FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,681 of 18,020
Originally Posted by Mython /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...there are far too many DAPs on the market that offer Hi-Res playback but fail miserably to back this up with appropriate storage capacity. Is the X7 going to make this same old mistake, or will it offer something new to encourage audiophiles to buy an X7 instead of a competing product?any of us looking at the X7 for audiophile purposes.

Mython, you make pretty convincing argument, talking about Hi-Res music and the objective need to have more storage space in a modern audio player.

However, I do not feel the need to justify my music or other audio material choices, their size etc even before almighty FiiO.

Yes, Hi-Res music is very important, no one questions that.

But also, if, in addition to my music, I choose to keep and to listen to my teaching courses and audiobooks in the same audiophile player, it does not make me any less audiophile, or that other audio material any less important.

Bottom line: the adequate storage space in a portable audio player is not a luxury, not an impossible dream - just a practical need.

And, when it comes to practical needs, people usually get what they want, on one way or the other.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,682 of 18,020

However, I do not feel the need to justify my music or other audio material choices, their size etc even before almighty FiiO.

However, if, in addition to my music, I choose to keep and listen to my teaching courses and audiobooks in the same audiophile player, it does not make me any less audiophile, or that other audio material any less important.

Bottom line: the adequate storage space in a portable audio player is not a luxury, not an impossible dream - just the practical need.

LOL!  Forgive me, but you seem to be saying 2 different things at the same time
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,683 of 18,020
  ...incidentally, with all due respect to everyone chatting here, I don't personally feel that it is realistic to quote mp3 file sizes for a flagship DSD-capable audiophile DAP. We're talking about high-end playback with this $699 flagship device, which means, at the very least, 16-44.1 flac, for many of us looking at the X7 for audiophile purposes.

So brave.  I said that and got a firestorm in return.  Batten down the hatches, the sea is getting rough.

As for the storage wars, I'm done.  If you folks want unlimited (hah, everything is limited) space, have at it.  Card prices will be coming down soon (looked at 4K TV prices lately?) and then it won't matter so much.  I have 20+ DSDs on one 64gb card and a mix of 16 and 24 on the other and neither card is close to maxed-out (200+ albums).

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,685 of 18,020
It seems my remark about mp3 filesizes is being a little misconstrued - I didn't mean mp3s are irrelevant to be played-back on a Hi-Res DAP. I meant they should not be a defining factor in debating the capacity of a Hi-Res player. In other words, the capacity of a Hi-Res player should, first and foremost, be designed to support a decent music library of large Hi-Res files, and if people wish to also playback smaller mp3 files, then great. I myself have a lot of audiobooks in 64kbps mp3 format, which I often listen to on my DAPs
normal_smile .gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,686 of 18,020
LOL!  Forgive me, but you seem to be saying 2 different things at the same time
smile.gif

You are forgiven
smile.gif

Metaphorically speaking -

Your point: 'I really need this many bullets in my gun, because there are that many criminals in the neighborhood'.

And my point: 'I do not need to justify the number of bullets in my gun to anybody, because we have 2nd Amendment'.

Yes, I mentioned something else on top of that, so what (you can argue the need in more space under Hi-Res music angle, I can argue the need in more space under some other angle, but whatever the angle, the objective need in storage space that currently only mSATA/m.2 can deliver is pretty obvious regardless).

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,687 of 18,020
  It seems my remark about mp3 filesizes is being a little misconstrued - I didn't mean mp3s are irrelevant to be played-back on a Hi-Res DAP. I meant they should not be a defining factor in debating the capacity of a Hi-Res player. In other words, the capacity of a Hi-Res player should, first and foremost, be designed to support a decent music library of large Hi-Res files, and if people wish to also playback smaller mp3 files, then great. I myself have a lot of audiobooks in 64kbps mp3 format, which I often listen to on my DAPs
normal_smile .gif

Oh no , I do agree with this view, it should be measured in average of say FLAC, its just some people here argues for removing anything that is below lossless playback

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,688 of 18,020
Does mSata have any history of failure? I can only imagine a drive failure and rendering the unit a brick as a bad thing. Honestly, I don't know.

I would imaging, due to the fact that mSATA is using flash memory, the failure rate will be less due to the lack of moving parts. Android requires less than 8gb of flash memory to run. a striped down version of android can use less than 1 GB. The x7 could have 8gb of flash on the mother board for OS and APPS and mSATA is storage.

