FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,276 of 1,895
  bowei do you think these anomalies could be due to differences between our tagging? I really wonder about that as I've had several issues with DAPs in the past due to my tags having a bunch of junk in them as well as incompatibility issues with certain tag versions. This goes for my iphone4, Sansa Fuze, etc. Once I fixed my tags and setup a system to properly tag my music, I have had minimal issues with my DAPs. Never did have the X5 stutter on me or freeze. I didn't try high res music on it though so not sure if that is a possible reason or not. I did have issues with the DX100 stuttering at times with high res music.

Tagging, encoding type and encode format, and any other special 'stuff' could and will have a difference yes. 

Apple uses iTunes to clean stuff up and make it easy for their players to play music. (is what FiiO and James has said in the past after doing their HW, I don't doubt them.)

Most audiophile DAP's are pretty raw in how they play songs in the sense that there isn't any 'treatment' that iTunes will do. A corrupted file, or file with weird tags could have issues in playback yes.

ALSO NOTE that there are many different 'types' of a file format. There are Nero and iTunes versions of AAC encoding etc and more and LAME MP3 and regular MP3 encoder. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,277 of 1,895
  Biggest pet peeve, and I'm really beginning to hate it.

When scrolling the wheel clockwise, the on screen option "wheel" scrolls counterclockwise and vice versa.  

My crappy illustration:

Needs to look more like a toaster. That looks like an iPod Mini/Video or Nano.

Don't want IP lawyers jumping down :wink:

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,278 of 1,895
  bowei do you think these anomalies could be due to differences between our tagging? I really wonder about that as I've had several issues with DAPs in the past due to my tags having a bunch of junk in them as well as incompatibility issues with certain tag versions. This goes for my iphone4, Sansa Fuze, etc. Once I fixed my tags and setup a system to properly tag my music, I have had minimal issues with my DAPs. Never did have the X5 stutter on me or freeze. I didn't try high res music on it though so not sure if that is a possible reason or not. I did have issues with the DX100 stuttering at times with high res music.

This.

I earlier followed Lee's advice on tagging for my Studio V3, and was using the same cards for the X5.  No issues with stuttering or freezing.  I did try 24/96 files on the X5 - and again no issues (admittedly only over 5-6 days use).

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,279 of 1,895
  Biggest pet peeve, and I'm really beginning to hate it.

When scrolling the wheel clockwise, the on screen option "wheel" scrolls counterclockwise and vice versa.  

Agree & thanks for pointing it out.

I didn't highlight it because I haven't used anything with a wheel before - but it did take some getting used to.  Reversing the direction would make it easier.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,280 of 1,895

I didn't highlight it because I haven't used anything with a wheel before - but it did take some getting used to.  Reversing the direction would make it easier.

I'm fine with the direction it's in now

I guess it's like Apple's own natural and regular scrolling.

Right now, the X5 is similar to a standard scrolling.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,281 of 1,895

Corrected more realistic version:

scroll the actual scroll wheel clockwise, the LCD onscreen wheel scrolls clockwise BUT the options move counterclockwise!

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,282 of 1,895
  I'm fine with the direction it's in now

I guess it's like Apple's own natural and regular scrolling.

Right now, the X5 is similar to a standard scrolling.

that would be fine if it was just a list of options like in a menu,

but its not, its circular and actually shows scrolling.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,283 of 1,895

I guess it would be best to make this an option. When I tried an early factory prototype back in December it rotated in the other direction. Having never used an iPod it was very counterintuitive for me. I could see the analogy to things rotating on a turntable along with my thumb movements, but in all other menus, (where the selection moves instead of the whole menu moving) rotating the wheel clockwise brings you down an item and anticlockwise, up--and I don't see anyone taking issue with that. Just seems to me that the action in the main menu should be consistent with that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,284 of 1,895

lol yeah that was a bit awkward for me also but I got use it it pretty quickly.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,285 of 1,895
Alas, I can exactly replicate what went wrong this morning with the reset pin.

What exactly does the mute relay thing do when you put a headphone in/out of the X5?

When I pulled out my umbrella this morning, my hands weren't in contact with the X5 (in silicone case) or the CX-300's cable in my pocket while I was walking.

Indoors, I can do the exact same thing and the same "kill switch/stop functioning" thing happens. X5 in my jacket pocket, CX-300 in my ears, hands outward away from anything. Upon walking, the rubber cable made staticky sounds, as with any headphone cable rubbing on fabric, and the X5 made the same popping sound. I think I'll keep this staple from work handy in case it happens again.

If this is what the mute relay thing is supposed to do, then that's probably a good thing to protect the headphones/X5. I have no such incidences (the "kill switch" effect) with my usual portable rigs.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,286 of 1,895
I guess it would be best to make this an option. When I tried an early factory prototype back in December it rotated in the other direction. Having never used an iPod it was very counterintuitive for me. I could see the analogy to things rotating on a turntable along with my thumb movements, but in all other menus, (where the selection moves instead of the whole menu moving) rotating the wheel clockwise brings you down an item and anticlockwise, up--and I don't see anyone taking issue with that. Just seems to me that the action in the main menu should be consistent with that.

Agreed an option would be great then you can decide in what direction the icons will move. I understand what you are saying though, with the menu once you reach the bottom, the items are scrolling up. If the icons would be displayed like a menu instead of having the middle selection section as being stationary, then it would feel similar to the menu action and would be more intuitive, at least for me. It is because of this fixed selection section where the main icon selected is being displayed and everything else moving around it that it sounded confusing. I think the moving wheel image on the left of the icons most likely reinforced this so called wheel motion.

The bottom line is I got confused in the icons showing up in the scroll window as I was moving the wheel. I expected the icons to move in a circular fashion following the wheel motion.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,287 of 1,895

Agreed an option would be great then you can decide in what direction the icons will move. I understand what you are saying though, with the menu once you reach the bottom, the items are scrolling up. If the icons would be displayed like a menu instead of having the middle selection section as being stationary, then it would feel similar to the menu action and would be more intuitive, at least for me. It is because of this fixed selection section where the main icon selected is being displayed and everything else moving around it that it sounded confusing. I think the moving wheel image on the left of the icons most likely reinforced this so called wheel motion.

The bottom line is I got confused in the icons showing up in the scroll window as I was moving the wheel. I expected the icons to move in a circular fashion following the wheel motion.

+1!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,288 of 1,895

i wouldn't have a problem with it, but the turntable scrolls the same direction you scroll it as, but then the option moves in the opposite direction.  It's just sort of a mind trick when you see the on screen lcd scroll one way but then the options move in the opposite way.  

And if you think about the ipod:
clockwise: down
counterclockwise: up

but its the highlighted portion that moves up and down

With the x5, the "highlighted" selection is stationary.
So when you see the background turntable move a certain direction e.g. clockwise...you would expect the options to move clockwise also.

hope that makes sense

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,290 of 1,895
I've got vinyl rips that also have a dark background but aren't from HD tracks. Depends on the equipment used to attain the rips as well as the quality of the record itself.

And relate to the condition of the Vinyl as well. Tgats exactly my point. Vinyl rip nouse fliir has variable, so it is nit an effective tool for that purpose.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back