FAD Final Audio Designs FI-BA-SS Mini-review/initial impressions
May 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #31 of 74
Yeah actually I tried to do some research the first time after I listened to these but it seemed so few people had them and the
mystery just added to their allure
regular_smile .gif

May 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #33 of 74

Thanks for the tips! on tips :)   The stock silicons are fairly decent but I am already experimenting with some sony hybrids and have ordered some comply's as well! What tips suit your 1601SB's the best?

Hello, sorry for the late reply but I travel a lot so don't always have access to the Internet.

In have tried over 20 different tips with my SB's.... The best ones are black half-dome silicone tips in bought from Mingo in HK. They give me the best balanced sound and also a bit more isolation compared to other tips. I have found that although a lot of tips look similar, they sound quite different due to slight differences in material, or the thickness of the material, or the contour of the tip. So you have to try them out. Interestingly, I found some tips bought form the ¥100 stores in Tokyo to actually sound very good.

Anyway, from your description, the BA has a different sonic signature from the SB so different tips will suit them compared to the SB.

Do keep us informed about how you are getting along with them....

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #34 of 74
Further update:

I've tried them out with a variety of tips including Sony Hybrid and AT silicons and found the Comply TX 400s to be quite nice. They do an excellent job of isolating and keeping the weighty FADs in my ear which has made them solid on the go (much superior to my DDMs but inferior to my SE530s for pure isolation).
    Soundwise the FADs continue to impress. While their presentation is a bit forward and bright, I am really finding that to be to my liking. Their Soundstage is absolutely astounding as well. As I said before, a simple pairing with my Fioo E5 really opens them up when listening at home. On the go they pair just fine with my ipod/ipad and their extremely high sensitivity makes them easy to drive despite a bit of hiss.
    The cord, despite its long length, is fantastic and nearly tangle-free as well.

But the most interesting trial my nearly-priceless wonders have gone through is the "girlfriend test."

A week or two ago I let it drop to my gf how much my FADs cost and she nearly had a heart attack. My gf is very conservative with her money (the opposite of me) so I wasn't surprised at all at her reaction. Her first response was "I didn't know earphones could cost so much!" She immediately wanted me to check on the return policy, which I did!
   Half-serious, I asked her to try them out, saying she would be able to tell the difference. After a ten minute or so A/B/C with my DDMs and 530s she started laughing.
    "I like them" she said "but the price is ridiculous!" she did add that they all sounded a lot better than her Sony Earbuds!
   I told her I had been initially been planning to get the Ortofon EQ-7's at about a third of the price. She suggested that maybe I should do a return/exchange. She called the shop to check on the return and said I could have another week with my FADs and think what I wanted to do.
    So just this past weekend I went out to meet my gf near Akiba, where I purchased my FADs. By this point I was actually considering to return them, as I had enjoyed them quite a bit, but I was thinking about everything I could do with that 98,000yen back!
     Well, while we were on a fairly long train detour, I did another A/B session with my gf as we were both listening to music on on Ipods. While she was listening to Queen I alternated her Sony earbuds/DDMs/and the FADs.
    To be honest, I was really expecting the quite spectacular DDMs to perform well enough to further turn my gf against my pricey FADs. In fact, I had already been pushing the DDMs as "the best value in earphones" which to her was still "too expensive" at 15,000yen.
    But, to my surprise, just as I was planning to return them, my gf announced "you should keep them!"
    My response "Do you really think they are worth it?" I pointed at my DDMs "They sound pretty good for a lot less, don't they?"
    "But they aren't comfortable and they sound too loud." I wasn't sure what she meant but after a little more discussion I think she found their timbre and bass to be blocking detail...
     I tried pushing the DDMs a bit more but she actually became insistent! And I decided I really wanted to keep my FADs anyway so I gave up :)

Then today, we were in my apartment listening to music, and she wanted to listen to my FADs some more. I asked her to take a look at a Japanese review of the FADs where they were compared to the 530s. So I pulled out my 530s and had her do a little more A/B.  To my slight surprise she criticized the 530s for being "quiet" which I believe with more discussion was a complaint about their more laid-back sound. She also added that the FADs sounded to her "like a concert" which I told her was called soundstage.
     I joked to her if she was thinking to buy her own pair of FADs but she gave me a look like she expects me to give her mine! Which I certainly won't
biggrin.gif

But anyways, it's good to know the FADs passed the "girlfriend test". I guess I can sleep more comfortably now
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #36 of 74

Takoyaki7,

You have quite a nice GF, I am quite jealous of you. Approving $1000 earphones that is awesome indeed.  May I wonder if she is of Japanese heritage?
I will be visiting Tokyo soon, I should meet up with you and make some A/B comparison together with e-Q7s.
Cheers!
Quote:
Further update:

I've tried them out with a variety of tips including Sony Hybrid and AT silicons and found the Comply TX 400s to be quite nice. They do an excellent job of isolating and keeping the weighty FADs in my ear which has made them solid on the go (much superior to my DDMs but inferior to my SE530s for pure isolation).
    Soundwise the FADs continue to impress. While their presentation is a bit forward and bright, I am really finding that to be to my liking. Their Soundstage is absolutely astounding as well. As I said before, a simple pairing with my Fioo E5 really opens them up when listening at home. On the go they pair just fine with my ipod/ipad and their extremely high sensitivity makes them easy to drive despite a bit of hiss.

