FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Mar 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,561 of 1,895
Hola!

Thought I'd pop in for a few words:)

What are the X5 demo'er's take on amping the unit? Is it something that is beneficial for the unit? Or is it something that can be done without? 
Theoretically speaking, I'm not speaking in terms of portability, but rather just solely sound quality. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,562 of 1,895
  Hola!

Thought I'd pop in for a few words:)

What are the X5 demo'er's take on amping the unit? Is it something that is beneficial for the unit? Or is it something that can be done without? 
Theoretically speaking, I'm not speaking in terms of portability, but rather just solely sound quality. 

Depends on what headphones/IEMs you are using the X5 with; I am using a Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro with it and am happy without amping the X5 when out and about. But when at home/dorms, I amped the X5 with a small table 12AU7 tube amp and also quite happy with its performance.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,563 of 1,895
Depends on what headphones/IEMs you are using the X5 with; I am using a Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro with it and am happy without amping the X5 when out and about. But when at home/dorms, I amped the X5 with a small table 12AU7 tube amp and also quite happy with its performance.

So putting aside portability, which sound quality do you prefer? Amped or unamped?

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,565 of 1,895
Amped as I can feel the tube sound well which is what I want in my desk setup, but that said, unamped feels great too! :D

Awesome:) much appreciate your input!

Anyone else? With portable amps perhaps?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,566 of 1,895
There are cases where an amp is needed, for example when the player amp section is not stellar however the X5 has proven to be a champion in that category so making the need of an amp redundant except of course if you use hard to drive headphones.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,567 of 1,895
There are cases where an amp is needed, for example when the player amp section is not stellar however the X5 has proven to be a champion in that category so making the need of an amp redundant except of course if you use hard to drive headphones.

I see:) that's what I've seem to be reading frequently here; that an amp is not necessary with a DAP such as this.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,569 of 1,895
Could I have a show of hands of who in the US is holding a tour X5 (and tell me how many days you have had it)?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,570 of 1,895
*completes some comparison tests between UD100, Fiio Taishan and Fiio X5*

Dayum, now I am also starting to buy into that "micro-details" theory 
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,573 of 1,895

I see:) that's what I've seem to be reading frequently here; that an amp is not necessary with a DAP such as this.

I greatly preferred an external amp to the X5's internal one. >.>

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,575 of 1,895
@miceblue Did you find the difference to be more improved? Maybe the uplifting of the warmth that some have stated?

To me yes. You bypass the X5's internal amp with the line-out connection, and all of my amps sound more transparent to me, including the E12 despite my problems with it (at least it removed the fatiguing quality of the X5's amp in exchange for a brighter but not-as-fatiguing sound signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back