Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #271 of 1,765
Quick heads up.  This Japanese retailer has the PRO's on sale for only £11,689.28

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00EXO8Y3Y/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Better be quick though. The seller told me they are selling like hot cakes!

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #272 of 1,765
I've owned the spirit pros for a couple of weeks now and I like them a lot but the small ear cups mean that they can't be worn for to long without getting uncomfortable,so I've been looking at the classics I realise they don't sound the same but in some photos they look like the earcups are bigger on the classics can anybody who's seen them together confirm this?

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #273 of 1,765
Quote:
I've owned the spirit pros for a couple of weeks now and I like them a lot but the small ear cups mean that they can't be worn for to long without getting uncomfortable,so I've been looking at the classics I realise they don't sound the same but in some photos they look like the earcups are bigger on the classics can anybody who's seen them together confirm this?

They are the same size.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #275 of 1,765
When oh when will the comfortable Focal Spirit Pro come out?! Manufactures: Listen! I'm tired of my headfi search. Bring me comfort, closed-back, and something akin to neutrality. Now! Is there no company who will take this challenge?! 

Sorry for the rant. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #276 of 1,765
Quote:
  When oh when will the comfortable Focal Spirit Pro come out?! Manufactures: Listen! I'm tired of my headfi search. Bring me comfort, closed-back, and something akin to neutrality. Now! Is there no company who will take this challenge?! 

Sorry for the rant. 

I think that Focal probably designed themselves into a corner. The Pro and Classic use the same design as the One with the small cups. Space for the ear was the sacrifice in order to tune the headphone the way they wanted rather than start from scratch. I certainly won't recommend them as over-ear until they fix this problem.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #277 of 1,765

Sorry for the rant. 

Haha. I understand you 100%
biggrin.gif

When a comfortable Focal Spirit Pro comes out, it will be end game for sure. Haha. I think it's bound to happen. I'm sure they've gotten a ton of feedback that it's uncomfortable. Either that or some other company will do it, hopefully sooner than later. I'll buy that one too if it's neutral like the FSP.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #278 of 1,765

Haha. I understand you 100%
biggrin.gif

When a comfortable Focal Spirit Pro comes out, it will be end game for sure. Haha. I think it's bound to happen. I'm sure they've gotten a ton of feedback that it's uncomfortable. Either that or some other company will do it, hopefully sooner than later. I'll buy that one too if it's neutral like the FSP.

I may go back to the 7520 until then... I found the 7520 more comfortable at least, though I would take the sound signature of the Pro. If it weren't for my glasses, I would have pushed through the clamp. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #279 of 1,765
  I may go back to the 7520 until then... I found the 7520 more comfortable at least, though I would take the sound signature of the Pro. If it weren't for my glasses, I would have pushed through the clamp. 

Yeah the 7520 is not a bad temporary solution. The build quality is top notch too, with that sexy magnesium alloy body. That bass can get a little boomy though, as you know.

I'm still impressed with the FSP. Seriously, this thing holds its own against the Sig Pro and K812. It took up a solid 1/3 of listening time from me, and now that the K812 is gone it's taking 50% listening time from the Sig Pro. The sonics are truly beautiful. I call them: "awesomely neutral". I never thought anything would push out the 7520 as my favorite, but the FSP brought it.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #281 of 1,765
  which will have the deepest soundstage and best Imaging? Nad viso, Focal Spirit pro or the sony?

I've only tried the first two. Between them, the HP50 wins on soundstage, imaging, and detail retrieval, but loses on tonal balance and dynamics to the FSP.

Both are a wash on build quality, as they both have headband designs that suck. Both have fit issues as well. The HP50 having seal issues for some people due to the rectangular shape of the pads and comfort issues due to the shape and positioning of the headband/its low padding. The FSP has small cups and a tight clamp. I find the FSP more aesthetically pleasing, but that's highly subjective YMMV. 

They are both excellent closed headphones. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #282 of 1,765
Coincidentally, while I'm on this thread, Re: the FSP's fit. Despite the headphones being the best sounding closed headphones I've ever heard, and despite the fact that my ears fit in the small cups fine, I just can't get past the clamp issues. They have restarted my old TMJ problems. Even after four weeks, the way that they fit on my head caused my jaw to renew its old popping, clicking, grinding, and otherwise painful tightness. The FSP's clamp like the an HD25-II, which I'd normally see as a virtue. (They'll never just fall off.) The problem, and this is wholly a personal problem, is the place that the round pad sat at the jawline below the ear. They put too much pressure on the joint. 

I have pair of LFF T50rp Paradoxes now that are en route and should be here on Thursday. Comparisons to the FSP to follow.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #283 of 1,765
  which will have the deepest soundstage and best Imaging? Nad viso, Focal Spirit pro or the sony?

Though I would take the above advice on the Nad Viso vs the Focal. I have had the Sony and the Focal. I would say runnn away from the Sony if that is what you want. The sony sucks in soundstage period. Though it has good detail retrieval the Focal laughs at the Sony soundstage. That is the only, literally only deal breaker for the Sony to me. The instruments are forward and very engaging with an excellent fit and low profile design but the music became too congested in a rush of sound when compared to others.  

I desire to try that Nad myself. 

So I have a question. 
which has more bass the NAD Viso or Focal pro?

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #284 of 1,765

So I have a question. 
which has more bass the NAD Viso or Focal pro?

The HP50, and better imaging for bass reverberation too. Given the way that the Focal fit on your head (as pretty much an on-ear) I think the HP50 will seal fine on the sides of your head too. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #285 of 1,765

The HP50, and better imaging for bass reverberation too. Given the way that the Focal fit on your head (as pretty much an on-ear) I think the HP50 will seal fine on the sides of your head too. 

okay that is my next hp either that or the sennheiser hd650. I will see. 

If I could have  a slightly softer sounding focal, with a little more bass I would very much enjoy it. I very much enjoyed the Focal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back