Flawless albums
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #811 of 941

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #813 of 941

I second this suggestion. Mingus is a Magus and the public show know him much more then they do. Everyone in the Jazz world know and honor him, but the world should as well.

Switching genre, This is another masterpiece, Junior Brown - Guit with it, every song is great and the steel guitar work is outstanding!
I especially like Highway Patrol and My Wife Thinks You're Dead. Very funny lyrics and tremendous musicianship.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #814 of 941
  I'm as big of a Radiohead(minus Amnesiac) fan as you'll find, but can somebody explain how Fitter, Happier is not a filler? It may accomplish something in the album, but it doesn't stand out by itself (in a good way) at all.

Well it's a commentary on the switch from analogue to digital, plus you would know if it was filler because Thom would **** all over it like he did with High and Dry. And I'm surprised to hear your opinion on Amnesiac. I used to also dislike it but even so, it has some amazing tracks like Pyramid Song, Knives Out, You And Whose Army, and Life In A Glass House.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #815 of 941
Well it's a commentary on the switch from analogue to digital, plus you would know if it was filler because Thom would **** all over it like he did with High and Dry. And I'm surprised to hear your opinion on Amnesiac. I used to also dislike it but even so, it has some amazing tracks like Pyramid Song, Knives Out, You And Whose Army, and Life In A Glass House.

I don't particularly dislike Fitter Happier, but I've never really found it an essential part of the album.

I also wasn't a big fan of Amnesiac, it was good but I didn't find it amazing like Kid A or In Rainbows. Knives Out is probably my favorite from the album.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #820 of 941
As a first response I'd say Revolver by The Beatles (yes, I even like Yellow Submarine!), Sticky Fingers by the Stones, and although I'm not a huge Zep fan, I always thought Physical Graffiti was pretty close to perfect.

You've got me thinking now
blink.gif

Will probably have a list of 20 albums by tomorrow.....

(I may even be able to choose one from within the last 10 years!) 

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #822 of 941
There's not much to choose between those three actually. For me Revolver always just pushed slightly ahead of Rubber Soul - I like the psychedelic guitars and the air of boundaries being expanded that pervades the album. Also, my first ever Beatles album was the Red 62-66 which included about half of Rubber Soul, so when I came to hear the album in its own right it didn't quite hit me with the impact it deserved.

You're right though, Abbey Road is on a par with Revolver, maybe even better, but for me personally Revolver is The One.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #824 of 941
  There's not much to choose between those three actually. For me Revolver always just pushed slightly ahead of Rubber Soul - I like the psychedelic guitars and the air of boundaries being expanded that pervades the album. Also, my first ever Beatles album was the Red 62-66 which included about half of Rubber Soul, so when I came to hear the album in its own right it didn't quite hit me with the impact it deserved.

You're right though, Abbey Road is on a par with Revolver, maybe even better, but for me personally Revolver is The One.

I'd agree. While Abbey Road is almost certainly on par, Revolver just has the feeling of a complete, solid album, and I find it to be closer to flawless. I never did find Rubber Soul on par with AR and Revolver, however; I'd give that to Sgt. Pepper's.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #825 of 941
The Beetles always cause discussions like this. It might be a good topic for a new thread, which album is a particular bands "best" or which is your favorite album by a particular band. I have always preferred Abby Road over both Revolver and Rubber Soul. I agree Revolver has a feeling of expanding the boundaries of music feel that is unique but Abby Road is the Beatles at, IMHO, the pinnacle of all their powers. Firing on all cylinders so to speak. Sometimes when you are experimenting you have an idea that is great but it takes several attempts to get it exactly right. After conducting these experiments experience takes over and the final product benefits greatly from all that practice and experience.

Another band that has similar fan opinions regarding their various albums is Pink Floyd. Many, many bands has this issue but I want to use Pink Floyd in order to mention an album I find to be excellent and near flawless, Pink Floyds' Animals album. Many people will site Dark side of the Moon, The Wall or even Wish You Were Here as flawless or their favorite albums. I don't disagree that those are all great albums but Animals, to me, is an unsung Masterpiece. Each song is a focused, wickedly intelligent case study, metaphor and musical hallucination. Each is unique and complete unto themselves, but when combined, the four songs on this album make a cohesive whole that is even greater then the sum of it's parts. I particularly like the uprising of the sheep in a surreal, Animal Farmesque bloody coup. It's dark, but it is fantastically original and cool. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back