FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #392 of 6,777
First off... It really is amazing how it came from Hong Kong and delivery to California in one day.  But now it looks like I have a problem with mine.  IPhone 4 LOD to the E17 is flawless.  But when I tried it with my MBP through USB, set output to the Fiio E17 in my MBPS settings, restarted iTunes the sound is really distorted.  The sound seems like it was going to clear up but goes back to being really distorted again.  I tried the aux again and verified that  it works just fine.  Reconnected it to my MacBook Pro and the problem still was stll there.

Any ideas of what I should try next?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #393 of 6,777

Quote:
Those that bought from us, MP4 Nation and were on preorder 1 and did not get a ship notification then unfortunately your order was not fulfilled. Our support has contacted all preorder 1 buyers whose orders did not ship, if you have not got our support email then check your spam box, we will have sent to your email address on your order. If you still can't find our email then open a new ticket at http://www.mp4nation.net/support and we will help you out.

I am very sorry we could not get every ones order out.

Also FYI if you are having issues using the E17 then do the following first:

1. Disconnect from your PC (if connected).
2. Hold the power button for about 5 seconds, it should turn on
3. Use any mp3 player with the aux in and your choice of earphone with the HO, confirm the sound is working.
4. Disconnect your player and connect to your PC, your PC should detect the E17 as a USB sound card
5. Goto your audio properties and make sure the E17 is selected as the audio output method
6. If you already had any audio apps (like windows media player) open when you connected the E17, exit the program and restart it (make sure step 5 has already been done before starting the app again).
7. Sweet audio should be pumping through the E17 :)

We had a few people already think they had DOA E17 as nothing would happen when they connected the E17 to their PC, but doing the above method resolved the issue and it started to work as a DAC when connected to a PC.

Currently enjoying #7 massively =D

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #395 of 6,777
Hey, i have a question for everyone that i'm not sure of. Is it better to increase the volume at the source or at the amp? What combination should be the most optimal?

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #396 of 6,777

Quote:
First off... It really is amazing how it came from Hong Kong and delivery to California in one day.  But now it looks like I have a problem with mine.  IPhone 4 LOD to the E17 is flawless.  But when I tried it with my MBP through USB, set output to the Fiio E17 in my MBPS settings, restarted iTunes the sound is really distorted.  The sound seems like it was going to clear up but goes back to being really distorted again.  I tried the aux again and verified that  it works just fine.  Reconnected it to my MacBook Pro and the problem still was stll there.

Any ideas of what I should try next?

Most like issue of the USB or sound driver on MBP. I have seen the same issue on E10 being discussed by Mac usuer as well (same TE7022 USB receiver). You might need to double check setting on your MBP to confirm it is working as intended. Also MBP has optical-out on its 3.5mm jack. You can try out the optical-in of E17 if you have toslink cable.

Quote:
Hey, i have a question for everyone that i'm not sure of. Is it better to increase the volume at the source or at the amp? What combination should be the most optimal?

Always max out on the PC side so you are getting all the digital resolution.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #397 of 6,777
Just checked with Mp4Nation. Apparently I was apart of pre-order two, even though when I ordered (11th) it didn't say I was going to get it in mid february. Oh well, some people in pre-order 1 is receiving it at the same time as me so I guess I can't complain too much.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #398 of 6,777
chose the betas instead of FedEx and now it is in the post service in Hong Kong...it will be a long long journey :)
(received my n2 player +M2 phones in a month, but everything was fine with quite protective package)

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #399 of 6,777
I ordered mine on the second day of pre-order and mine have been pushed back to mid of february... either these are a massive sellout or they shafted me lol    Oh well doesn't really affect me that much as my beyers are going for repairs :-{

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #401 of 6,777
It's amazing that leaving China after 5 years and having put up with Chinese New Year, the pain in the *ss that it is, all those years, the wretched holiday still taunts me just the same! Ordered the 12th, before it said it was going to be a delayed order, and didn't get any email about it... (I had been crossing my fingers for the last 3 days that a ship notice would be coming into my email)... *sigh*

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #402 of 6,777

Quote:
But when I tried it with my MBP through USB, set output to the Fiio E17 in my MBPS settings, restarted iTunes the sound is really distorted.  The sound seems like it was going to clear up but goes back to being really distorted again. 

I am currently having the same problem.  It worked fine last night with my home desktop and laptop but with my work desktop the sound is very distorted.  I don't know if there is a conflict or what but everything is setup correctly. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #403 of 6,777

Quote:
Ordered mine today, should have it by Tuesday.  Can't wait.

I ordered on monday and still says "Processing" 
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #404 of 6,777

Quote:
Most like issue of the USB or sound driver on MBP. I have seen the same issue on E10 being discussed by Mac usuer as well (same TE7022 USB receiver). You might need to double check setting on your MBP to confirm it is working as intended. Also MBP has optical-out on its 3.5mm jack. You can try out the optical-in of E17 if you have toslink cable.

Always max out on the PC side so you are getting all the digital resolution.

Quote:
I am currently having the same problem.  It worked fine last night with my home desktop and laptop but with my work desktop the sound is very distorted.  I don't know if there is a conflict or what but everything is setup correctly. 

Thanks for the replies.  Well it looks like it is a MBP issue.  I tried it out on my other MBP and HP Laptop and it works fine through USB.  Looks like I will need to pick up one of those toslink cables for my other MBP.  Any recommendations for which toslink to get?  I would imagine there should be no differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back