiss 501 or one of the newer Apex dCS to CFA3 and report back.
Do you not believe that a tube amplifier can get most of the potential soundstage of a headphone? Especially when tube rolling.

May 30, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #20,654 of 20,796
Do you not believe that a tube amplifier can get most of the potential soundstage of a headphone? Especially when tube rolling.
Nope; rather it’s the exact opposite IMO. Soundstage is a function of high resolution source and amp paired with a transducer than can handle and take advantage of the output.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #20,655 of 20,796

You need low distortion, high resolution and high power amp (but not cold or sterile) to bring out the best of Be drivers.
Agree with all these recommendations, having listened to all of them recently. I am now using the Utopias with a Weiss Helios and they have scaled completely to what the Helios can deliver. The Utopias have a lot in reserve. The sound is stunning! The Weiss 501 is no slouch either, and the others are very, very good.

That said, I do continue to use the Lazuli Reference cable :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back