FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #436 of 6,777

Quote:
Yes, pretty much nailed it on the head; gushing review, direct comparison to my beloved (ex) and I do very much like the sound of the acute +/- bass boost.
Poor wallet lucky me! 
Not too fond of the pricing though, I'd see about $120/£99.999 to be more of a sweet spot.

haha i knew it.

You might not be fond of the price but it is incredibly fair for what it is offering and the reviews comming for it. It's like taking the E10, E7, and E11 and combining it into one thing with awesome option controls :D for..only $150? After a PM with an contributor that owns both the Audinist MX1 and the E10, he said that the E10 in his opinion was noticeably better then the MX1, he said that Mike @ headfonia tends to write reviews with price based in his mind a lot(his last comment on the E17 review page, might attest to this) and that he couldn't recommend the E10 at $80..like how could it beat something almost 3X it's price. and he might also like the audinist's more professional look too. factors factors factors.who knows.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #437 of 6,777

Quote:

haha i knew it.

You might not be fond of the price but it is incredibly fair for what it is offering and the reviews comming for it. It's like taking the E10, E7, and E11 and combining it into one thing with awesome option controls :D for..only $150? After a PM with an contributor that owns both the Audinist MX1 and the E10, he said that the E10 in his opinion was noticeably better then the MX1, he said that Mike @ headfonia tends to write reviews with price based in his mind a lot(his last comment on the E17 review page, might attest to this) and that he couldn't recommend the E10 at $80..like how could it beat something almost 3X it's price. and he might also like the audinist's more professional look too. factors factors factors.who knows.

I see the problem with the comparison, and audiophiles being audiophiles lol. 
It does seem though that the Fiio range of dap's/amps is moving a bit quickly, it wasn't long ago I was considering the E7/E9 then the E10 comes along and now this?! Fair enough some are dedicated amps, but from other amp/dac manufacturers I've seen like JSA they seem to be moving (/dominating) very quickly. I'd hope that for my $150 I'm not going to find that in a few months time they've undercut themselves and me!

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #438 of 6,777

Quote:

I see the problem with the comparison, and audiophiles being audiophiles lol. 
It does seem though that the Fiio range of dap's/amps is moving a bit quickly, it wasn't long ago I was considering the E7/E9 then the E10 comes along and now this?! Fair enough some are dedicated amps, but from other amp/dac manufacturers I've seen like JSA they seem to be moving (/dominating) very quickly. I'd hope that for my $150 I'm not going to find that in a few months time they've undercut themselves and me!

FiiO has been pulling something that I can reminese with/from Apple Inc. Right now is a great political, cultural, militarial, and ecnonomical revolution in China which is expecting my homeland to reach the rank of superpower by 2020. FiiO is just and has been taking a fine oppurunity and developing and name for themselves and going along with this new revolution in prices, cost of living, how much they make and stuff, and quality to bring us these goods. They have been blitzing the market, and as you can see. they are doing it effectivley from our Head-Fi'ers prespectives. Their products are of good quality and their support is good. 

I have never heard of JSA. im mainly in just heapdones and amps and dac's which is probably why. FiiO is also dominating. I may have no right to say this and not enough of current market status to make this claim. but ibasso has been hit really..really hard in every one of their sectors from FiiO..really hard. The majority of newbiews have been recommended both ibasso and fiio from what i have seen and done. and most go with fio. the reviews and luscious free marketing from reviewsers and us on head fi isn't helping their situation either :/

And..i bet in a few months it will. lol. probably not for a while. like half a year. fiio is currently known to start production soon on the succesor of the E9..basically the true docking buddy of the E17. i doubt their number of enginners and workers. albeit unknown can make another one so soon. We could follow pattern, but at this curret time. FiiO will have more or less filled up the whole sector from affordable amps and LOD;s to just DAC' and a desktop amp and then an allin one. and all have been released(E6,E11,E10,E9) in less than a year from now if not just half a year. They could come and do the E11's succesor next after the E9's..but with the e11's huge market responce on head-fi..is that needed? but then again, Fiio kkeeps on wowing. who knows. The E6, E7, have just been upgraded. the E9 is the next. and the E11 just came out a little bit ago... hmm the E11 is probably next. or they might move in another direction and advance forward even more...$200 Amp anyone? :D

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #439 of 6,777

Quote:
FiiO has been pulling something that I can reminese with/from Apple Inc. Right now is a great political, cultural, militarial, and ecnonomical revolution in China which is expecting my homeland to reach the rank of superpower by 2020. FiiO is just and has been taking a fine oppurunity and developing and name for themselves and going along with this new revolution in prices, cost of living, how much they make and stuff, and quality to bring us these goods. They have been blitzing the market, and as you can see. they are doing it effectivley from our Head-Fi'ers prespectives. Their products are of good quality and their support is good. 

