Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #196 of 1,765
Guys seriously, unless you have tiny tiny ears and can withstand bone-crushing clamp force stay away from the FSP. It's definitely not for everyone.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #198 of 1,765
Now I"m worried 
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #200 of 1,765
In all honesty though the pads on the FSP are very plush and will mold into your ears over time (20 minutes).  The clamping of the FSP might be really high, but it didn't bother me as much as say-- any Sennheiser model outside of hd700 and 800, the Mad Dogs, and some ultrasones.

It just depends on the person and their tolerance to having their ears being squished up or not.  It's not a comfort thing to me but an annoyance thing.  I prefer to have my ears be free.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #201 of 1,765
Any Preference and why?

Spending more time with the NAD HP-50s today.  On a dac hp amp I am testing the NADs seem a bit more transparent in the mids than the 7520s.  Do not have the Focals on hand any more but the NADs are a very good can as well.  And they fit my ears.  I have several amp dac combos in for review and they all make the NADs sound different.  Could be they are pretty revealing of sources.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #202 of 1,765
  In all honesty though the pads on the FSP are very plush and will mold into your ears over time (20 minutes).  The clamping of the FSP might be really high, but it didn't bother me as much as say-- any Sennheiser model outside of hd700 and 800, the Mad Dogs, and some ultrasones.

It just depends on the person and their tolerance to having their ears being squished up or not.  It's not a comfort thing to me but an annoyance thing.  I prefer to have my ears be free.

+1 for the plushness of the pads. They do form better after they get warm and the depth is pretty good. Clamp on the FSP doesn't really bother me, I've dealt with worse. Pads do soften up after a week or two of use.

But I'm probably abnormal and for the rest of you guys don't think of the FSP as a headphone. Think of it as a human torture device that happens to make sound when plugged in.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #203 of 1,765

I also love how the packaging has some studio foam in it. shows you its for the pros. not the pretty joggers.

havent even heard em yet but they are WAYYY more than tolerable as far as comfort goes. I would even venture to say that these are one of the most comfortable ON-EAR hp's to date because the pads are very nice... but the clamp is tight specially on that noggin^  I do have a big head as you can see and not so tiny ears but since I expected these to be on ear I am pleased. without music isolation is decent but the germans maestros have them beat a little. 

now its time to listen but unfortunately I dont have my DAC/AMP and its only my iMAC headphone out.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #207 of 1,765
so far and what is noticed right away:
(didnt take alpha pads off yamaha)
- I can hear the pro's have a slightly fuller lower midrange
- the pro is NOT bass light and would agree with M-13.
- the yamaha has no reason to be scared anymore though they are a lot closer than I thought they would be.
- isolation is good but not the best out there
- build feels better than yamaha
- responds to eq well for more bass
- yamaha sounds more open and spacious
- similar bass textures pro maybe a smidge tighter with less impact
- pro has more balanced highs and the balance is spot on I mean spot on!
- pro is a slightly smoother listen, yamaha a tiny bit more raw, crisp. I wouldnt want smoother than the pro. I think it is spot on in timbre. The tones of the yamaha are just as clear and awesome though.
- I clearly prefer the pro over the sony though. The sony to me had a lot of things it did better than the yamaha mainly bass resolution which basically made me just say that the sony had better resolution. But both the yamaha and the pro have better timbres and tones sounding more realistic and life like. I also did that comparison before the yamaha which needs a lotttt of burn in. The sony was burned in. The space around the pro and yamaha instruments are great. When i do a review/full write up or whatever I will be a lot more accurate in my assessments.

but M-13 was right in making an appreciation thread for the PRO there is tons to appreciate about it.

before I said the sony was more transparent than the yamaha but that was pre-burn in.

lastly @Dreyka is certainly not an audio professional but a good writer with great ears just a bit too expectant of perfection in aesthetics. I can immediately tell these are for the Studio and may or may not keep them in the home studio I am setting up after heading them up with the yamaha more. 

I can say that If I pick the yamaha it may be because they are more than good enough and the pro didnt fully win me over and I want to use the pro money for something else. Not because the yamaha is the better tool. <++++that is a forecast and self speculation...

The problem is that i really want the crack and hd650 or pandora hopeVI so I will see.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #208 of 1,765
I'm debated between Yamaha 220 and Focal Pro. Would you please answer the following questions?
- in your opinion, which of the two reproduces vocals and piano more accurately ?
- it seems that Focal pads are glued, are 220 pads easily removable?

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #209 of 1,765
I'm debated between Yamaha 220 and Focal Pro. Would you please answer the following questions?
- in your opinion, which of the two reproduces vocals and piano more accurately ?
- it seems that Focal pads are glued, are 220 pads easily removable?

Qn 1. I'm going to pick the Yamaha (even though this is the FSP thread)!
Qn 2. Yes

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #210 of 1,765
  so far and what is noticed right away:
(didnt take alpha pads off yamaha)
- I can hear the pro's have a slightly fuller lower midrange
- the pro is NOT bass light and would agree with M-13.
- the yamaha has no reason to be scared anymore though they are a lot closer than I thought they would be.
- isolation is good but not the best out there
- build feels better than yamaha
- responds to eq well for more bass
- yamaha sounds more open and spacious
- similar bass textures pro maybe a smidge tighter with less impact
- pro has more balanced highs and the balance is spot on I mean spot on!
- pro is a slightly smoother listen, yamaha a tiny bit more raw, crisp. I wouldnt want smoother than the pro. I think it is spot on in timbre. The tones of the yamaha are just as clear and awesome though.
- I clearly prefer the pro over the sony though. The sony to me had a lot of things it did better than the yamaha mainly bass resolution which basically made me just say that the sony had better resolution. But both the yamaha and the pro have better timbres and tones sounding more realistic and life like. I also did that comparison before the yamaha which needs a lotttt of burn in. The sony was burned in. The space around the pro and yamaha instruments are great. When i do a review/full write up or whatever I will be a lot more accurate in my assessments.

but M-13 was right in making an appreciation thread for the PRO there is tons to appreciate about it.

before I said the sony was more transparent than the yamaha but that was pre-burn in.

lastly @Dreyka is certainly not an audio professional but a good writer with great ears just a bit too expectant of perfection in aesthetics. I can immediately tell these are for the Studio and may or may not keep them in the home studio I am setting up after heading them up with the yamaha more. 

I can say that If I pick the yamaha it may be because they are more than good enough and the pro didnt fully win me over and I want to use the pro money for something else. Not because the yamaha is the better tool. <++++that is a forecast and self speculation...

The problem is that i really want the crack and hd650 or pandora hopeVI so I will see.

Awesome update grizzlybeast, or should I say teddybear more like it. 
(I kid, I kid - chicks dig teddy bears, I hate them for this reason
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I need to hear me a pair of these.  Now to run for cover before I get decked by this hulking mass of a fellar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back