FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #5,866 of 7,088
@koliniol - your point 7.  The X5ii has no internal memory.  I'm pretty sure (because of the size of the library some users were using) that FiiO had to start writing the library index to the external sdxc to get around this limitation. Before that, the number of tracks was capped - now that limit is removed because of the workaround.

And comparing to an iPod Classic isn't exactly fair.  Apple had had years to perfect their software.  And the storage and indexing is all internal and was based around a large library of mainly aac128 or aac256 tracks.  They knew how many tracks were potentially being used.  FiiO originally intended the X5ii to handle high-res files, and at the time this meant 256 Gb of memory and large files. They simply didn't see the potential for some users having 10's of thousands of files.

All I'm suggesting is that in their original plans, they would not have foreseen such a large library being used. I have no issues with people asking for improved features.  FiiO have shown a remarkable tendency to get things solved (albeit sometimes slowly).  Just don't expect an Apple like ecosystem in the next couple of years.  FiiO simply don't have the resource 

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,867 of 7,088

1. How do you know that FIIO fro a fact is not willing to improve anything. It is only 1year model.
2.My tags are as perfect as they should be. I've spend enormous amount of time on tagging. they even have reviews in comments .Re-organising my Hard Disk is not a solution. It will take time and effort not needed. My hard disk is as it should be. I'm using Media Monkey to browse my collection and have no issue at all.
3. "Scroll as fast as you can" :You're joking of course.
4. Compilations. I want to be able to search Rolling Stones and to find only Rolling Stones Albums and not "scattered compilation" (various artists) tracks performed by the rolling stones
5. Browse while connected to PC : It has been answered . Just press the back button it it works.
6. File trasfer is slow because of hardware used not because of USB 2.0 USB 2.0 can go up to 30 MB/s and file transfer through fiio is 5MB/s
7. Devise should not slow beacuse of the number of files and tags, It has its own  database for that . Have you never used an IPOD ? Even IPOD 3nd Gen (back from 2003) browses very fast.

1. FiiO released a final firmware for the X5II.  They've said on head-fi that unless there is a bug, no other changes will be made.  A bug was found in fw 2.0, so 2.1 was released. 
2. I never said your tags weren't "perfect."  I was merely making a suggestion, but since your tags are "perfect," then I don't know what your issue is.
3. The wheel will go as fast as you can turn it and I've never found the speed of the wheel to be an issue.  To reduce scrolling, I reorganized my folders on the micro cards.  This might be something you can try as well, but won't benefit you if you only use category mode.
4. Once again, I don't know how you listen to your music.  If you listen to albums, then I would strongly suggest folder navigation because you can organize your music however you want in a folder structure.  artist, then album, then tracks.  You can even add the year into the folder title if you like.
5. There you go.  I've never needed to listen while charging so I have no experience with it.  I only hook up to the computer to add/remove music, DAC, or charge the device.
6. If you knew the answer to this, then why did you ask?  FiiO actually increased file transfer speeds in one of the fw updates not to long ago, but it wasn't anything major.
7. I have no experience with anything Apple so I can't comment.  However, many users have reported that the more you put on the X5II, that it UI starts to lag a little.  Once again, I still don't find it that slow IMO.

Like I said, I didn't want my comments or suggestions to come off the wrong way, which after your response here, I think they did and that was not my intention.  I was merely stating what I have knowledge of.  YMMV.  Maybe the things you are complaining about will be addressed when they release a newer version X5III in the future.

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #5,868 of 7,088
  @koliniol - your point 7.  The X5ii has no internal memory.  I'm pretty sure (because of the size of the library some users were using) that FiiO had to start writing the library index to the external sdxc to get around this limitation. Before that, the number of tracks was capped - now that limit is removed because of the workaround.

And comparing to an iPod Classic isn't exactly fair.  Apple had had years to perfect their software.  And the storage and indexing is all internal and was based around a large library of mainly aac128 or aac256 tracks.  They knew how many tracks were potentially being used.  FiiO originally intended the X5ii to handle high-res files, and at the time this meant 256 Gb of memory and large files. They simply didn't see the potential for some users having 10's of thousands of files.