I have never heard of JSA. im mainly in just heapdones and amps and dac's which is probably why. FiiO is also dominating. I may have no right to say this and not enough of current market status to make this claim. but ibasso has been hit really..really hard in every one of their sectors from FiiO..really hard. The majority of newbiews have been recommended both ibasso and fiio from what i have seen and done. and most go with fio. the reviews and luscious free marketing from reviewsers and us on head fi isn't helping their situation either :/

And..i bet in a few months it will. lol. probably not for a while. like half a year. fiio is currently known to start production soon on the succesor of the E9..basically the true docking buddy of the E17. i doubt their number of enginners and workers. albeit unknown can make another one so soon. We could follow pattern, but at this curret time. FiiO will have more or less filled up the whole sector from affordable amps and LOD;s to just DAC' and a desktop amp and then an allin one. and all have been released(E6,E11,E10,E9) in less than a year from now if not just half a year. They could come and do the E11's succesor next after the E9's..but with the e11's huge market responce on head-fi..is that needed? but then again, Fiio kkeeps on wowing. who knows. The E6, E7, have just been upgraded. the E9 is the next. and the E11 just came out a little bit ago... hmm the E11 is probably next. or they might move in another direction and advance forward even more...$200 Amp anyone? :D

I meant Ray Samuel Audio, sorry.
Yeah, its scary and almost too much for the average buy and go person to handle. Not only a change in buying patterns but more frequent questions posted by newbies on the same topics!
Its good to see though that the increased spotlight from (headfi etc) has let to better products, the digizoid zo2 comes to mind and the progress they've made with that..you don't happen to know when Digizoid are releasing anything new? Zo3 perhaps?

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #440 of 6,777

Quote:

I meant Ray Samuel Audio, sorry.
Yeah, its scary and almost too much for the average buy and go person to handle. Not only a change in buying patterns but more frequent questions posted by newbies on the same topics!
Its good to see though that the increased spotlight from (headfi etc) has let to better products, the digizoid zo2 comes to mind and the progress they've made with that..you don't happen to know when Digizoid are releasing anything new? Zo3 perhaps?

Ray samluels ahh. i have just started eharing about them. they don't yet hace the price to performance ratio that FiiO is dominating this immediate $sub $150 sector and influuncing of up to $250 sector yet. but are there.

What is too scary? and yeah..most newbies are regular consumers..and thus it's really really easy. you just keep on repeating the same thing. I just say E11 a lot since they are all consumer bass heads who want audiophile clairty

Digizoid. despite great initial presence i have had some not so appealing news and view of them :/ They suffered form many revisions and due to so much people. can't reach everyone at the same time so people get left out a lot. Not to mention the unpublished power specs :/ also some newbie's and seasoned head fi'ers were baffled to note that (from a private conversatoin i had) the ZO2 did NOT have enough "Actual" amping power and would lose it's clarity, detail and what not and just start clipping a lot (he didn't know what it was but it was clear that it was probably clipping due to amp) when used with higher or high impendance headphones. I gave him some threads and summary of the e11. and bang. a day later. a letter on how the E11 was exactly what he wanted :/

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #441 of 6,777

Quote:
Ray samluels ahh. i have just started eharing about them. they don't yet hace the price to performance ratio that FiiO is dominating this immediate $sub $150 sector and influuncing of up to $250 sector yet. but are there.

