Feb. 2006 Cayman Meet - Are you Mon Enough?
Nov 28, 2005 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Start a thread - we've got your back. Something like, "Feb. 2006 Cayman Meet - Are you Mon Enough?" should get the mojo started.

I thought I'd start this thread off with an explanation of the title. It came from Gene, not me. I'm not dork enough!
eek.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

But I do think it's time! (This is just an interest check for now, but it can and should turn into a real meet planning thread very quickly if there is a fair amount of interest.)

My biggest concern, quite frankly, it that it may interfere with the plans of those who would like to attend the National meet in New York in April 2006 but might not be able to afford the time/money to attend both. Yet, perhaps this potential conflict will prove to be more imaginary than real.

Suffice it to say that it would be an expensive trip to visit Grand Cayman. Airfare alone would be approximately $500 from Chicago, $300 from Miami, and $700 from LA. Of course these are just my guesses at the averages and with good planning you might do a little better.

Accomodation costs would be another issue, but depending on the size of the crowd there are a number of options that could be explored. For one, I've got no issues at all with having people hang out a my house, so long as they don't mind sleeping on couches, home theater seats, or air beds. Another creative example that someone suggested would be to rent the biggest tent I can find and turn my back yard into a camp ground! Sleeping bags by night, and fresh showers by day. In other words, once you wake up, it would be just like staying at a hotel. Well, almost. Another possibility would be to rent a condo on the beach that sleeps 6 to 8 people (and even lie about the number of people in your party if you have to) in an effort to keep the costs down.

Why February? It's the middle of tourist season (lots of babes on the beaches) and the temps are typically mid 80s during the day and high 70s during the evenings. Rather cool by Cayman standards, but a LOT warmer than in Chicago! Plus there doesn't tend to be much rain in February and that's a big factor here. When it rains, it pours, and you don't want to spend an entire week listening to headphones.

Gear-wise, I'm pretty well set (
biggrin.gif
) so y'all wouldn't need to bring much! My HT system will be up and running by then as well which will be a real treat.

Any number of outdoor events could be planned, including scuba diving, snorkeling, boat and/or fishing trips, and a wide variety of water sports. Of course guided Island tours to the off-the-beaten-path places would be offered by yours truly (along with Santa's lady helpers). Grand Cayman can be a rather fun place to hang out!

Timing-wise, what I had in mind would be a 9 or 10 day event that covers two weekends and a week in between. (Heh! I just did this to Aaron in NY, so it would be his chance to return the evil favor.) The idea would be to try to accomodate as many interested parties as possible so that they could come and go as they wish. There would be 2 official "Head-Fi Meet" days on the "opening ceremony" and "closing ceremony" Saturdays. Thus, for example, you could come from Fri-Wed or from Thurs-Sun, or for the entire time, whatever works. During the week, everyone would be free to do as much or as little listening as they wish. Of course, if the demand is higher than I expect, we could move the Saturday meets to another location, such as the Holiday Inn.

I'm thinking the last two weeks during February would be best, but would obviously be flexible depending on the responses.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that you can still travel to and from Cayman with an official birth certificate if you do not have a passport, but obviously having a passport would be prefereble and is not terribly expensive or difficult to attain.

Spouses, girlfriends, children, grandparents, everyone is welcome to bring who they choose, and it would be nice if it turned into a nice family type of event. I'll be happy to work with you as you plan your trip, especially with respect to accomodations.

What say you?

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 42
I might be in depending on how much it would cost total for airfare from VA and accomodations.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I might be in depending on how much it would cost total for airfare from VA and accomodations.

I know that accomodation costs will be a big factor for a lot of people and this is where creative thinking comes in. The more people attending, the better, in terms of trying to work out a deal with one of the beach front properties. Yet, it's never cheap when you go the "commercial" route. The couch and floor crashing idea only works for the single guys, and the backyard tent idea may or may not be practical. But if there's a will there's a way and I really don't mind turning my place into a zoo for a while if that's what it takes.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 42
Count me in! As long as date is after Feb 12, 2006, I am there. No way will fair half allow travel to exotic location alone (she knows the chick magnet she married, and can't stand competition
biggrin.gif
), so there will be two for the limbo contest ...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Ok, real reason that wife is coming is so I don't have to room with Ray or Aaron ( shhh don't tell 'em, I love them both, but have you ever tried sleeping with either of them?)

Sailing anyone? I'm checking charters now ...

Oh, yeah, might listen to some headphone rigs, too.

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I won't make it. Taking a big trip in December, then NYC in March and April, then 20th anniversary trip to Europe or New Zealand in the summer.

I understand, man. You'll be missed!

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Ok, real reason that wife is coming is so I don't have to room with Ray or Aaron ( shhh don't tell 'em, I love them both, but have you ever tried sleeping with either of them?)

Uhh... no, and I have no plans to either!

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 42
I just checked for the weekend of 2/17 (as an example) and the cheapest from travelocity on Cayman Airways was $316 rt from Miami to Grand Cayman.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
i'm there. i can take 3 with me if anyone wants to share the cost of renting a cessna. anyone?

Hmmmm...this becomes more and more tempting. How much would renting a Cessna cost? If it's within our budget, I think I might be able to twist my wife's arm to come to a Head-Fi meet...LOL

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 42
I'd love to come down. I can't let Gene have all the babes
tongue.gif
!

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
Hmmmm...this becomes more and more tempting. How much would renting a Cessna cost? If it's within our budget, I think I might be able to twist my wife's arm to come to a Head-Fi meet...LOL

you out of your mind considering getting in an airplane with me!!!

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
you out of your mind considering getting in an airplane with me!!!

Walking from MD to FL and then swimming would be a safer alternative.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I just checked for the weekend of 2/17 (as an example) and the cheapest from travelocity on Cayman Airways was $316 rt from Miami to Grand Cayman.

That seems about right. Remember that this will be busy season in terms of tourism so chances are there won't be any bargains and the flights will fill up fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back