FLAC Player for iOS - Call for Beta Testers
Sep 12, 2011 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Leehro

New Head-Fier

Hello All,

I'm pleased to announce a limited beta test for FLAC Player 1.2.0.  If you'd be willing to help test the upcoming version, please send an email to beta@hammockdistrict.com and include the following information:

Device Type (iPhone 4 / iPad / iPod touch / etc)
Software Version (3.2 / 4.3 / 5.0 / etc)
Any external DAC or Accessories (AirPlay Speakers, etc) you will be using
Device UDID:  http://www.innerfence.com/howto/find-iphone-unique-device-identifier-udid

This beta includes the following new features:

Playlists - support for M3U playlists, also creating and editing playlists within the app
Album/Artist browsing - With valid FLAC Metadata, songs are organized by Album and Artist 
Performance/responsiveness enhancements during importing, artwork browsing, etc.
Bug Fixes addressing duplicate directories/collections

This beta will install alongside the App Store version of FLAC Player.

Regards,

Dan

http://hammockdistrict.com

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 26
Same question here, do we need to purchase the App first? How much time the beta will be? (will we have time to listen on a few headphones and/or amp/dac setup's? )

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 26
Nope, don't need to purchase the app first.  But if you participate in the beta (and provide feedback) I'll send a promo code to get the app store version for free (or an equivalent iTunes credit if you already bought FLAC Player)

This beta is primarily to test the new features (Playlists and organization), the audio quality or DAC compatibility would not have changed since 1.1.1.  

I expect there will be a few betas released, turned over in a week or so.  The beta copies will expire in a few months, but long after the final version is released.  The development has been stable for a while now.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 26
Got quite a few responses, should be enough for now.  
I may open this up again in a week or two.  Thanks for your participation everyone, I expect to send out download links tomorrow

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 26
Did some testing of 1.2 today.  Overall operation was good as was SQ.  I was playing out through an Algorythm Solo. 

I set up a play list in the app for the first time and I had a few slight delays/skips.  I hadn't noticed any when I was playing from a "collection".  I shut down all my other apps and still had one skip during playback, but I noticed that I had push mail activated.  I plan to reload my tracks, I've just been upgrading versions and haven't done a reload of FLAC tracks.  I'll also shut down mail pushes to see if it gives a little more processing power to the player to avoid those skips.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 26
So far I've tested the beta on my iPhone (Verizon) and Touch 2G. On the Touch, I occasionally hear a brief pause in the music, maybe a few minutes into listening. Playlists seem to work fine, although I wish we could add a song to a playlist directly from the "Playing Now" screen.

I would also love to have .Cue file support, and I don't think I'm alone. Many digital albums now come as 1 large file and require a .cue reader to navigate between tracks. Dan, is this something you can add? .APE and .WV support would be great too.

Finally, if I hit the Home button while a song is playing on my Touch, the music stops. Is there a way to keep the music playing even if I'm in Safari or the Settings screen? This isn't a problem on my iPhone.

Thanks Dan for continuing to work on this awesome app!

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 26
If the testing is still available then I would like to participate too. I have an iPod touch 3rd Gen and am using it with the Onkyo ND-S1 dock.

kindest regards, Peter

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
If the testing is still available then I would like to participate too. I have an iPod touch 3rd Gen and am using it with the Onkyo ND-S1 dock.

kindest regards, Peter

+1

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
Album/Artist browsing - With valid FLAC Metadata, songs are organized by Album and Artist 

Does this mean that Collections can be viewed & navigated by an "Artist->Album" hierarchy in the new version? 
That would be preferable to the current album-only view.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 26
As a fresh user of your app I'd like to say thanks for a great app for playing high-res flac on iOS! WiFi sync works a charm on iOS 5!

I'd be happy to help test if you need, but would also like wish for a feature: CompactPlayerMode.
A mode where my screen turns into a big Next, Previous and Play/Pause button. So I can use it in the car while driving w/o having to stop to change songs. I know the buttons are at the same place all the time, but having a very big next or pause button would be a great addition (IMHO).

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 26
just send you an email :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 26
Here's an update, since I haven't responded to the last couple of people to contact me about the beta.

The beta test of FLAC Player is completed, thanks to the testing and feedback from many of you.  I've been amazed by the participation in this community, and the response has been overwhelming.

FLAC Player 1.2.0 has been approved and will be released on Monday October 10, 2011.  So keep an eye on the App Store, and I'll certainly be back for more testers for the next version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back