I would also assume that you would store backup of your music in alternate locations in case of data loss.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,689 of 18,020
Let me add my 2 Cents. Sound quality. Price. Build quality. Those are what I look for and those will be what I see when it comes time to buy or not to buy an X7. All the cables and ports and >128GB storage are great but it's the sound quality, price and build quality I use to decide what to spend money on.

If Fiio wants to sell thousands of X7's then it's real simple: Produce a player that sounds slightly better than the X5 at a slightly higher price (375?) and make it smaller or play longer. Simple. Not a complicated issue. Give people what they want and they'll buy it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,690 of 18,020
  Let me add my 2 Cents. Sound quality. Price. Build quality. Those are what I look for and those will be what I see when it comes time to buy or not to buy an X7. All the cables and ports and >128GB storage are great but it's the sound quality, price and build quality I use to decide what to spend money on.

If Fiio wants to sell thousands of X7's then it's real simple: Produce a player that sounds slightly better than the X5 at a slightly higher price (375?) and make it smaller or play longer. Simple. Not a complicated issue. Give people what they want and they'll buy it.

See the 1st post in this thread.

X7 is currently slated to be $699 (though that might change, in the event of modified memory options, if Fiio perhaps decide to pursue that avenue).

X7 is not intended to replace X5 - it is intended to be their statement/flagship DAP for 2015.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,691 of 18,020
The only options talked about by Fiio are amp options within the device.  There has been no talk of storage options by Fiio and as James stated earlier, thanks for the input, now it's in beta testing.  

Fiio apparently intends to have four players across four different price points.  The X7 will have, apparently, the most features, and will cost about $700.  No word on cost of internal amps options.  

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,692 of 18,020
@olddude man, i really do not understand how you need so low space to be happy. i just need more. nor offense or anything, i just cannot do with so little space.

And about mp3s. good in mp3s, 1TB is 1000000mb, with around 10mb for 4 minutes track. around 6500 hours of mp3s playback in 1tb.

as the player is going for hi res music playback, 1tb actually means 100mb for 4 minutes playback. around 650 hours of hi res playback. at average. this is by far not a lot of hi res playback. translated to days of music, it goes at around 27 days of continous music playback.

i also must say that i have a collection, of around 250 bands, with around 1800 albums. with some albums present, some not. this amounts to 6weeks of music playtime in foobar. this translates to 42 days of hi res. so 1tb would be around half of my collection, if i were to have only hi res playback. happy i also have mp3 and flacs in my collection. so my entire collection and future updates would fit into 1tb. 

don't jump on me from any camp, i just posted my thoughts. it is not about having or not the entire collection, but at this price, i pretty much would preffer the entire collection more than any streaming service. i cannot use streaming services for very obscure black metal, post hardcore, EDM music. i particulary enjoy some bands that are very very far from being alavaible on any streaming services. I totally understand that bands that are on streaming services resolve the need of storage for some people, but i mainly listen in flac and i cannot fiind what i love there. my actual collection has 500gb, and i don't have any hi res in there. only flac and mp3. 

I also understand that fiio might not be able to implement this, and i totally understand it. i am happy with the dive, even if it only sounds better, but it might mean so much more if it would be able to have more storage.

i am only able to fiind 128gb cards for 200$. 2 of them cost more than american price of x5$ [i paid 450$ for mine, my countrys VAT and taxes suck]

i also understand that 512gb microsd cards will be alavaible after a while, but screw, it is a long wait. and they will cost more than i can imagine.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,693 of 18,020
Some of you guys should have grown up in the 80’s when we were happy as can be to have a cassette Walkman with schiitty headphones and access to maybe 20 songs per tape. Had a pocket full of cassettes if I wanted more options. LOL! Those were the days.

I'm just glad to have serious audio quality and 256gb capacity with my X5. If the X7 can offer equal or more I'd be grateful. Also agree with Mython on the more storage for high res music, but at the same time have some perspective on how fortunate we are nowadays to have the amount of music accessible on the go. Pushing the limits is what is always going to happen and would be a good thing, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,695 of 18,020
Some of you guys should have grown up in the 80’s when we were happy as can be to have a cassette Walkman with schiitty headphones and access to maybe 20 songs per tape.

I did.  
tongue.gif
      (and I still have two  D-777 discmans which rarely get used but still sound great)

^^Good for you. Swapping cassettes and CDs was cool. However it is 2014, and progression is the way of the future.

Absolutely.

I'm glad it won't be long before someone gets serious about storage capacity in DAPs (even if it turns out not to be Fiio).

I strongly expect one of the DAP manufacturers to permit some means of achieving 1tb before 2015 is over.

Happy days, and not a cassette in sight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back