FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,547 of 1,895
Happened to me once and only once right towards the end of a track. It just shut down. Considering the unit was so very stable (I mean very stable next my DX50 experience) I didn't bring it up in my review.

Got it a few times so bad I could not revive the player other than pressing the reset button. The worst is that it's random so could not repeat it.

Thanks guys, I will go upgrade to new firmware and see if this will still occur.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,548 of 1,895
I agree, X5 is a little on the large size and possibly suited as you said for room environments. Considering some of the rigs we see in the pictures thread many will probably handle the unit on the go still. I owned a J3 they're a stylish looking unit rather smooth and forgiving of a recording. I'm still deciding on X5, I really want one for my ER4S, though It would probably be solely for them alone as my other higher end hybrids have been matched with sources already. Tough audio decisions, how do we cope. :p

How does the X5 pair with the DN-1000s? Do you prefer a different DAP pairing with the Dunus over the X5?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,549 of 1,895
How does the X5 pair with the DN-1000s? Do you prefer a different DAP pairing with the Dunus over the X5?

It pairs very well, they scale up quite a lot with X5, especially the soundstage and overall detail levels. I still use them with Colorfly C3 but it's not the same. The X5 has it beaten.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,550 of 1,895
Alright, another quick question: What format does the album art should be in? I can see some album art but they are being cut off at the bottom for some reason...

PS: And yes, I think FW1.10's lockscreen behaviour is no good, especially on Lockscreen Mode 2.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,551 of 1,895
Quick note: I tried to use a school computer that does not have any X5 driver to just charge my X5 and have the X5 play music (i.e. don't use DAC or USB storage) but kept having strange operation (e.g. music stop playing after some songs => hang even after unplugging the USB cable). There is no issue in using a portable charger though.

I know this is not exactly the recommended way of using the X5 according to the Quick Guide but I think there should be a third USB mode to allow charging from a computer (and thus most probably prevent such issues)

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,553 of 1,895
Quick note: I tried to use a school computer that does not have any X5 driver to just charge my X5 and have the X5 play music (i.e. don't use DAC or USB storage) but kept having strange operation (e.g. music stop playing after some songs => hang even after unplugging the USB cable). There is no issue in using a portable charger though.

I know this is not exactly the recommended way of using the X5 according to the Quick Guide but I think there should be a third USB mode to allow charging from a computer (and thus most probably prevent such issues)

Hang as in the screen still gets displayed after disconnecting? I had that problem too.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,555 of 1,895
Hang as in the screen still gets displayed after disconnecting? I had that problem too.

I think so, sequence of events: play music > connect to computer for charging > music stops after a while > disconnect to try to fix it > X5 completely unresponsive > hold down power button for very long > X5 shuts down > hold down power button > X5 back to normal

Just twice over two plus months of extensive use. That's quite stable for my purposes.

Once per month... That's a little high to me though given most DAPs in the market don't have such issues to begin with (I think)

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,556 of 1,895
I think the term "stable" is being used too loosely for a DAP that costs $400. That's a lot of scratch for the -average- person to throw down for a music player. The number of crashes should be at 0. Why can't companies simply test more before release? I realize Fiio is a relatively small-to-medium fish in a big pond, but c'mon....

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,557 of 1,895

I think so, sequence of events: play music > connect to computer for charging > music stops after a while > disconnect to try to fix it > X5 completely unresponsive > hold down power button for very long > X5 shuts down > hold down power button > X5 back to normal

Once per month... That's a little high to me though given most DAPs in the market don't have such issues to begin with (I think)

It's not perfect but my iPhone 3GS used to crash. My iPad Mini has crashed. My Nokia 920 has crashed. My Thinkpad X301 running Windows 7 has crashed. My Rockboxed Classic has crashed. My DX50 has crashed. I am not sure that I have owned many pieces of electronics that did not. If it is a regular problem then it becomes annoying. That has not been the case yet with the X5.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,558 of 1,895
  I think the term "stable" is being used too loosely for a DAP that costs $400. That's a lot of scratch for the -average- person to throw down for a music player. The number of crashes should be at 0. Why can't companies simply test more before release? I realize Fiio is a relatively small-to-medium fish in a big pond, but c'mon....

I guess the higher price point must have affected my judgement? :X

It's not perfect but my iPhone 3GS used to crash. My iPad Mini has crashed. My Nokia 920 has crashed. My Thinkpad X301 running Windows 7 has crashed. My Rockboxed Classic has crashed. My DX50 has crashed. I am not sure that I have owned many pieces of electronics that did not. If it is a regular problem then it becomes annoying. That has not been the case yet with the X5.

Hmmm... Good point there, come to think of it, my Clip Zip is getting crankier than the X5 (maybe wear and tear issue?).

Now, I would love to have my X5 crash more often... so that I can pinpoint the exact cause of such crashes and stop them once and for all. :wink:

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,559 of 1,895

You obviously never owned a DX50 on release. :wink: Part of what you're seeing is FiiO X5 in late beta stages, a very 'stable' beta stage for most parts. Without us and the small majority in China testing X5 before main release there would be a lot more problems. Basically you're here on the forums you're inside the deep workings of X5 becoming that device you're asking. But without us reporting the problems and FiiO knowing these issues it would take a lot longer. So of course you're going to see us reporting bugs, minor bugs at that. Having held X5 in my hand for 10 days it was rather a pleasure to use compared to some others that have issues and considered abandoned on firmware updates all together now.

Patience goes a long way. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,560 of 1,895

You obviously never owned a DX50 on release. :wink: Part of what you're seeing is FiiO X5 in late beta stages, a very 'stable' beta stage for most parts. Without us and the small majority in China testing X5 before main release there would be a lot more problems. Basically you're here on the forums you're inside the deep workings of X5 becoming that device you're asking. But without us reporting the problems and FiiO knowing these issues it would take a lot longer. So of course you're going to see us reporting bugs, minor bugs at that. Having held X5 in my hand for 10 days it was rather a pleasure to use compared to some others that have issues and considered abandoned on firmware updates all together now.

Patience goes a long way. 

+1 This is why I am taking this X5 review seriously; as a Computing student, I will like to use whatever skills I have learnt so far and apply it here to make a better product.

Besides, I am strongly considering it as an upgrade for my portable and desktop setup, so you can say that I am also making a small non-monetary investment here :p

To prove my point, does anyone have the link to FW1.00? I am still unable to find it here and will like to have it to do some tests to prove something... weird about FW1.10. Found it on Fiio website (http://www.fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/download/X5FW1.00.zip) :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back