All I'm suggesting is that in their original plans, they would not have foreseen such a large library being used. I have no issues with people asking for improved features.  FiiO have shown a remarkable tendency to get things solved (albeit sometimes slowly).  Just don't expect an Apple like ecosystem in the next couple of years.  FiiO simply don't have the resource 

Thank you very much for such a complete explanation.
Actually if I knew it I would have thought twice before buying it.
Anyway I will try and live with that for a while and see. If I find it too annoying I'll probably will sell it.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5,869 of 7,088
  1. FiiO released a final firmware for the X5II.  They've said on head-fi that unless there is a bug, no other changes will be made.  A bug was found in fw 2.0, so 2.1 was released. 
2. I never said your tags weren't "perfect."  I was merely making a suggestion, but since your tags are "perfect," then I don't know what your issue is.
3. The wheel will go as fast as you can turn it and I've never found the speed of the wheel to be an issue.  To reduce scrolling, I reorganized my folders on the micro cards.  This might be something you can try as well, but won't benefit you if you only use category mode.
4. Once again, I don't know how you listen to your music.  If you listen to albums, then I would strongly suggest folder navigation because you can organize your music however you want in a folder structure.  artist, then album, then tracks.  You can even add the year into the folder title if you like.
5. There you go.  I've never needed to listen while charging so I have no experience with it.  I only hook up to the computer to add/remove music, DAC, or charge the device.
6. If you knew the answer to this, then why did you ask?  FiiO actually increased file transfer speeds in one of the fw updates not to long ago, but it wasn't anything major.
7. I have no experience with anything Apple so I can't comment.  However, many users have reported that the more you put on the X5II, that it UI starts to lag a little.  Once again, I still don't find it that slow IMO.

Like I said, I didn't want my comments or suggestions to come off the wrong way, which after your response here, I think they did and that was not my intention.  I was merely stating what I have knowledge of.  YMMV.  Maybe the things you are complaining about will be addressed when they release a newer version X5III in the future.

OK no offense taken.
But I don't thing that you are completely unbiased. You actually don't find any serious flaw in X5 as I understand.
We all know that most of what I'm pointing have been discussed before. So I guess that I'm not alone in this.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #5,871 of 7,088

1. Yes it is. But I believe that supporting 256 GB storage means exactly that. That your device has to be able to manage so many tracks.
2. There are these 3 fields in an mp3tag : Artist, album artist, compilation (checkbox).
In a normal album that is of ONE artist the fields ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST have the same content (the name of the artist). The field COMPILATION is unchecked (NO)

In a compilation album where each song is by another artist, the field ARTIST has artist's name for each song, the field ALBUM ARTIST has the value "VARIOUS ARTISTS" and the COMPILATION field is checked (YES).
So, imagine having this music collection : 20 Albums of 20 Artists and 2 Compilation Albums with 20 Songs each . That means that the total artists showed in FIIO is 20 (for "normal albums") + 40 (2 * 20) artists of the 2 compilations = 60. So fiio shows 60 artists where actually only 20 of them have an individual album while the rest only have ONE song

If FIIO had the option to "also" browse by ALBUM ARTIST it would be easy for the user to automatically rule out the 40 Compilation Artists (they will all be included in a single entry "VARIOUS ARTISTS") and only search within the MAIN 20 artists.
3.I accept that some users may like this but I know for a fact that when I visit a record shop and looking for a rolling stones album I will certainly find it in the R section and not in the T section. So at least there should be an option to "remove" "THE" article or show it at the end (eg Rolling Stones, The) .
4.For me browsing 30000 songs means that I don not only remember what I have in my collection. So it is practical to "let's say" choose 2016 in order to search this years realeases (which I do NOT remember).
6. GREAT thanks. Is this undocumented ?
7. they should make updating smarter. Now every time it will index every time all the files even though I may have added only 10 files.
8. I can guarantee you that it does not support all characters (for sure Greek ones) . I will try alternative themes (but will not try to build my own though), but they SHOULD FIX THIS ASAP.
9. I know for a fact that they cannot fix this because it has to to with the hardware used. It has nothing to do with the USB 2.0 as fourrobert13  mentioned above. I can leave with that but I mention it because I believe that they should not have used such cheap hardware.
10. I intend to use them. Would you recommend one (2.1 FW based )?

