FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Aug 23, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #736 of 4,896
Quote:

Perhaps people round here just don't know that iBuds need to be gently pressed against your ears to sound good?

I envision hilarious street scenes, once word gets out. 
wink.gif

:)

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #739 of 4,896
Some stunning—real—music and a brilliant performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dPldwWSuc

In order of preference (read: which IEM, in my view, renders this particular piece more convincingly): FI-BA-SS > K3003 > F111 > 1601SS > 1602SS > TG 334.

Funny I've read several posts by two very popular / credible HF'ers who have stated the 334's low end is better than the low end on the much maligned K3003. My ears keep telling me tell me this is most certainly not the case (having compared both IEMs with quite a few albums), and that the K3003 is indeed an exceptional IEM.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #740 of 4,896
I have no other IEMs to compare with, except the Sony XBA-3s and Hifiman RE-ZEROs, so this may not be helpful, but Anakchan lent me his 334s for a couple of weeks to try. After listening with them for a while, my full-sized headphones sound very mid-foward and I feel the bass is  fairly strong (though not overdone, but I do wonder if they weren't tuned towards iPod or iPhone use) and they have a sharp peak in the treble that brings out sibilance with a lot of music, but is great with jazz and classical.  My feeling is that they are very good, but have a sound that reminds me more of when I owned Denons, which have somewhat recessed mids, which is why they give an impression of a wide soundstage.

With that track, by the way, I tend to like listening to small jazz groups with headphones that are somewhat mid forward to bring the instruments closer but have something of a bass kick too. HD-800s can end up giving instruments too much space, for example, but Grados have that closeness and intensity that works very well. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #741 of 4,896
Quote:
Some stunning—real—music and a brilliant performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dPldwWSuc

In order of preference (read: which IEM, in my view, renders this particular piece more convincingly): FI-BA-SS > K3003 > F111 > 1601SS > 1602SS > TG 334.

Funny I've read several posts by two very popular / credible HF'ers who have stated the 334's low end is better than the low end on the much maligned K3003. My ears keep telling me tell me this is most certainly not the case (having compared both IEMs with quite a few albums), and that the K3003 is indeed an exceptional IEM.

Fantastic piece. I am in no position to comment on these comparisons. I will say that this is moving me on the 1602SS.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #742 of 4,896
Quote:
I have no other IEMs to compare with, except the Sony XBA-3s and Hifiman RE-ZEROs, so this may not be helpful, but Anakchan lent me his 334s for a couple of weeks to try. After listening with them for a while, my full-sized headphones sound very mid-foward and I feel the bass is  fairly strong (though not overdone, but I do wonder if they weren't tuned towards iPod or iPhone use) and they have a sharp peak in the treble that brings out sibilance with a lot of music, but is great with jazz and classical.  My feeling is that they are very good, but have a sound that reminds me more of when I owned Denons, which have somewhat recessed mids, which is why they give an impression of a wide soundstage.

With that track, by the way, I tend to like listening to small jazz groups with headphones that are somewhat mid forward to bring the instruments closer but have something of a bass kick too. HD-800s can end up giving instruments too much space, for example, but Grados have that closeness and intensity that works very well. 

Haven't heard the XBA-3 or RE-ZERO, so can't comment on those. Also, unfortunately, music_4321 and full-sized headphones just don't get on (I've always found cans uncomfortable after only 20-30 mins).

That said, I don't really find the 334s to be necessarily tuned for iPod/iPhone use as you suggest, though they are certainly very easy to drive, perhaps too easy to drive even — I simply find them to have a particular flavour (colour), and a great flavour at that. But the 334s are not my favourite phone. If I could only keep one phone, it'd be the more mid-centric—and fairly idiosyncratic—1602SS, followed very closely by the 1601SS.

It's interesting you find the 334s (compared to your full-sized phones) to be less mid-forward. I say this because I think the 334's mids are one of its strong suits, though not the best mids I've personally heard. But I find even more surprising that you say the 334s "have a sharp peak in the treble that brings out sibilance with a lot of music" — I couldn't disagree more with that assessment. If anything, I find the 334 to be a reasonably forgiving phone in the upper registers (including upper mids).

While I agree the 334 can be quite good with classical music and jazz (I tend to mostly listen to classical music, BTW), I'd say the 334 is not that good with orchestral music (the FI-BA-SS, K3003 & F111 render classical orchestral works more faithfully, in my view). I find the 334s, however, do excel with plenty of chamber and solo works, but sometimes the low-end, unfortunately, is a little too pronounced for my liking.

