FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 24, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5,896 of 7,088
I'm not sure about the MKII but the two K240's I have I wouldn't consider "bright"
In fact they're one of the most neutral headphones on the market which is why many musicians will mix with them and they're sold in musical equipment stores.

But why do you need an amp?
Do you like the bass boost?
Can you not get a satisfactory volume without one?
Are you sure your AKG's are 55 Ohm? (the 240's come in both high and low impedance's)

I use the X5ii alone with a 300 Ohm can and I still don't need to turn it all the way up.
And I like music loud.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #5,897 of 7,088
Yes, the AKG K240 MKll have a spike at 10 kHz. And the X1 struggles to drive them. And the sub bass region seems to be a bit distorted(not sure if it's the right word to describe what I feel, I apologise for that).
I'm looking for a player that will fare better with The AKG I have. And a Fiio Amp that might help me improve more over the sound I get for now.
Please suggest.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #5,898 of 7,088
Hello,

I've been using a Fiio X1 with Fiio E11k amplifier. I have a pair of AKG K240 MKll Headphones with 55ohms impedance. They are a bright pair of headphones with incredible treble detail. But a bit too harsh at times. I'm looking for a new DAP which would pair well.
I read in a review that Fiio X3 2nd gen would suit a bright pair of headphones more. What would your opinions be about it? Please help me select a new DAP and Fiio Amp that would help. Would Fiio E12a or the new A5 or E17k be more suited for my needs?

Thank you.

Amp really isn't necessary even with the X1, X3II, or X5II for your headphones, but I understand why folks use them (I used to use them).  Because I saw you post this elsewhere, I'll add a little more info.  The X1 is a little brighter sounding by itself than the X3II or X5II.  Like I said in my other response, if your cans are that bright to you with your current setup, I don't think the X3II or X5II will make much of a difference even when you add an amp.  You may want to find darker sounding cans unless you just want a new DAP.  You might also research other DAPs besides FiiO because they are all tunes a little differently and might work better with your can ass well.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5,900 of 7,088
http://www.head-fi.org/products/

Just see what's popular and read the reviews.

OK...
AS you see in the above picture the 650's have the 10K spike.
It's the frequency that gives a music "air" and "openness"
The 650's are definitely not "bright" in fact some say they're too "dark" or "veiled"
I'm pretty sure all HP's have this spike or else they'd be so flat as not be "musical"
They'd just be dull.

My 600's are difficult to push with most DAP's which is why I bought the X5ii.
They push them to my satisfaction and if an external amp would improve things I'd buy one.
It wouldn't...it would only add more coloration.
I know nothing about the X1's power and sound signature but if the X5ii can push my 300 Ohm can it can certainly push your 55 Ohm's

If I remember correctly you said some music is too bright.
Are you aware that the better the equipment the more annoying a recording of nails on a chalkboard would be?
Fortunately the X5ii has an EQ for such recordings.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,901 of 7,088
Taking into account my current gear, what change will bring about a progress in over-all sound quality? Should I let my DAP be X1 and then go for a better headphone/IEM(which would guarantee more SQ improvement?) or should I get Fiio X3 2nd gen and a decent pair of IEMs for noticeable detail in sound?

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #5,902 of 7,088
Taking into account my current gear, what change will bring about a progress in over-all sound quality? Should I let my DAP be X1 and then go for a better headphone/IEM(which would guarantee more SQ improvement?) or should I get Fiio X3 2nd gen and a decent pair of IEMs for noticeable detail in sound?

Changing the HP/IEM will make the biggest change for better or worse.
They will color the sound more than any other piece of equipment. (providing the rest is decent with a low THD)

After that it would be the DAC (digital audio convertor) since we're talking digital music.
If someone is saying the X3 is "warmer" it's most likely has a "warmer" DAC
But beware...someone's "warm" can be another person's "veiled"
The HD650's are loved my many here but I found them too warm (veiled).
I sold them and bought the HD600's

You haven't mentioned what kind of money you're willing to spend.

If I were you go to any store (if you can) and audition the AKG K series and the Sennheiser HD Series.
There's a reason why these are popular and legendary among Headfiers.
Just be sure the HD's get the appropriate power to fully shine.
If you don't have a store close by choose an online store that can help you with your needs and let you exchange if you're not happy.
Make sure they have a wide selection.

I hope this helps.

I know nothing about IEM's so maybe someone else will chime in

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #5,904 of 7,088
My total budget for a new DAP and Headphones would be around 350$. So I was thinking a Fiio X3 2nd gen and then a decent pair of Headphones.
Would that be possible?

That's not much.
I would Google X1 vs X3 (ii) to see if there's a big difference in upgrading.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739777/fiio-x3-vs-x1

You're K240's are good HP's but not really exciting. imo
I would take your X1 and 240's to a store and see if a new player or HP will improve things.
My money is on the HP but I haven't heard the X1.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #5,906 of 7,088
Precisely Sir! They are really good. Not too much bass. Just precise. And an amplifier really makes a difference!
Unfortunately I don't have a store around where I can test these
frown.gif

The X3II is a fine little DAP and is really just a hair below the X5II in terms of sound quality.  Owning all three (X1, X3II, & X5II), the X5II get the most use followed by the X3II.  X1 sees very little use outside my car these days.  With an amp, you can add some color and tame some headphones, but if you plan to use your next setup up for can and IEMs, then go with the E12a.  It can handle just about anything and will help with channel imbalance you can experience with the the A5 and Q1, but the E17k is no slouch either.  I don't switch headphones or IEMs very often so I have very limited knowledge on what all is out there.  Start reading reviews here, Headphonics and Headphonia.  That's what I do and so far I've been happy with all of my choices except the Grado SR60e.  I found them to harsh for my liking.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5,907 of 7,088
I found the X3II significantly below the X5 in sound quality. Nice form factor and decent GUI, but sound quality has rolled off treble. Unfortunately the X3ii reminded me of the underpowered sandisk DAP. 

The X5 series is clearly superior. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #5,909 of 7,088
Would you say Fiio X5 2nd gen would expose inconsistent recordings more than Fiio X3 2nd gen? Or rather is it more analytical than Fiio X3 2nd gen?

Yes.
Why would anyone pay more for less?

Think of it this way in visual terms.
The better the equipment the cleaner the window.
This means more detail on a intricate flower... and a piece of crap. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back