What is too scary? and yeah..most newbies are regular consumers..and thus it's really really easy. you just keep on repeating the same thing. I just say E11 a lot since they are all consumer bass heads who want audiophile clairty

Digizoid. despite great initial presence i have had some not so appealing news and view of them :/ They suffered form many revisions and due to so much people. can't reach everyone at the same time so people get left out a lot. Not to mention the unpublished power specs :/ also some newbie's and seasoned head fi'ers were baffled to note that (from a private conversatoin i had) the ZO2 did NOT have enough "Actual" amping power and would lose it's clarity, detail and what not and just start clipping a lot (he didn't know what it was but it was clear that it was probably clipping due to amp) when used with higher or high impendance headphones. I gave him some threads and summary of the e11. and bang. a day later. a letter on how the E11 was exactly what he wanted :/

I get a better feel from a company like RSA as they seem to take more time in releasing an amp and have fewer upgrades. 
Not scary as such just the though in the back of your head that in a few months yours will be outdated, similar to how apple work..small revisions at a time. When I see the E11 I just don't see the quality, looks a bit naff too to my eyes (maybe the apple snob coming through).. and I know its about audio quality but still, look at the head stage arrow..gorgeous piece of kit!

The case with most starter companies I imagine, still credit for acknowledging the faults and moving quickly. Would you say the ZO2 is more novelty compared with something like the head stage arrow?

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #442 of 6,777

Quote:
I get a better feel from a company like RSA as they seem to take more time in releasing an amp and have fewer upgrades. 
Not scary as such just the though in the back of your head that in a few months yours will be outdated, similar to how apple work..small revisions at a time. When I see the E11 I just don't see the quality, looks a bit naff too to my eyes (maybe the apple snob coming through).. and I know its about audio quality but still, look at the head stage arrow..gorgeous piece of kit!

The case with most starter companies I imagine, still credit for acknowledging the faults and moving quickly. Would you say the ZO2 is more novelty compared with something like the head stage arrow?

i get what you mean, but they can't make it smaller. you also have to add in price. And yeah that was good looking. I am a Apple snob too, but i can't point out every idiosynracy of an $60 product i see :/

haha yeah. starter companies do that really quickly. espeically very active one's. I can't say anything about the ZO2 or headstage arrow. i don't own either, i have only heard stuff and know a bit and can summarize what i have read on the Zo2. i know nothing on the headstage arrow.

However the question on is the ZO2 is a novelty. i might be able to answer that. in my opinion, no it is not a noevelty. mike's and other reviewsersof the countour and smart vektor technology is very positive. it just needs to dual amp. if you check out digizoid's fb page, many do it. however, the ZO2 has been recommended to too many people with high impendance headphones that dn't have a lot of cash, and to them...a $100 flava flav booster ain't gonna do them any good if the ZO2 starts clipping and flattnens everyting on them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #443 of 6,777
Yeah, from reading up a bit its heading in the right direction just not there yet hence why I asked about the ZO3..just a bit iffy atm. Dual amp? Sounds expensive 
devil_face.gif
!

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #444 of 6,777

Quote:
I still have not had any luck getting the e17 to work with my work desktop and unfortunately it is a Dell Dimension E-521 so I do not have the option of going the toslink route.  Since I mainly purchased the e17 to use at work this is a problem.  I was wondering if a powered USB would possibly help?  If not, would an e9 enable me to use the e17?  

E9 won't fix the problem as it still relies on E17's USB receiver to handle the communication with the PC. Any Windows should be a straight plug'n'play. If it is not, then it is very likely the Windows driver is corrupted or your setting is wrong. To be sure, just try E17 on another PC to confirm. You might also want to try another USB port, disconnect other USB device, reinstall the audio driver, etc.

Quote:
.... It does seem though that the Fiio range of dap's/amps is moving a bit quickly, it wasn't long ago I was considering the E7/E9 then the E10 comes along and now this?! Fair enough some are dedicated amps, but from other amp/dac manufacturers I've seen like JSA they seem to be moving (/dominating) very quickly. I'd hope that for my $150 I'm not going to find that in a few months time they've undercut themselves and me!