But the most interesting trial my nearly-priceless wonders have gone through is the "girlfriend test."

A week or two ago I let it drop to my gf how much my FADs cost and she nearly had a heart attack. My gf is very conservative with her money (the opposite of me) so I wasn't surprised at all at her reaction. Her first response was "I didn't know earphones could cost so much!" She immediately wanted me to check on the return policy, which I did!
   Half-serious, I asked her to try them out, saying she would be able to tell the difference. After a ten minute or so A/B/C with my DDMs and 530s she started laughing.
    "I like them" she said "but the price is ridiculous!" she did add that they all sounded a lot better than her Sony Earbuds!
   I told her I had been initially been planning to get the Ortofon EQ-7's at about a third of the price. She suggested that maybe I should do a return/exchange. She called the shop to check on the return and said I could have another week with my FADs and think what I wanted to do.
    So just this past weekend I went out to meet my gf near Akiba, where I purchased my FADs. By this point I was actually considering to return them, as I had enjoyed them quite a bit, but I was thinking about everything I could do with that 98,000yen back!
     Well, while we were on a fairly long train detour, I did another A/B session with my gf as we were both listening to music on on Ipods. While she was listening to Queen I alternated her Sony earbuds/DDMs/and the FADs.
    To be honest, I was really expecting the quite spectacular DDMs to perform well enough to further turn my gf against my pricey FADs. In fact, I had already been pushing the DDMs as "the best value in earphones" which to her was still "too expensive" at 15,000yen.
    But, to my surprise, just as I was planning to return them, my gf announced "you should keep them!"
    My response "Do you really think they are worth it?" I pointed at my DDMs "They sound pretty good for a lot less, don't they?"
    "But they aren't comfortable and they sound too loud." I wasn't sure what she meant but after a little more discussion I think she found their timbre and bass to be blocking detail...
     I tried pushing the DDMs a bit more but she actually became insistent! And I decided I really wanted to keep my FADs anyway so I gave up :)

Then today, we were in my apartment listening to music, and she wanted to listen to my FADs some more. I asked her to take a look at a Japanese review of the FADs where they were compared to the 530s. So I pulled out my 530s and had her do a little more A/B.  To my slight surprise she criticized the 530s for being "quiet" which I believe with more discussion was a complaint about their more laid-back sound. She also added that the FADs sounded to her "like a concert" which I told her was called soundstage.
     I joked to her if she was thinking to buy her own pair of FADs but she gave me a look like she expects me to give her mine! Which I certainly won't
biggrin.gif

But anyways, it's good to know the FADs passed the "girlfriend test". I guess I can sleep more comfortably now
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #37 of 74
Great girlfriend story takoyaki7. We should all be so lucky to have a wonderful girlfriend like that. Happy listening!

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #39 of 74
Amping a $1000 IEM with an E5... I would spend the money on the SM3+amp personally. Or more realistically, the JH-13.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #40 of 74

Quote:
Further update:

biggrin.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Well, you know what to get her for her birthday. Or anniversary. 

Whichever is sooner.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #42 of 74
I know I am using a cheap amp so what would be best with listening to the FADs on my macbook?
   And does the fact that the FADs have low impedence (16ohm) and very high sensitivity mean a certain kind of amp is best to avoid hiss?
       And if I have the money I will definitely get her a pair too
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #44 of 74

Quote:
I know I am using a cheap amp so what would be best with listening to the FADs on my macbook?
   And does the fact that the FADs have low impedence (16ohm) and very high sensitivity mean a certain kind of amp is best to avoid hiss?
       And if I have the money I will definitely get her a pair too
biggrin.gif

I'm with you. The Fiios are decent cheap amps. If it's satisfying you, then continue with it. Happy listening.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #45 of 74
Just a little bump to this thread to say thanks to takoyaki7.
smile_phones.gif

After my rough ride with the 1601SB I would not have given FAD a second chance, but thanks to your great review and comparison with the e-Q7, the risk to go for the FI-BA-SS seemed relatively modest.

Listening to them now as I write and first impressions are much better than with the 1601. These phones are crystal clear with excellent resolution, in a way like high-definition Ortofons. Or maybe a refined mixture of CK10/100's treble clarity and e-Q7's mids and bass. Although I concur with the OP that there's a slight harshness to the highs with some tracks, it doesn't strike me as all too serious so far.

I'm not going to jump to over-enthusiastic conclusions, yet there is no doubt that these hold a lot of promise. The FI-BA-SS are admittedly overpriced toys, nevertheless it's simply stunning what you can do with a single driver in a tiny shell these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back