Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #227 of 1,765
I tried a variety of music with nice lows and I can't help but think the SP is simply too shy. I don't have the opportunity to sit beside these guys as they mix on their reference speakers but from having heard really boosted bass and almost none... It just feels like it needs some help.

Drums, electric bass, bass guitars, they all need help.... *srugs shoulders

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #228 of 1,765
So what replacement pads out there would fit the Spirit Pro?

I've ruled out the Brainwavz HM5 pads for being too large and the loss of bass is significant due to the pad wall being outside the cup wall. I was considering the V-Moda XL pads but the odd shape may not work. The other constraint is that the pad wall needs to cover part of the cup otherwise the bass will be lost. So the inner dimensions of the pad need to be larger but no too larger.

The ring the pads attach to is:

1. 8.9cm x 7.9cm in outer dimensions
  2. 5.7cm x 5.3cm in inner dimensions
  3. The stock pad wall is 20mm wide.
  4. The inner cup size is 50mm tall by 40mm wide

The aim should be pads with an inner cup height of 64mm. That is the height of the average ear. So we need pads with a inner cup size of 65mm. Lose 8mm from the pad wall and you could fit the average ear inside. Bass will be lost due to the decreased wall area but hopefully not a huge amount will be lost.

V-Moda XL pads out dimensions:

1. Length: 93mm
  2. Width: 75mm
  3. Depth: 24mm

You can see the XL pads have a height and width that is about the right.

They aren't available in the UK so I can't test them. If someone else can then that would be highly appreciated. You'd have to remove the plastic attachment piece from the XL pads and then double-sided sticky tape on the Focal plastic attachment piece.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #230 of 1,765
  you would have to glue them on

The ring slides under the pads and the top and bottom hole secures the pad on to the ring.

You can see how the ring attaches to the cup: http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7e/7edb2ae1_Untitled-1.png

This image shows how the ring locks on to the cup: http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c7/900x900px-LL-c739308c_Untitled-2.png

The V-Moda XL pads would have to be stuck on to the ring. I'll get some double-sided sticky tape to see how well it works.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #231 of 1,765
Hi guys,

As an Electronic music producer ( mainly Hybrid-Electro-House-music stuff ), I'm enjoying and trusting the extra low-end on the Sony's 7520.
I still own the Focal Spirit ONE, which i clearly dislike, because of the sound signature ( way too dark and no extra-sub's )
Could you please tell me if the pads are a bit bigger on the PRO's..? I wasn't "that" stuck in the FS-ONE's though..
And do you feel i could rely on the PRO's for the Sub low region..? as i do with the Sony's..
..Having good time reading this thread.
popcorn.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #232 of 1,765
Quote:
  Hi guys,

As an Electronic music producer ( mainly Hybrid-Electro-House-music stuff ), I'm enjoying and trusting the extra low-end on the Sony's 7520.
I still own the Focal Spirit ONE, which i clearly dislike, because of the sound signature ( way too dark and no extra-sub's )
Could you please tell me if the pads are a bit bigger on the PRO's..? I wasn't "that" stuck in the FS-ONE's though..
And do you feel i could rely on the PRO's for the Sub low region..? as i do with the Sony's..
popcorn.gif

Inner pad size is still tiny and measures 50mm by 40mm which is too small for the average ear. Bass is about the same as the Spirit One.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #233 of 1,765
Inner pad size is still tiny and measures 50mm by 40mm which is too small for the average ear. Bass is about the same as the Spirit One.

From my experience, the spirit one had more rumble. Could you try to more clearly express the degree to which it's about the same?

Thanks mate.

Also, guess I have small ears cuz they fit completely inside the cup cavity.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #234 of 1,765
  Hi guys,

popcorn.gif

I had the 7520 for about 11 months and loved them as my ultimate closed-back solution. The answer to your question is "Yes," you can certainly produce music using the Spirit Pro for the lowest of sub-bass regions. It's linear and extends to the lowest of lows. It does not have a mid-bass hump like the 7520, or pretty much every other can out there.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #235 of 1,765

I had the 7520 for about 11 months and loved them as my ultimate closed-back solution. The answer to your question is "Yes," you can certainly produce music using the Spirit Pro for the lowest of sub-bass regions. It's linear and extends to the lowest of lows. It does not have a mid-bass hump like the 7520, or pretty much every other can out there.

Ok, thanks for the feedback, i'd really like to be sure Focal improved the "PRO's" in every compartments and overall sounding.. I was really disappointed with the "ONE's" and can't find a buyer... / ... because of the "PRO's & Classics" I guess..
Anyway, you was really in love with the 7520's you've dismissed.. for the PRO's.. and as i kinda trust your statements :)
What about the cable...? no need to swap for a V-moda cord..?
Thanks.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #236 of 1,765
  Ok, thanks for the feedback, i'd really like to be sure Focal improved the "PRO's" in every compartments and overall sounding.. I was really disappointed with the "ONE's" and can't find a buyer... / ... because of the "PRO's & Classics" I guess..
Anyway, you was really in love with the 7520's you've dismissed.. for the PRO's.. and as i kinda trust your statements :)
What about the cable...? no need to swap for a V-moda cord..?
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 7520, and never thought anything would come around so soon that could displace it. The Spirit Pro is a great tool, honestly if I was a professional engineer I would definitely own the Spirit Pro.

I am using the v-moda audio cable, but there is no "need". I use it because it's nicer than the Spirit Pro stock cables, although they're not bad or anything. The v-moda is fairly cheap and they're very nice.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #237 of 1,765
The funniest thing is that i now own "your" beloved 7520 headphones, i had them, as a second pair for my GF, from MattTGC... Haha :)
Kinda bonded now.. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #238 of 1,765
  The funniest thing is that i now own "your" beloved 7520 headphones, i had them, as a second pair for my GF, from MattTGC... Haha :)
Kinda bonded now.. 
biggrin.gif

Oh... WOW.
beerchug.gif
Glad to know my babies are being loved somewhere. Looks like Spirit Pro is your next logical step.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #239 of 1,765

Oh... WOW.
beerchug.gif
Glad to know my babies are being loved somewhere. Looks like Spirit Pro is your next logical step.

Yep, i guess you're right, meanwhile, i'll take care of your babies 
angry_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back