E7 has been in the market for 2 years now, E9 is almost a year. E10 is over 3 months now. The problem for FiiO, where its product are mainly for the mass market instead of niche audiophile, is that they can't price the product's price high enough to deter clone and competition to come into the same play field. RSA (and similar amp maker) has much less problem with cloner and competition as they are targeting only a small group of user who are willing to pay big buck and deal with them directly. High end amp maker also don't really compete with each other, much like Ferrari and Porsche both have their own buyer. For FiiO however, their main strategy is to offer bang for the buck by mass production. But once the market of a certain product becomes too profitable, other manufacturer will join in and offer something better (a good example will be how iBasso targets E7 with D-zero). The best way for FiiO is to keep moving forward so the competition and cloner never get the chance to catch up. When they do, FiiO will have moved to the next product. It is pretty much the same strategy of most large electronic manufacturers, like Sony and Panasonics.

p/s: you will surprised how much of these expensive amps are not 2 or 3 times better than the cheaper amp that cost half (or less) their price. If you have a chance, go to a meet and audition them for yourself.

Quote:

digiZoid is just a very small company. Like any small startup, they need to face a lot of problem in R&D and manufacturing. FiiO has been to that place as well, just that it is before your time here in the forum.

Actually ZO2.3 has pretty good power output. Not a lot by any mean, but it is more than suffice for most headphone that are not difficult to drive. The problem is people start to try it on 300ohm or 600ohm headphone that are clearly not the designer's intent.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #445 of 6,777

Quote:
Yeah, from reading up a bit its heading in the right direction just not there yet hence why I asked about the ZO3..just a bit iffy atm. Dual amp? Sounds expensive 
devil_face.gif
!

hah yeah, you're getting there :D PM me or anything if you have any questions. I may be able to answer, or may not; depends. I get a good number so feel free
Dual amping is not as expensive as you think. it's just choosing two amps to provide you the synergy and power that you need to enjoy your music. for he ZO2. most just use a higher powered amp to drive it . I guess the E11 would be a good choice here. however, that's only thinking in terms of both are bassy amps and the E11 has power. actual synergy wise..i woulnd't know. it's just a thought

Quote:

digiZoid is just a very small company. Like any small startup, they need to face a lot of problem in R&D and manufacturing. FiiO has been to that place as well, just that it is before your time here in the forum.

Actually ZO2.3 has pretty good power output. Not a lot by any mean, but it is more than suffice for most headphone that are not difficult to drive.

yeah, i know they are a small startup, that's why i didn't try to get too much into marketing and all. they are good for where they are. and yeah,...haha i'm a green horn on this forum in terms of companies and such :D 

ZO2 from what i have seen and read has enough to drive regular headphones. but my PM'er had Ultraonse Pro 900's and the ZO2's are then inadequete. both the E11 and ZO2 have thier pro's from what i see/hear. it just seems like you said. fiio needs to target en mass. so their $65 E11 is able to just do the job cheaper than the ZO2. provide power and tonality. You could say digitzoid is heading towards a enthusaist market. i just didn't like how so many newbies went into the ZO2 and i almost did without any warning that it's not enough to drive some HD650's or other high impendance one's...i guess it's my fault. im too used to FiiO :D

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #449 of 6,777

Quote:

Haha. Yeah, my wallet is already mad at me and I've just begun.

haha yeah. and even worse..you are on a thread about a product!!

So can anyone answer justingregoire question of E17 with HD598 or at least E11 with HD598 as that's also a pretty valid one. the E17 works with the MBP though. you need an extra 3.5mm to toslink adapter though

i looked around a bit on HD598 with E11. there's not really any upfront and personal comments on HD598 users that know their stuff commenting on if the synergy is good. Google it. The E17 can definatley "Drive" the HD598's as they arn't high Ohm or sensitive. but actual performance i can't say. See if you can find an HD598 owner that is at least an 100+ head fi'er that also has E11

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #450 of 6,777

Quote:
haha yeah. and even worse..you are on a thread about a product!!

So can anyone answer justingregoire question of E17 with HD598 or at least E11 with HD598 as that's also a pretty valid one. the E17 works with the MBP though. you need an extra 3.5mm to toslink adapter though

i looked around a bit on HD598 with E11. there's not really any upfront and personal comments on HD598 users that know their stuff commenting on if the synergy is good. Google it. The E17 can definatley "Drive" the HD598's as they arn't high Ohm or sensitive. but actual performance i can't say. See if you can find an HD598 owner that is at least an 100+ head fi'er that also has E11

Thank you! I'll take some more time browsing more forums as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back