FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #421 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks ClieOS! Much appreciated. And motrix, I would love to find out how the toslink cable works out for you; or if you ever get your MBP to work through USB.

I think I have found out what was causing the issues with my MBP at home and the distortion.  I plugged it in again when I got home and it was working great, no issues what-so-ever.  Then I connected my portable USB drive into my MBP and the distortion came back.  I disconnected the USB drive and swapped cables, and when I used the USB cable on my E17 the distortion came back.  I put the USB cable that came with the E17 back on and it was back to functioning flawlessly.

I can't explain it but I seemed to have isolated the problem to 1 particular USB cable.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a few sets of toslink-toslink cables and adapters to use in the future.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #422 of 6,777
Glad to know it is working for you now. It is often surprising to see problem arises from some seamlessly harmless place and the solution is almost too simple :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #423 of 6,777
I'm thinking of this:
MBP->3.5mm to toslink adapter-->Monoprice fancy 6Ft toslink cable-->E17 included SPDIF adapter

I'm going to guess that the Macbook pro's optical capabilites are not effected through the audio out port that is usually used with 3.5mm male cables right? My desktop also has an SPDI/F out but I would like to use my MBP for audio more than my desktop.

Of course..while playing BF3..i'll use the E17 :D through optical, but only then :D

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #425 of 6,777
Hey guys, first post here.  Heads up for Nokia owners - I just received my E17 and unfortunately it won't work with the N8 via USB OTG.  I'm quite disappointed since this was the main reason I bought it.  Now I just need to decide if I like its sound better than my E10 and E11 or it may be up for sale immediately.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #426 of 6,777

Quote:
Hey guys, first post here.  Heads up for Nokia owners - I just received my E17 and unfortunately it won't work with the N8 via USB OTG.  I'm quite disappointed since this was the main reason I bought it.  Now I just need to decide if I like its sound better than my E10 and E11 or it may be up for sale immediately.

Of all phones something running Symbian would be my least likely candidate for this to work. I'd doubt it'd even work with Android phones, and they've got a lot wider plug'n'play support.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #427 of 6,777
The N8, among other Nokia products, has gained fame among audiophiles for supporting digital audio out via USB, something Android products are not capable of (yet).  I was hoping that the E17 would be supported because the N8 had no problem with previous Fiio products (the E7 and D5).

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #430 of 6,777
I still have not had any luck getting the e17 to work with my work desktop and unfortunately it is a Dell Dimension E-521 so I do not have the option of going the toslink route.  Since I mainly purchased the e17 to use at work this is a problem.  I was wondering if a powered USB would possibly help?  If not, would an e9 enable me to use the e17?  

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #431 of 6,777

Quote:

I'll give you a small Cuban child and a box of pretzels... 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #432 of 6,777

Quote:
Mike at Headfonia already did, and ClieOS is planning on having his full review out quite soon.

you beat me too it :)

Quote:
The N8, among other Nokia products, has gained fame among audiophiles for supporting digital audio out via USB, something Android products are not capable of (yet).  I was hoping that the E17 would be supported because the N8 had no problem with previous Fiio products (the E7 and D5).

it has gained fame, but i still rarely hear about Nokia's around here. I do know of it's digital out capabilities though so it's at least not THAT unknown or anything...but then again. im a lurker

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #434 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm getting that horrible spending feeling again...thank god amazon have a 1 month return facility. Goodbye e10, it was fun 
tongue_smile.gif

awww. was it from Headfonia's review :D lol? Or did you also need the functions of the e17?

Well as we say...
"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet!"

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #435 of 6,777
Yes, pretty much nailed it on the head; gushing review, direct comparison to my beloved (ex) and I do very much like the sound of the acute +/- bass boost.
Poor wallet lucky me! 
Not too fond of the pricing though, I'd see about $120/£99.999 to be more of a sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back