Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #5,641 of 11,645
  I finally has an opportunity to get a Piano Forte VIII at a special show price.  I just received them today.

I have to say that my first impression is quite disapointing
frown.gif
 : There is real lack of bass that make treble piercing and fatiguing.  This is quite far from the listening impressions that I read and were speaking about "relaxing...subtile...".

is it normal ? do they improve with break-in ?  are there some recommended music with them...
thanks in advance for your advice

You are right about the lack of bass. The PFs require certain music - they don't replace your other headphones. But they also require a certain mindset.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5,643 of 11,645
  I finally has an opportunity to get a Piano Forte VIII at a special show price.  I just received them today.

I have to say that my first impression is quite disapointing
frown.gif
 : There is real lack of bass that make treble piercing and fatiguing.  This is quite far from the listening impressions that I read and were speaking about "relaxing...subtile...".

is it normal ? do they improve with break-in ?  are there some recommended music with them...

thanks in advance for your advice

You're not going to get much bass extension from the Piano Forte family, unfortunately. That's just their unique signature which has a definite mids focus, and it's something people will either love or hate. The break-in for these is mostly mental in my experience: you have to be in the mood for their unique style, and going into them for the first time can be extremely jarring, especially coming from some other more "modern sounding" headphones.

The brass housing has a bit more "energy" to its sound compared to the others; the most warm and relaxing is the copper PFX in my experience, while the stainless PFIX is the most balanced (relatively speaking).

My favorite genres for these are classic pop, psychedelic rock, shoegaze, 80s new wave, and folk music. Basically stuff with a lot of atmosphere, fuzzy guitars, reverb, etc.

You might want to try experimenting with some cored foam tips, as you can stretch them over the ear piece to get a more insulated sound when fitted in your ears. This improves the bass presence, but it sacrifices air and soundstage somewhat.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,644 of 11,645
^well said.  That metal can is a nice touch and matches the Piano Forte upper echelons from an aesthetics point of view, although less practical than the zippered hard case that came with my VIII.  It is my goto for anything live, jazz (especially female vocals), large theatrical performances, and where natural instruments are heavy at play.  If you have the Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" album, try that and see if your initial VIII experience turns for the better. My Heavens are for everything else.

Rin did a technical overview on them a few years back and despite his technical and subjective POV, he does provide useful methods of manipulation similar to what Muppet suggested for sound alteration, but like she said, there are consequences that renders the unique magic of the Piano Forte - lost, IMO.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,645 of 11,645
  so improving comfort compromises sound?
Hm, I might try the complys anyhow. See how...

I have ordered now the InAir Foam tips.
They will wait for me when I arrive in Germany next week.
The stock tips are somehow itchy, although sounding very good. I would be very sad if I would
have to give such a great sounding IEM away due to comfort issues...

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,646 of 11,645

You're not going to get much bass extension from the Piano Forte family, unfortunately. That's just their unique signature which has a definite mids focus, and it's something people will either love or hate. The break-in for these is mostly mental in my experience: you have to be in the mood for their unique style, and going into them for the first time can be extremely jarring, especially coming from some other more "modern sounding" headphones.

The brass housing has a bit more "energy" to its sound compared to the others; the most warm and relaxing is the copper PFX in my experience, while the stainless PFIX is the most balanced (relatively speaking).

My favorite genres for these are classic pop, psychedelic rock, shoegaze, 80s new wave, and folk music. Basically stuff with a lot of atmosphere, fuzzy guitars, reverb, etc.

You might want to try experimenting with some cored foam tips, as you can stretch them over the ear piece to get a more insulated sound when fitted in your ears. This improves the bass presence, but it sacrifices air and soundstage somewhat.

thanks for the advice.  

I will listen to them again with a different state of mind : I will not try anymore to compare to other headphones, just relax... 
redface.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,647 of 11,645
thanks for the advice.  

I will listen to them again with a different state of mind : I will not try anymore to compare to other headphones, just relax... :xf_eek:  

I hope they work out for you. Many here love them. I'm one of the few that doesn't care for them but undertand why many do. I suspect there is a strong nostalgia factor. Anyway this gave me an excuse to quote my old initial impressions for fun.

1601/1602 SB initial impressions

This is what they feel like against your ears:

But they sound like you took two of these:

Stuffed them in two of these:

And rocked them like this:

And I'm left looking like this:

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,648 of 11,645
Don't mean to be an a*******, but i've never seen a review of this company's products that doesn't make them sound like overpriced "lifestyle" products, like the Japanese versions of beats. M2c.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,649 of 11,645
That's nice. So I have to say that the fibass is the only iem that I have ever used that doesn't give me loud footfall noise, with the exception of earbuds. In addition, the heaven VIII has a sound signature that is so sweet that it is addicting. I always wrote off Final through the years on Headfi ant the countless meets and now I am seeing how closed minded I was, and it was all because I had to get my card stamped by them at can jam.☺️

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,651 of 11,645
Don't mean to be an a*******, but i've never seen a review of this company's products that doesn't make them sound like overpriced "lifestyle" products, like the Japanese versions of beats. M2c.

While they are orientated around fashion they also sound quite amazing imo. I was skeptical at first until i demoed them and was able to appreciate them.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,653 of 11,645
Touch of Modern packed up my H7s (I bought two) and is waiting for their shipper to pick them up. The Adagio 3, OTOH, is a step behind - waiting to be packed for shipment.

Yup, I bought 3 FAD IEMs sight unseen, sound unheard.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #5,654 of 11,645
Touch of Modern packed up my H7s (I bought two) and is waiting for their shipper to pick them up. The Adagio 3, OTOH, is a step behind - waiting to be packed for shipment.

Yup, I bought 3 FAD IEMs sight unseen, sound unheard.

Is it true that Touch of Modern's FAD IEM are demo pairs? Or is it a sealed, brand new items?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back