FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #722 of 4,896
Quote:
Would you and anyone else who has heard both please elaborate? I feel that I'm not getting the sound with the W4's that I want.

In what ways do you find the W4 lacking? That would help clarify what you're looking for in an IEM....

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #723 of 4,896
Quote:

In what ways do you find the W4 lacking? That would help clarify what you're looking for in an IEM....

Stronger bass, not the range so much but a little thump where its supposed to be would be nice. The recordings are not the best and am listening to them on a iPod. There is no sparkle on a lot of the songs. The detail is good but I'm not really involved its more like I'm just observing. 
Sound-stage: To me on some songs I can picture a stage and the musicians and their instruments are lined up playing in a straight line. It is one dimensional though and I am not being surrounded by sound.

Hope this makes some sense.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #724 of 4,896
Quote:
Stronger bass, not the range so much but a little thump where its supposed to be would be nice. The recordings are not the best and am listening to them on a iPod. There is no sparkle on a lot of the songs. The detail is good but I'm not really involved its more like I'm just observing. 
Sound-stage: To me on some songs I can picture a stage and the musicians and their instruments are lined up playing in a straight line. It is one dimensional though and I am not being surrounded by sound.

Hope this makes some sense.

For bass, since I don't still have access to the W4, I can't really say if it's that much stronger on the TG!334's... perhaps someone else who has possession of both can clear that one up. I thought they were pretty similar in the amount of low end, with perhaps a tad more controlled weight (i.e. quicker, yet a touch deeper) on the 334's... but that's from memory of a recent listening session with a friend. The TG!334 is somewhat forgiving of lower end recordings as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, so that's a plus for you. They're also ridiculously easy to drive, so an amp is not a necessity by any means. For treble sparkle and energy, I know I recall hearing significantly more in the highs over the W4's. That was one of the biggest differences, and strongest suits of the TG!334. Also, soundstage was as you're looking for much more encompassing than the Westone's. They do a great job creating a sense of where instruments are coming from. Prior to hearing the TG!334, I would have said a more one-dimensional soundstage was just a given with most IEM's, but it surely is not the case with the TG!334. 

Except for possibly the bass, it seems they have what you're looking for... But I'm sure others will chime in though on direct W4/TG!334 comparisons for you. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #725 of 4,896
How does the 334 compare to the EXk? (which im currently using)? Also I understand that this is a unfair comparison but how does the 334 compare to full sizes like the T1 and HD800? Been wanting to get a top tier full size but worried that my setup would not bring the best out if it, would the similiarly priced 334 stand toe to toe with them?

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #726 of 4,896
How does the 334 compare to the EXk? (which im currently using)? Also I understand that this is a unfair comparison but how does the 334 compare to full sizes like the T1 and HD800? Been wanting to get a top tier full size but worried that my setup would not bring the best out if it, would the similiarly priced 334 stand toe to toe with them?

You shouldn't compare iems to full size headphones, you should be comparing the 334 to your ex1000 not your hd800.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #727 of 4,896
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #729 of 4,896
Quote:
You shouldn't compare iems to full size headphones, you should be comparing the 334 to your ex1000 not your hd800.

I couldn't agree more.

Now, could someone please compare the 334s to Apple's iBuds?

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #731 of 4,896
Quote:

I tried LCD2 with a very expensive cable. I will keep my Westone ES5's with an even more expensive cable thanks. As good as they are they aren't significantly wow enough to warrant spending another $1500+ on large, open air transducers that can only be used in one place at designated times of the day (quiet room when the kids are in bed). But hey if you're made of money get both.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #732 of 4,896
Quote:

It was that particular brand of humour by that charming character, music_4321 — ie sarcasm. I'd have thought the second part of my post would have made that clear. So, yes, I do believe some IEMs can be compared to full-sized phones, and not necessarily only the ultra expensive universals or customs. I'm pretty sure the W4, UM3X, Heaven-S, EX1000, etc. (without aftermarket cables), which are pretty expensive already, can be compared to several decent cans.

Also—and I'm being serious—I think Apple iBuds are actually pretty decent-sounding, at least certainly (much) better than people would have you believe in these forum threads, where they often get unfairly bashed.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #733 of 4,896
It was that particular brand of humour by that charming character, music_4321 — ie sarcasm. I'd have thought the second part of my post would have made that clear. So, yes, I do believe some IEMs can be compared to full-sized phones, and not necessarily only the ultra expensive universals or customs. I'm pretty sure the W4, UM3X, Heaven-S, EX1000, etc. (without aftermarket cables), which are pretty expensive already, can be compared to several decent cans.

Also—and I'm being serious—I think Apple iBuds are actually pretty decent-sounding, at least certainly (much) better than people would have you believe in these forum threads, where they often get unfairly bashed.

Sorry, the sarcasm went whoosh, right over my head.

I've given my wife numerous phones yet she always seems to go back to the iBuds. Personally, my ears don't get along that well with bud style phones so I've never really tried them, I'll have to sometime.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #734 of 4,896
^  I also have issues with the form factor of ALL buds (canal phones) I've tried so far — they always fall out of my ears. However, when I hold and gently press the iBuds against my ears, I can tell they're definitely not as bad-sounding as people round here often say they are.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #735 of 4,896
Quote:
However, when I hold and gently press the iBuds against my ears, I can tell they're definitely not as bad-sounding as people round here often say they are.

Perhaps people round here just don't know that iBuds need to be gently pressed against your ears to sound good?

I envision hilarious street scenes, once word gets out. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back