FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #511 of 1,895
there are 2 option of lock screen...1st is when screen off..all button x5 is disabled...

2nd option allow you to have volume...play/pause and rev/fwd button enabled even when the screen is off. yes..this option is really useful in my opinion :D

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #512 of 1,895
  SQ wise does the X5 come close to the stock 120?

Hmm it's hard to say for sure. Synergy could also play a roll in it. I'd say it isn't a night and day difference, with the AK120 still having the edge overll (but not really justifying the price premium). But 1Plus2 definitely would show the difference between these two players. I think the X5 is the more versatile player overall and has more power. But where the AK120s true power lies is in the S-Mod. At that stage they are not even comparable and it's not fair. That is the only reason I still have the AK120 at this point because it brought my portable audio to the level of high quality desktop rigs for IEMs. Of course with better amps it should have no issue powering power hungry cans with great effect. The sound quality I got from DSD and high res files also kept me hanging on to the AK120. That really took the sonics to another level also.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #513 of 1,895

Hmm it's hard to say for sure. Synergy could also play a roll in it. I'd say it isn't a night and day difference, with the AK120 still having the edge overll (but not really justifying the price premium). But 1Plus2 definitely would show the difference between these two players. I think the X5 is the more versatile player overall and has more power. But where the AK120s true power lies is in the S-Mod. At that stage they are not even comparable and it's not fair. That is the only reason I still have the AK120 at this point because it brought my portable audio to the level of high quality desktop rigs for IEMs. Of course with better amps it should have no issue powering power hungry cans with great effect. The sound quality I got from DSD and high res files also kept me hanging on to the AK120. That really took the sonics to another level also.

Sorry but what is "S-Mod"?

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #514 of 1,895
Think it's the mod that makes the AK120 a pure DAC by replacing the DAC chips with the WM8741. I could be wrong though. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #515 of 1,895
Lins got it. It's a new level of audio quality where portable Audio is concerned IMO. It hangs up there with $1,500+ home dacs. I still don't have an amp to use 100% of its potential....

But we digress :p. The X5 is superb for what it is. As Paris Hilton said in south park "I want it, I want, it I want it!" lol :wink:.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #517 of 1,895
  Lins got it. It's a new level of audio quality where portable Audio is concerned IMO. It hangs up there with $1,500+ home dacs. I still don't have an amp to use 100% of its potential....

But we digress :p. The X5 is superb for what it is. As Paris Hilton said in south park "I want it, I want, it I want it!" lol :wink:.

bigsmile_face.gif
 lol

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #518 of 1,895

I have to agree the unit has a slight warmth to it but is still quite neutral IMO. It is just right to me :). How do you like it vs the Studio V 3rd ANV?

Hi Lee

So far I've been mostly just testing it with different file types, headphones etc.  Also testing the functionality of the line-out, the DAC, the digital out etc.  I did the battery life tests today as well.

Tomorrow and Sunday I get busy with actual comparisons side-by-side against the Studio, my iPhone, and also my desktop.  To call me impressed so far would be the understatement of the year. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #519 of 1,895
How long is the battery life for you? I haven't extensively tested it but I've used it for days (not necessarily long hours mind you) but the battery life barely drained during the course of 3 or 4 days of usage. That is very impressive considering how pedantic I am with changing tracks. Usually I drain batteries very fast by doing this. Then again I've been really enjoying the music from this unit that I don't switch music as often. The micro detailing is thus far the most appealing aspect of this player from a sound-quality POV. It opens a new window into the music for me and makes things very apparent. It's effortless, natural and smooth. Even listening to the X5 in my car was astonishing at how detailed things were. Hotel California, the placement of instruments and staging on my car stereo were excellent. Made my stereo sound a lot more expensive than it is :p.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #520 of 1,895
  How long is the battery life for you? I haven't extensively tested it but I've used it for days (not necessarily long hours mind you) but the battery life barely drained during the course of 3 or 4 days of usage. That is very impressive considering how pedantic I am with changing tracks. Usually I drain batteries very fast by doing this. Then again I've been really enjoying the music from this unit that I don't switch music as often. The micro detailing is thus far the most appealing aspect of this player from a sound-quality POV. It opens a new window into the music for me and makes things very apparent. It's effortless, natural and smooth. Even listening to the X5 in my car was astonishing at how detailed things were. Hotel California, the placement of instruments and staging on my car stereo were excellent. Made my stereo sound a lot more expensive than it is :p.

I have been listening constantly since getting the X5 yesterday at noon and it finally gave me the low power warning. I am charging it now.

Realistically, it might have gotten ten hours. That is used almost entirely as a DAP. If there is no load on the amp and just using the low power line out, one might get more.

The battery is new so we will see if some conditioning also improves things. I think that it is okay for anything but trans-Pacific flights (where these days you often get a power jack anyway).

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #521 of 1,895

I have been listening constantly since getting the X5 yesterday at noon and it finally gave me the low power warning. I am charging it now.

Realistically, it might have gotten ten hours. That is used almost entirely as a DAP. If there is no load on the amp and just using the low power line out, one might get more.

The battery is new so we will see if some conditioning also improves things. I think that it is okay for anything but trans-Pacific flights (where these days you often get a power jack anyway).

10 hours is pretty good IMO for the size and power output of the player. Joe did mention the battery life improving slightly when they lower the idle power from 9mAH to 4 mAH. I was concerned about this impacting the sound in any way and he said it would not alter the power being used while the player is being used so there should be no change in sound. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #522 of 1,895

I actually gave it the old "start from full charged and see how long it goes" test last night.

Started it at approx 10.30 pm last night.  All flac files on random into an HD600 at low to moderate volume.  It quit at just before 10am this morning - so approx 11.5 hours. That's pretty good.  Nowhere near the Studio - but OK for a long haul flight.

BTW - charge from a wall-wart (from empty to full) was pretty much 4 hours.

Idea for Fiio for an add on sale.  A perfectly size matched add on battery recharging unit (rechargeable).  So that way if you are running low - just throw the battery pack in place and recharge the X5.  Food for thought anyway.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #524 of 1,895

I just don't get the DSD love in this instance. It's converting to PCM on the fly before decoding. Yes, even with the s mod DSD capable DAC chip. FW and stream paths haven't changed. It can't be better than PCM in this config, just a 'sound' that you happen to like, which is of course is also fine.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #525 of 1,895
  I just don't get the DSD love in this instance. It's converting to PCM on the fly before decoding. Yes, even with the s mod DSD capable DAC chip. FW and stream paths haven't changed. It can't be better than PCM in this config, just a 'sound' that you happen to like, which is of course is also fine.

Oh my, Lee will not pleased. 
tongue_smile.gif
 You're talking about his sacred one with un-fond words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back