FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #5,912 of 7,088
Hey all,

I got an X5 a few weeks ago and am running two 200GB cards in it. Unfortunately (heresy warning), I purchased it largely to accommodate my rather outsize collection of (overwhelmingly) mp3s, which it does wonderfully, except that, above 30K files or so, updating the file library starts hanging, and the "All Files" menu craps out, which means that I lose the ability to shuffle the whole collection. I'm still able to listen to individual albums, because I maintained the folder structure of my files, but I'd like to be able to shuffle as well.  That ability was, honestly, one of the X5's biggest selling point for me.

I know that I'm squandering the X5's sound quality -- though let me tell you, when I do play a FLAC, this thing is glorious -- but could anyone give me a pointer as to how to shuffle the whole library other than just reducing the number of files?

Many thanks in advance!

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #5,914 of 7,088
  Hey all,

I got an X5 a few weeks ago and am running two 200GB cards in it. Unfortunately (heresy warning), I purchased it largely to accommodate my rather outsize collection of (overwhelmingly) mp3s, which it does wonderfully, except that, above 30K files or so, updating the file library starts hanging, and the "All Files" menu craps out, which means that I lose the ability to shuffle the whole collection. I'm still able to listen to individual albums, because I maintained the folder structure of my files, but I'd like to be able to shuffle as well.  That ability was, honestly, one of the X5's biggest selling point for me.

I know that I'm squandering the X5's sound quality -- though let me tell you, when I do play a FLAC, this thing is glorious -- but could anyone give me a pointer as to how to shuffle the whole library other than just reducing the number of files?

Many thanks in advance!

You could always create a playlist of all your tracks then shuffle that

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,915 of 7,088
  Hey all,

Many thanks in advance!

What fw are you running?  What brand cards?  How were the cards formatted?

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,917 of 7,088
Hi I have a quewtion as well ,purchased few days ago x5 2nd gen .My peobpem is it pauses itself after 1 minute whenever its flac or mp3,is something wrong with my fiio?

Try updating the fw.  Also, what brand card are you using?  Did you format it in the player?  Most playback issues span from an improperly formatted card or cards.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5,918 of 7,088
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not sure it's gotten me anywhere.

For the record, I'm running the most up-to-date firmware available on the website, and I tried formatted the (brand new SanDisk) cards both in the player and on my laptop (the latter using FAT32). The latter actually seems to make them a little more stable, oddly enough, though maybe I'll try reformatting on the X5 again. The files are already arranged in a tree by letter of the alphabet, then artist, then album, so the browse function works just fine, just not shuffle. Creating a playlist won't work because the playlists stop functioning at the same point that the "All Files" list stops.

Thanks again -- and if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be thrilled to hear them!

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,919 of 7,088
  Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not sure it's gotten me anywhere.

For the record, I'm running the most up-to-date firmware available on the website, and I tried formatted the (brand new SanDisk) cards both in the player and on my laptop (the latter using FAT32). The latter actually seems to make them a little more stable, oddly enough, though maybe I'll try reformatting on the X5 again. The files are already arranged in a tree by letter of the alphabet, then artist, then album, so the browse function works just fine, just not shuffle. Creating a playlist won't work because the playlists stop functioning at the same point that the "All Files" list stops.

Thanks again -- and if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be thrilled to hear them!

Format them in the player.  I'm running the same cards in mine without issue.  Just updated the library for fun this past Sunday.  I browse by folder so I rarely ever update the library, but it updated just fine.  It acts like it is freezing at the managing/handling data screen, but it just took a few minutes because I have just as many files as you.  My advice would be to reflash the fw. reformat the cards in the player, and try again.  If that doesn't do it, then contact FiiO support.

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #5,921 of 7,088
Hey all,

Many thanks in advance!

Hi, TyroneSlothrop
Did the X5 hang when updating the media library in the same number of the song or different one?
It is recommend to format the TF card to FAT32 for better compatibility.
And you can reset media library with no TF card in X5 first. And then update media library again to see whether it helps.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 28, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #5,922 of 7,088
Hi I have a quewtion as well ,purchased few days ago x5 2nd gen .My peobpem is it pauses itself after 1 minute whenever its flac or mp3,is something wrong with my fiio?

Hi, Wojtek2626
1. Could you tell us what TF card you are using for the X5? It is recommended to format to FAT32 for better compatibility.
2. Whether the headphone you use for the M3 have in-line remote controls fuction? If yes, could you please try another headphones to see whether the problem remains?

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #5,923 of 7,088

Hi, Wojtek2626
1. Could you tell us what TF card you are using for the X5? It is recommended to format to FAT32 for better compatibility.
2. Whether the headphone you use for the M3 have in-line remote controls fuction? If yes, could you please try another headphones to see whether the problem remains?

SANDISK - Extreme Plus Class 10 microSD Memory Card - 64 GB
Happened on alpha dogs and on headphones from lg g4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back