The 334s are great, though, with plenty of modern rock, pop & metal, and make not so good recordings—plenty of which fall into the so-called loudness wars category, and also bright recordings—quite good (or very tolerable unlike the FI-BA-SS, F111 and even, at times, the K3003).

It may seem as if I'm saying the 334 is best with poorly recorded material — no necessarily so, but it is certainly, to these ears, more forgiving and, as I've said before, it is a better all-rounder in many instances, in my view, though I still think the K3003 is an even better all-rounder if one also happens to listen to a fair share of classical music & jazz.
Quote:

Fantastic piece. I am in no position to comment on these comparisons. I will say that this is moving me on the 1602SS.

Yes, the 1602SS (and 1601SS) render this track brilliantly, too, and they do add something (good) that all other IEMs do not.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #743 of 4,896
This isn't the first time I've heard mention of a peak or sibilance in the treble of the 334's, I wonder if the 334 may be like the Westone 3 in that the tips and/or fit cause an inordinate amount of sibilance for a certain amount of people.

Currawong, did you try any different tips on the 334 when you had them?

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #744 of 4,896
Quote:
This isn't the first time I've heard mention of a peak or sibilance in the treble of the 334's, I wonder if the 334 may be like the Westone 3 in that the tips and/or fit cause an inordinate amount of sibilance for a certain amount of people.

The 334 sounded bright and sibilant when not properly driven. Sure, it runs loud and sounded 'ok' out of most sources (including ipods and phones) but when paired with a good amp, there is no sign of sibilant at all. The highs are very very smooth and easy to listen to without sacrificing any details.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #746 of 4,896

Quote:
Quote:

The 334 sounded bright and sibilant when not properly driven. Sure, it runs loud and sounded 'ok' out of most sources (including ipods and phones) but when paired with a good amp, there is no sign of sibilant at all. The highs are very very smooth and easy to listen to without sacrificing any details.

I have tried them with almost every amp I have here -- Phoenix, RX3, SR-71B, DX100, HP-P1 and Pico Slim.  I only have the one set of tips that Anakchan sent with them. They extend a couple of mm beyond the end of the plastic and I've found that tips that have anything like a tube extending beyond the end of the IEM body can make for an irritating treble, so that could very well be the reason for my impressions. I'll see if I don't have some other tips that fit more flush.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #747 of 4,896
As with most IEMs, I think this has absolutely nothing to do with whether one uses an amp or not, and much more to do with the type of tips one uses. This indeed is a tip-related issue. I use the stock medium single-flange tips with both the TG 334 & F111. I personally found the stock bi-flange tips made the 334s sound too thin, with anaemic bass, poor mids and too bright highs. I didn't even bother to check whether there was any sibilance or not because those tips sounded completely different (read: wrong) to the ones I've been using (and had been using previously with the F111s).

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #748 of 4,896
Quote:
I have tried them with almost every amp I have here -- Phoenix, RX3, SR-71B, DX100, HP-P1 and Pico Slim.  I only have the one set of tips that Anakchan sent with them. They extend a couple of mm beyond the end of the plastic and I've found that tips that have anything like a tube extending beyond the end of the IEM body can make for an irritating treble, so that could very well be the reason for my impressions. I'll see if I don't have some other tips that fit more flush.

Hmm... I am using the double-flanges one which is even longer and puts me further away from the titanium bores. The standard tip didn't work for me while the double-flange seems to improve quite a bit on the depth of the soundstage when compared to the standard tip. All our ears are different so it might help if AnakChan could forward you the rest of the tips. *winks winks*

The 334 works great with my Asgard (very warm sounding) as well as the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII w/ OPA209 (very flat and detailed). Have not tried the 334 with those amps you mentioned yet.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #749 of 4,896
I have no problem driving the Fitear togo 334 with iphone 4S,  using the O2 amplifier the soundstage is wider and
the bass extension is better.  I use the stock tip and I am happy with the result and the bass response is very good
with good dynamicity so I don't bother changing anything.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #750 of 4,896
I'll clarify my post a bit. I don't follow any Westone 3 threads or information anymore but when they first came out the majority of users didn't seem to have any sibilance issues with them but there was a significant number of people that had an incredibly hard time finding tips that didn't have an amount of sibilance present. It seemed if they stuck with it they could usually find something that would work but I think quite a few gave up trying in frustration before finding one.

I've never seen quite such a polarizing IEM in this aspect and although there's a much more limited sample rate I've noticed shades of this behavior while reading all the 334 information so I can't help but wonder if it may be the case where the majority never have such issues but a group of people end up fighting with tip selection combating it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back