Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #241 of 1,765
How good is the sound pf these headphones when used as portables? (I mean - paired with DAPs, smartphones?). I'm thinking about getting pair of them or KEF M500.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #243 of 1,765
  How good is the sound pf these headphones when used as portables? (I mean - paired with DAPs, smartphones?). I'm thinking about getting pair of them or KEF M500.

If you got these that would be exciting because you could compare them to your Paradox. MuppetFace thinks they're pretty close in terms of neutrality.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #244 of 1,765

If you got these that would be exciting because you could compare them to your Paradox. MuppetFace thinks they're pretty close in terms of neutrality.

You mean focals or KEFs? Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for - Paradoxes that I can bring with me to workplace :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #245 of 1,765
Anyone knows anywhere to try them out in UK?

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #247 of 1,765

Anyone knows anywhere to try them out in UK?

have you tried the focal website?

It's pretty easy, go to focal professional.com type in uk and city and select the spirit professional

up pops dealers, call and set up a time to go listen

piece of cake or as you may say pudding

Nothing pops there other than a wholesale supplier. =/

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #248 of 1,765
  You mean focals or KEFs? Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for - Paradoxes that I can bring with me to workplace :)

I mean the Focal Spirit Pro. I kept up with the Paradox thread and I remember your presence there. Honestly, when I first got the FSP, I was like OMG! LFF needs to hear this Schiit! Haha. My suspicions were confirmed when MuppetFace said these are the closest to neutral this side of the Paradox she's heard and Jude compared them to the UERM. I keep using the same phrases people were using to describe the Paradox because it also applies to the FSP.

Just like the Paradox thread, and also here it's evident It's not for everyone, but for those who can appreciate neutrality done well, it's for them.

*of course the comfort issues still remain for many out there. But if your ears fit, OMG...
atsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #249 of 1,765

I mean the Focal Spirit Pro. I kept up with the Paradox thread and I remember your presence there. Honestly, when I first got the FSP, I was like OMG! LFF needs to hear this Schiit! Haha. My suspicions were confirmed when MuppetFace said these are the closest to neutral this side of the Paradox she's heard and Jude compared them to the UERM. I keep using the same phrases people were using to describe the Paradox because it also applies to the FSP.

Just like the Paradox thread, and also here it's evident It's not for everyone, but for those who can appreciate neutrality done well, it's for them.

*of course the comfort issues still remain for many out there. But if your ears fit, OMG...
atsmile.gif

Well, comfort issues really bother me, because from what I've read these focals remind me my old Audio-Technica M50s which squeezed my head too much. Smal inner diameter of pads is not good too, but clamping force is what can really be the dealbreaker. I prefer something like denons or akg k550 in this regard. The main problem is that I'm from a small town and don't have an opportunity to try them in shop. Buying from internet shop is 100% russian roulette because moneyback in Russia is really PITA.

Though I have time to think, focals will become available in my country by the end of march. I REALLY fell in love with kef's design and fit, but focals should sound better and they are cheaper in Russia, so time will tell :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #252 of 1,765
I just ordered a pair, but will not get them until 30.03. If everything's fine, I'll make a review and comparison between them and lff paradox. BTW, are Focal headphones made in France or China?

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #255 of 1,765
V-Moda XL pads arrived today and I have replaced the original pads with the XL ones.

Spirit Pro inner dimensions: 48mm x 38mm x ~15mm
V-Moda XL pads inner dimensions: 65mm x 45mm x ~12mm

Comfort is significantly improved and my ears fit in the cup now and I can now wear these for hours with and without glasses whereas before my ears would hurt within an hour. Clamping force has also been reduced. Noise attenuation has dropped noticeably. Sound is a little more airy and closer to Brainwavz HM5 whereas before it felt closed in. I'm really happy that it now sounds more like an open than closed headphone.

The sub-bass has been reduced. With the larger cavity for the ear and softer pads this is unsurprising. I'm going to try stuffing some cotton under the pads and see what difference that makes. Treble seems to have increased but I found the treble now sounds a bit more balanced to me.

Bass sounds significantly different.

Update: I consider the V-Moda XL pads to be a failure. The bass is changed too much and loses the impact that it had. My current solution is to remove the pads from the cup and stretch the inside of the pad. Doing this I can just about fit my ear inside and it is reasonably comfortable. I need to think of some way to stretch the inside of the pad over night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back