Flawless albums
Sep 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #782 of 941
Here ya'go:

Kate Bush -Aerial (a masterpiece of pondering)

Re-Flex -The Politics of Dancing (I DARE you to not dance to the whole album)

Led Zeppelin 1
Depeche Mode -Violator
Ashley Monroe -The Blade
James Blunt - Moon Landing
Deep Purple -Fireball
Foghat - Rock N Roll Outlaws

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #785 of 941
This might have been mentioned already but Pink Floyd - The Division Bell. Hugely underated, grows with every listening.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #786 of 941

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

Musically a great album, but a horrible recording as it is mastered so loud that the notion of dynamic range wasn't just abandoned, it was destroyed! Makes me wonder why such a talented band would allow any label to do that to a great work. It would be like a great novel being written in all capital letters, or a well scripted movie having ever line shouted as loud as possible. There is a saying, if everything is emphasized, then nothing is emphasized. Anyway, great album, but if recording quality is part of the criteria that bad boy has to go.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #787 of 941
One can only hope for a remaster. Incredible album musically indeed!

Musically a great album, but a horrible recording as it is mastered so loud that the notion of dynamic range wasn't just abandoned, it was destroyed! Makes me wonder why such a talented band would allow any label to do that to a great work. It would be like a great novel being written in all capital letters, or a well scripted movie having ever line shouted as loud as possible. There is a saying, if everything is emphasized, then nothing is emphasized. Anyway, great album, but if recording quality is part of the criteria that bad boy has to go.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #788 of 941
Oct 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #789 of 941
The funny thing is I went and bought that album the midnight it released at Easy Street Records (the original under the space needle). Played it non-stop from 06-08, this was before I was into the whole audio thing. And because of that I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it for all it was; I don't think I can say the same today. Maybe the hd650 and the warmest tube in the collection..

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #790 of 941
The funny thing is I went and bought that album the midnight it released at Easy Street Records (the original under the space needle). Played it non-stop from 06-08, this was before I was into the whole audio thing. And because of that I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it for all it was; I don't think I can say the same today. Maybe the hd650 and the warmest tube in the collection..

I​f you listen to it for any length of time, at least for me, at any volume over very quiet, it is quite fatiguing. I think many people fail to realize how important some dynamic range is for allowing our brain to not become over-saturated with sound information is. That said, I do like the fatter plump sound so some amazing dynamic range recordings sound unengaging to me. It is a real treat when you find a recording that can balance these seeming solitudes.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #791 of 941
http://www.hdtracks.com/stadium-arcadium-239222
----- 10/5 edit:
After a full run through the HDTRACKS remaster (down sampled to 48/16 via SoX plugin on foobar to work with my NOS Multi-bit Dac) I can say that I'm listening to Stadium Arcadium with my he560 without my ears bleeding of bloody treble.

It's still not the best but quite a leap from the original release. I believe the drums was just recorded too loudly and they've boosted everything to even/compress out (orig release). On the hdtracks release it still gets crammed when the drums and guitar are getting it but when things soften out you can hear a lot of nuance/detail lost in compression from the orig release.

I'm all smiles and $20 well spent. Now reliving my wilder years with some nice gear to hear it better. :)

-----end edit.
I​f you listen to it for any length of time, at least for me, at any volume over very quiet, it is quite fatiguing. I think many people fail to realize how important some dynamic range is for allowing our brain to not become over-saturated with sound information is. That said, I do like the fatter plump sound so some amazing dynamic range recordings sound unengaging to me. It is a real treat when you find a recording that can balance these seeming solitudes.
Last word of derailment then back on track.. I've been told that the hd tracks version if Stadium Arcadium recently released (past 6 months iirc) is in fact a remaster. There's a $20 hope, probably a good idea to play the test tracks and check for compression.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #793 of 941
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #794 of 941
Genesis - Duke
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade 
Boz Scaggs - Middle Man
Queen - The Miracle
Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
Extreme - III Sides to Every Story
Toto - Toto IV
Mr. Big - Deep Cuts
Phil Collins - But Seriously
Rush - Moving Pictures
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #795 of 941
  Genesis - Duke
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade 
Boz Scaggs - Middle Man
Queen - The Miracle
Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
Extreme - III Sides to Every Story
Toto - Toto IV
Mr. Big - Deep Cuts
Phil Collins - But Seriously
Rush - Moving Pictures
Supertramp - Breakfast in America

Supertramp - Crime of the Century

I feel that The Miracle is a severely underrated album. Many great songs on it that are often passed over in favor of their bigger hits.

Moving Pictures is also a great album. Solid throughout, just a well-done album in my opinion.

Breakfast in America is probably my favorite on here. I first listened to this after being gifted a handful of records, which included Breakfast in America with the record being in perfect condition. I can't find a song on it that I dislike; every song adds something and fits well. Really a great album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back