Honestly, I love the FW made for fast browsing. Totally forgot who made it though, as I installed and never came back. It's not as pretty, but it''s the most effective. I'll link to it when I find it! 

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,872 of 7,088

OK no offense taken.
But I don't thing that you are completely unbiased. You actually don't find any serious flaw in X5 as I understand.
We all know that most of what I'm pointing have been discussed before. So I guess that I'm not alone in this.

I guess being a long time FiiO X series user, I'm kind of used to things or have found a work around that fits my needs.  Every DAP has a flaw to someone.  I do wish it was USB 3.0 for faster file transfers and I wish they wouldn't have done away with OTG and that's really my only gripe, but I'm working around these things.  Being a folder user/album listener, the category method serves me no purpose.  Search function is useless to me because I've got my folders structured and know where everything is at.  We all are going to have different things we like and dislike when it comes to a DAP.  All we can do is research them and find something that come closest to what we want.  FiiO's have what I want as far as a DAP goes and they sound great and don't break the bank.  Like I said, FiiO may look at all of these things you and others have mentioned and make improvements to the next generation model like we are seeing with the new X1II.  Only time will tell.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #5,873 of 7,088
  I guess being a long time FiiO X series user, I'm kind of used to things or have found a work around that fits my needs.  Every DAP has a flaw to someone.  I do wish it was USB 3.0 for faster file transfers and I wish they wouldn't have done away with OTG and that's really my only gripe, but I'm working around these things.  Being a folder user/album listener, the category method serves me no purpose.  Search function is useless to me because I've got my folders structured and know where everything is at.  We all are going to have different things we like and dislike when it comes to a DAP.  All we can do is research them and find something that come closest to what we want.  FiiO's have what I want as far as a DAP goes and they sound great and don't break the bank.  Like I said, FiiO may look at all of these things you and others have mentioned and make improvements to the next generation model like we are seeing with the new X1II.  Only time will tell.

I also use the folder navigation and I have no problem and I'm enjoying the fantastic sound quality of x5ii

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #5,874 of 7,088
I would like a better EQ but I understand it would add greatly to the cost and most people aren't interested.

If I had a real beef it's that they took away the OTG function.
I had to roll back to 1.2 to get it again.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #5,875 of 7,088
  I would like a better EQ but I understand it would add greatly to the cost and most people aren't interested.

If I had a real beef it's that they took away the OTG function.
I had to roll back to 1.2 to get it again.

I would love better EQ function! 

More sliders, more treble sliders, higher swing, better quality to it! EQ is a must! 

As for OTG, it looked pretty hard to walk with it, so I never used the OTG function... 

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #5,876 of 7,088
Will X5II be able to accept the 200GB microSD as well as the 256GB microSD that are being released in October?

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #5,877 of 7,088
  Will X5II be able to accept the 200GB microSD as well as the 256GB microSD that are being released in October?

So far, X5ii was able to process everything! 

But the larger the music collection is, the harder it becomes to browse it and to actually listen to it...

But it will process them microSD cards just fine. 

Last time it was up to 2TB microsd cards 

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #5,878 of 7,088

tkteo, X5II is able to accept the 200GB MicroSD. For the 256GB,X5II may support it , but please kindly understand we are not sure about it, since we did not test it , any updated information will be keep informed here.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #5,879 of 7,088

I respect your opinion. I just need to pinpoint one thing.
Metadata Tags where invented in order to help organizing music files in libraries and to actually make the need for file/folder organizing obsolete.
Meaning that "Make sure you tag your files correctly and don't bother for file / folder structure. The app will do the rest"

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #5,880 of 7,088

I respect your opinion. I just need to pinpoint one thing.
Metadata Tags where invented in order to help organizing music files in libraries and to actually make the need for file/folder organizing obsolete.
Meaning that "Make sure you tag your files correctly and don't bother for file / folder structure. The app will do the rest"

I get that.  I'd actually hate to see what my stuff looks like in category mode to be honest.  I would have to retag a lot of it or it would be all over the place with genre tags.  Due to my listening style (albums) I've never had the need or desire to use the category method, but I know a lot of people do use it so they can view both cards at the same time which is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back