FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #482 of 1,895
Does the balance function work well?

More or less... lol.
Right now going full right or full left does NOT mute the channel completely...

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #485 of 1,895

Then the X5 is not for you (at this point in its evolution). I find the gap to be acceptable (for an audiophile DAP; I still don't understand why Apple and Rockbox alone get this right ) but it's definitely there.

Haha, don't laugh at me but I found an old Sansa E280 Player in one of my drawers recently... Rockbox is running, 64GB Micro SD running, FLAC is running...gapless.
I can wait until the X5 is ready for me, currently I have lots of fun with my unexpected find :wink:

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #486 of 1,895
My reaction after reading all the impressions: OMG Shut up and take my money!
devil_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #487 of 1,895
Update on battery life.

Fully charged the unit - then set on random playing the entire library last night (screen off). All of the tracks are FLAC 16/44. Headphones were plugged in (HD600 - moderate to low volume).

Total time before it quit was just a shade under 11.5 hours. YMMV - but that was an actual test.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #488 of 1,895
Update on battery life.

Fully charged the unit - then set on random playing the entire library last night (screen off). All of the tracks are FLAC 16/44. Headphones were plugged in (HD600 - moderate to low volume).

Total time before it quit was just a shade under 11.5 hours. YMMV - but that was an actual test.

I knew I was forgetting something! LOL.
Mine lasted 10.5 but be aware that I did use it to play some specific folders, etc. (i.e. Used the screen a bit more I guess).

So yeah, I guess 10 to 12 hours is a good estimate using shuffle play through all songs, 16/44 FLACs/Mp3s, headphones plugged in (Beyer T5p's) with volume at 70-ish.
Ok I guess but the X3 and MK2 give me 16+ hours... Hmmmm...

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #489 of 1,895
With current technology there is always going to be a balance between power output (needed for higher impedance cans - see complaints of output in the Sony ZX-1 forum which has great battery life),  battery life,  and size/weight.

If this is a DAP that is all in one in that it does not need an amp for full sonic extension with mid and low impedance headphones,  11 hrs is awesome.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #490 of 1,895
For those of you who listen to classical and other albums where tracks run into each other why don't you just rip the album as a single track. Then you have absolutely perfect gap less play on any DAP. I do it with all my live concert and mixed EDM albums and it also stops track order being messed up. It's a very simple solution that always works. 

The little snippets coming through on X5 sound quality are very promising.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #491 of 1,895
  For those of you who listen to classical and other albums where tracks run into each other why don't you just rip the album as a single track. Then you have absolutely perfect gap less play on any DAP. I do it with all my live concert and mixed EDM albums and it also stops track order being messed up. It's a very simple solution that always works. 

The little snippets coming through on X5 sound quality are very promising.

because sometimes i want to just start at a specific song

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #492 of 1,895
If iBasso can fix gap issues with a firmware update on their DX50, I'm sure James and Co. can too on the X5. I wouldn't worry overly about it.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Really gapless is about the same on the DX50 and X5. I think that the DX50 is just a bit better (1.2.7). Neither is consistently perfect no gap.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #493 of 1,895

Really gapless is about the same on the DX50 and X5. I think that the DX50 is just a bit better (1.2.7). Neither is consistently perfect no gap.

Well, I listen for any breaks in play on the DX50 (1.2.7) and if it's there, it's so incredibly small that my old ears seem to miss it.  So far it's the best implementation I have seen on a Chinese-made DAP (I've had three to include Little Dot and iHiFi).
If the X5 can get that close, then it is good enough for me.

Of course the above is IMHO and YMMV...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #495 of 1,895
  Well, I listen for any breaks in play on the DX50 (1.2.7) and if it's there, it's so incredibly small that my old ears seem to miss it.  So far it's the best implementation I have seen on a Chinese-made DAP (I've had three to include Little Dot and iHiFi).
If the X5 can get that close, then it is good enough for me.

Of course the above is IMHO and YMMV...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Okay so 1.2.7 probably does have an edge on the X5 (with its first firmware release). I have been spending most of my time on 1.2.5 because of the codecs issues (as I perceive them). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back