Final Audio Design Muramasa VIII
Feb 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #46 of 359

Quote:
Anyone think it's interesting that the listed impedance is 16 ohm? That 8mm tweeter is really doing a number on the wiring scheme.

Oh, and agree with the HK businessmen, as well as the upcoming MURAMASA IX and X...
 ​
This is madness!!
No... this is MURAMASA!!!

Seriously.....

I can't keep up with those Chinese dudes. I thought I was pushing the envelope when I spent a few thousand at the terminal 3 wine shop (Dubai Airport) unit the guy next to me wrote off 90 grand on booze without batting an eye.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #49 of 359
Don't read too far into the low Impedence thing. I'm guessing the Muramasa's will require a hefty amount of current to drive correctly and is probably going to be very picky when it comes to amps.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #52 of 359
I strongly expect them to be rubbish. Very strongly. Even if they somehow aren't...$8k? We don't need a company trying to make headphones more ridiculous than the ED-10s.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #53 of 359
Based on my experience with both companies---Ultrasone and Final Audio---I personally have more faith in the engineering abilities of the latter. Their IEMs are generally very, very good. Of course that's no indication of how their first attempt at a full-sized headphone will succeed, but they've been at this for a while.

I certainly do agree that we don't need headphone companies marketing such expensive headphones. But such things are not necessities anyway. They're irrational desires. FAD caters to those few who harbor such irrational desires and are willing (and able) to pay exorbitantly for it. FAD has a small but loyal niche following, and I don't really see this headphone negatively impacting our hobby as a whole.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #54 of 359
At 850g, I guess the headphone will really give good neck exercise to the wearer. It's gonna be hard to bob your head around when wearing it.
L3000.gif

The specs says that it has a 40mm main driver, and a 8mm driver for high frequency, but it doesn't have crossover it seems. So it's a two way unit, but a single driver?

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #55 of 359
850g is somewhere around 1.9 pounds. When did 2 pounds become a large amount of weight? They could be good, they could be crap. The only fact we know about these are that they are gorgeous, so I'm keeping an open mind towards them until I have a set on my head. There's no need to go the route of the AKG K3003i thread before anyone has heard them.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #56 of 359
People complain all the time about Audeze's headphones and those are ~500g. These are almost double that. Yes they are very heavy. HD650 is about 250g, HD800 about 350g.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #57 of 359
These headphones require a level of submission and surrender I find compelling. It requires a major commitment: first the money required to obtain them, and then secondly the discomfort one must endure to wear them. These headphones are the material representation of the question "how far are you willing to go to listen?" They're not so much an aesthetic statement as they are an ascetic one.

The line between pleasure and pain can be difficult to delineate at times. This is the headphone equivalent of a bondage performance. Just don't forget the safe word.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #58 of 359

Quote:
These headphones require a level of submission and surrender I find compelling. It requires a major commitment: first the money required to obtain them, and then secondly the discomfort one must endure to wear them. These headphones are the material representation of the question "how far are you willing to go to listen?" They're not so much an aesthetic statement as they are an ascetic one.

The line between pleasure and pain can be difficult to delineate at times. This is the headphone equivalent of a bondage performance. Just don't forget the safe word.

That, I find, is quite a Japanese thing. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back