FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #5,836 of 7,088
  "but I guarantee that if the headphone is being driven properly"

OK I see where we got our lines crossed.
Yes, if the low gain is sufficient enough high gain will not make any improvement.
In fact it would probably clip the HP giving a clicking sound and damage the phones.

What I'm arguing is high gain is a MUST for hard to drive HP like my 600's.
I bought the X5ii because my Pono can't drive them in normal mode. (they do in balanced)

About hearing differently...of course!
ALL our senses our different.
But what some seem to forget is our own senses vary from day to day.
Our mood even effect our senses.

I once had my ear wax cleaned by a doctor and was stunned at how loud, sharp and brittle sound was after.
I'll never forget getting into my car and hearing my keys scrape across my jeans.
It was shocking how loud it was.
In time you adjust to the sound and the wax begins building up again.

We're like frogs in a pot of warming water...we adapt.
Walking out of a movie theater proves this every time.
This is why I'm highly skeptical of most "burn in" claims.

I'm glad we were able to clear things up.  Brooko explains it so much better than me.  Yes, your HD 600 would need high gain due to them being 300 ohm headphones and needing the extra volume to be able to listen at an enjoyable level.  In my case, 64 ohms is the highest impedance headphones I have so low gain is all I will ever need out of my X5II.  I've tested back and forth like Brooko said and that's how I know I hear no difference between high and low gain with my gear.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #5,837 of 7,088
The HD600 also seem to like more voltage supply (as opposed to current) - and that's where high gain on the X5ii (different gain mechanics) is able to assist with increasing working voltage from 5V to 7V.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #5,839 of 7,088
  I with grado 225E 32 ohms I set the low gain and I am fine, I am not an expert but in my case with high gain would be harmful because it adds more background noise?

There's no point in using high gain with the 225E
Especially if it adds noise.
But, no...it's not the background noise that's the problem.

Not enough power and the speakers can't move to their full potential.
Too much will distort the music and can blow the speakers.

IMO it's better to have a little more power than needed over less to ensure you're getting the full potential of the speaker.
You just have to be careful not to turn the volume up too high.
However, some people can't hear when a speaker is pushed too hard...fortunately I can

I wouldn't trust any HP review without the proper amplification.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5,840 of 7,088
  I've always thought the X5ii scroll wheel to be excellent. Sold my Questyle QP1R, because the wheel is a standing joke.

it only lasts or feels that way for about a year, then it will feel like it's about to fall off.  Mine did that right after the warranty was up and I didn't feel like sending it back to Fiio since it's out of warranty and didn't want to hassle with their support which was overseas

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,841 of 7,088
  it only lasts or feels that way for about a year, then it will feel like it's about to fall off.  Mine did that right after the warranty was up and I didn't feel like sending it back to Fiio since it's out of warranty and didn't want to hassle with their support which was overseas

Not my experience.  1 year 3 months - and its still firm.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #5,842 of 7,088

Not my experience.  1 year 3 months - and its still firm.

Same here! 

No difference from first day after 1 year and 6 months! 

But touch wheel also sounds very cool! I wonder why not full touchscreen though. A full digitizer is less than 3$. Maybe implementation costs are high though.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5,843 of 7,088

There's no point in using high gain with the 225E
Especially if it adds noise.
But, no...it's not the background noise that's the problem.

Not enough power and the speakers can't move to their full potential.
Too much will distort the music and can blow the speakers.

IMO it's better to have a little more power than needed over less to ensure you're getting the full potential of the speaker.
You just have to be careful not to turn the volume up too high.
However, some people can't hear when a speaker is pushed too hard...fortunately I can

I wouldn't trust any HP review without the proper amplification.

In fact, my impression is that in high-gain sound is like it was too fired up and a little confused from the low gain with 225th

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,844 of 7,088
Hi quick question Does someone with alpha dogs can tell me how they behave on fiio x5 2nd gen.I have fiio e12, AD and lg g4.. I'm looking for an update for my player.And to be honest I'm looking for something compact that will exchange fiio e12 and the phone and will be power enough to drive AD.I don't want to use e12 anymore.Will x5 be stronge enoug to drive them?
I found some posts about AD and x5 but not enough info.Thank You in advance for any useful info

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #5,847 of 7,088

Same here! 

No difference from first day after 1 year and 6 months! 

But touch wheel also sounds very cool! I wonder why not full touchscreen though. A full digitizer is less than 3$. Maybe implementation costs are high though.

wish they did a touch wheel.  Less parts to break down or if they used the buttons from the x3 1st gen instead, then my x5ii would last a lot longer

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #5,848 of 7,088

They push my Sennheiser HD600's (300ohm) perfectly in High Gain mode.

Do you feel like the 600's require high gain on the X5ii however?

I have the X5 and really like how everything sounds with low gain. My headphones are all easy to drive, however. 

Yes...I wouldn't have bought the X5ii if it didn't have the high gain.
On low gain I'd have to have the volume on full and it would still be not enough.
Even then the high end sparkle is reduced making the 600's veiled.
On high gain I usually listen around the 80% range (around 100 out of 120) with satisfactory results.

It's pretty simple...
Low impedance HP's~select Low Gain
High impedance HP's~select High Gain.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #5,849 of 7,088
Thanks koukol. I'd read that the x5 and x5ii amps are fine for driving the 600's. I didn't check to see if it was with high or low gain. Good to know that the X5 series pairs well with the 600's. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back