FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #5,941 of 7,088
I refer the right honorable gentleman to the answer I gave moments ago.

128gb is quoted as that was the biggest card available at the time of launch. 200gb works fine and no reason to believe 256gb won't either.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,942 of 7,088
Has anyone got one of these and would it be all good for my X5?
Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ/ref=zg_bs_3015433011_4

I'm running two of them just fine.  No issues at all other than it takes a little longer to update the media library (if you do that).  

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #5,943 of 7,088

Has anyone got one of these and would it be all good for my X5?
Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ/ref=zg_bs_3015433011_4

Officially 128GB works.
I haven't seen anyone using 200GB yet.
Someone has to try it to tell if it works.
It was beyond what I could afford.

Hi, ridhuankim
It has been tested that 200GB can be used in the X5II. But the operation may be slowly when meeting too many music files.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 18, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #5,944 of 7,088
I don't understand why this is still a question that is being asked. It has been reported many times here and I believe on FiiO's forum that the 200gb cards work fine.

Of course, you have to stick with quality cards like Sandisk, but that's the same no matter what capacity you are using.

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5,945 of 7,088
I don't understand why this is still a question that is being asked. It has been reported many times here and I believe on FiiO's forum that the 200gb cards work fine.

Of course, you have to stick with quality cards like Sandisk, but that's the same no matter what capacity you are using.

It is time the OP should update the first page of this thread with that information.
I checked and it did not have any info about it.
It would help if the first post is updated.

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #5,946 of 7,088
It is time the OP should update the first page of this thread with that information.
I checked and it did not have any info about it.
It would help if the first post is updated.

Done. :wink_face:

I will note that it's generally accepted that larger cards will work as they come out. I haven't read an instance on these forums for any mSD supported device that didn't support 200gb or 256gb cards (of course I could be wrong and they do exist, but I haven't come across one instance). The mSD spec is for up to 2tb.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,947 of 7,088
I have a question about rotating cards, if you rotate a new card or two into the player, what kind of a process is that?  I should add that I don't know how this player works file wise, but I mostly search/play flacs by artist then album and I don't use artwork if that matters. 

Is it just swap out a card and wait for the player to recognize the changes or is it something else?

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #5,948 of 7,088
I have a question about rotating cards, if you rotate a new card or two into the player, what kind of a process is that?  I should add that I don't know how this player works file wise, but I mostly search/play flacs by artist then album and I don't use artwork if that matters. 

Is it just swap out a card and wait for the player to recognize the changes or is it something else?

If folder browsing, swap cards all you want without any problems. If you use category browsing, then you'll have to update the media library every time you swap cards.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #5,949 of 7,088
I've had my X5 II for about 5 months now and I have two 200GB cards in it with approximately 18,000 songs from around 1800 albums.  I have been listening to it as I go to sleep for an hour each night on random and, though I'm usually asleep before the hour is up, I have been paying close attention to the songs and artists I do hear because I'm testing how quickly I can name a song or artist for music I have not heard in a while.  Getting pretty good at it.

What I have noticed though is that the random feature is not random enough and I have been hearing songs from some artists way more often than I should and nothing yet from artists for which I have lots of albums.  Example - I have 20 Led Zeppelin albums yet have only heard 2 songs so far and I have several bands which have only 1 or 2 albums yet I've heard up to 5 songs from some artists so far.  That's skewed towards that smaller artist.  Sure I like that artist but I figured I'd have heard less from them so far.

I know with an iPod you can sync with iTunes and it will report what songs have been played so you can see what's being selected and in the several years I have had a few iPods I can see it is spread out pretty well with the bell curve showing more songs from the artists with more albums.  But there's no way to see what the X5 has played so I can't prove what I am hearing.  I just know if I've heard one small band last night, I probably ought not hear them tonight.  But I do.

I think the random function needs to be checked to make it more random.  Not sure if anyone else is seeing this behavior but it's something I notice and figured I'd ask.

Kevin

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #5,951 of 7,088
  I've had my X5 II for about 5 months now and I have two 200GB cards in it with approximately 18,000 songs from around 1800 albums.  I have been listening to it as I go to sleep for an hour each night on random and, though I'm usually asleep before the hour is up, I have been paying close attention to the songs and artists I do hear because I'm testing how quickly I can name a song or artist for music I have not heard in a while.  Getting pretty good at it.

What I have noticed though is that the random feature is not random enough and I have been hearing songs from some artists way more often than I should and nothing yet from artists for which I have lots of albums.  Example - I have 20 Led Zeppelin albums yet have only heard 2 songs so far and I have several bands which have only 1 or 2 albums yet I've heard up to 5 songs from some artists so far.  That's skewed towards that smaller artist.  Sure I like that artist but I figured I'd have heard less from them so far.

I know with an iPod you can sync with iTunes and it will report what songs have been played so you can see what's being selected and in the several years I have had a few iPods I can see it is spread out pretty well with the bell curve showing more songs from the artists with more albums.  But there's no way to see what the X5 has played so I can't prove what I am hearing.  I just know if I've heard one small band last night, I probably ought not hear them tonight.  But I do.

I think the random function needs to be checked to make it more random.  Not sure if anyone else is seeing this behavior but it's something I notice and figured I'd ask.

Kevin

I have noticed this as well, but since Fiio is done with the X5ii firmware I doubt anything can be done. Would be nice to figure out a workaround though.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #5,953 of 7,088
Fiio X5 II doesn't have hardware EQ like the Fiio x3 right?
Hi, Nec3
Yes, the hardware EQ adjustment of X5II and X3II is same.

If asking if the X5ii has hardware treble and bass tone control like the first generation X3 then the answer is no.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #5,954 of 7,088
Has anyone used the Focal Elear with the X5II? I'm getting one in a few weeks when they have the restocked and want to know if they pair well with the X5 because until I get a new desktop amp/dac that's what I'll be using.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,955 of 7,088

Kevin

Good post! I only listen in random mode with my X5ii (X3ii and iPod Classic before that) and completely agree with you that the randomness isn't as random as it should be. The X3ii was guilty of this too. Whenever I update the media library the random play should be re-set too (shouldn't it?) but I seem to hear a large number of songs being re-played again that I heard before I updated the media library.

Quirky "random" play, that's for sure. I wish they would fix this before they abandon the latest X5ii firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back