FAD Final Audio Designs FI-BA-SS Mini-review/initial impressions
May 24, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #16 of 74

Quote:

You must be really brave and courageous man, 1000+ dollars for IEMs!!  what an investment. I am curious how many of this actually sell all throughout Japan.  Also, what is your problem with not being able to use DDMs while commuting? I commute as well and I have no complains. Perhaps, you mentioned your ears are small and you are experiencing discomfort with DDM as well as with e-Q7 due to that?

Anyhow, Nice review, hope you can enjoy your music even more now with the FAD!

I thought you bought one as well? You posted some pictures of this in another FAD thread :)

Thanks for the review @takoyaki7. I remember @javajive said that this FAD sounds close to e-Q7. Where is @javajive by the way...

May 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 74
To provide some further impressions and answer some questions...
   I spent the day with my trusty 530s for my commute due to their excellent isolation and my desire to treat my pricey new acquisition carefully. And I must say the 530s sounded very muddy by comparison and I was excited to get home and back to my FADs.
   Since then I have gone back-and-forth with the FADs, Radius DDMs, and my 530s and can make a few comparisons.

-First, the 530s are more than competent, but rather average and maybe undynamic compared to the other DDMs and the FADs.
-Second, the DDMs are still shockingly accomplished earphones for the price. They also have several attributes over the FADs. They definitely offer more depth and a warmer sound.  To my ears they make almost everything sound good while the FADs tend to veer to different extremes.

Overall what strikes me about the FADs is how transparent and analytical (not an expert but I think thats the right word) they sound. Both the 530s and DDMs sound a bit muddy when compared directly, as if separated from details by a slight wall of sound. For better or worse the FADs are sparkly and crisp which can be a bit trebly and harsh at times but there is something about them that seems refreshingly honest. They present a completely different sound signature than my other IEMs and I find myself addicted to exploring the difference. This is not to say that the DDMs or 530s sound "artificial" but just that by comparison the treble screams when guitars get buzzy and nothing seems softened in the presentation. Of course they are still settling and those extremes seem to be coming down a bit already.
    -But for example I was listening to Herbie Hancock's Chameleon on the DDMs and FADs and was enjoying them both in different ways. The DDMs have an excellent 3D soundstage while the FADs are cleaner and more direct, lacking the depth but a bit more immediate.

And to answer a few questions:
   -In about 20 total min listening the the EQ-7s they were the closest comparison I could make in two exhaustive sessions of testing!
   -The only included tips are (3) silicons. No SS tips like the other models. And I (very) briefly tried those titanic SS FADs but since fit was a priority I found them to be almost an immediate monstrosity. Their sound didn't stand out in my memory in any particularly positive or negative way in about 2 min of listening, other than a nice soundstage!
   -My problem with commuting with the DDMs is I just don't feel confident with them in my ears. At home I feel ok but on the move and smashed against others on a packed train I feel like I am constantly adjusting them. I also feel that outside noise is intrusive and interferes more with their sound than my better isolating 530s. By the way the FADs leak a little sound in the back so I am hoping not to get in trouble using them on the train because it will be hard to justify the purchase if I can't use them on the go!

I realize that customs might have been a more sensible route for this kind of money, but I guess I have never been very sensible
bigsmile_face.gif

And unfortunately not rich either :)

May 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #18 of 74
LOL you are right. You are not sensible :)

Just joking. You won't know how good is a custom unless you try them. Perhaps there is no customs which could offer you the sound you like, in this case the sound you prefer is from these FADs. If you think in this way, your $1000 is well spent ^^

A self-admited not rich octopus ball cake bought a $1000 IEM LOL
biggrin.gif

I have read some Japanese review and yours is close to what the Japanese said. So these FADs is on the bright side. Luckily not my cup of tea :)

May 24, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #19 of 74

Quote:
I thought you bought one as well? You posted some pictures of this in another FAD thread :)

KLS,
No,  not at all. I would have never purchase FADs unless I was a "reach man".
mad.gif
  My e-Q7 sounds just as good as FADs to my ears. Nor I have any issues with the ergonomics or fit at all with my e-Q7 or DDMs.  I must have some special ears or something!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #20 of 74
$1000 is sometimes a few months' salary for some poor family...But anyway, glad you're enjoying it, and hopefully more people will plop their money down so we can read more reviews and impressions 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 74

Quote:
The challenge I have with such hardware is the drivers used simply are not that expensive, and there's only so much cost in the remainder of the materials as well.  Even for a very premium product with the best of the best BA driver made today and manufacturing practices that ensure a high level of quality, there's still only so much cost into the product.  The rest is overhead and profit for the company.  I wouldn't mind spending extra for the best hardware available, but I see a tremendous flaw in staying with a single BA design.  There really isn't one BA driver out there that covers the entire frequency spectrum really, really well.  It has time and time again required at least 2 drivers to cover the audible range well.  Even if the earphone is balanced well, there will always be some limitation on at least one of the two ends of the spectrum.  There are simply much cheaper options out there that cover the spectrum better.  It is unfortunate that you previously had the SE530 as an example though.  For 3 drivers, the SE530 doesn't show more range than most single BA earphones, just less distortion and a smoother response curve.  There are just a lot of dual and triple driver options available that do really well covering the spectrum and with a little EQing will get you whatever you want.

Great way to put the quantity vs. quality driver conflict.

May 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 74
Takoyaki7 San, congratulations on your new purchase, I am sure you will have many happy hours listening to them. Once you are used to them & are confident that they are run-in fully, I suggest you try different tips if you find the sound not entirely to your liking. I myself have the 1601SB's and can vouch that they sound dramatically different with different ear-tips. Also, my SB's took over 250hrs to run in so although it is said that BA type earphones do not need running in, I am not sure that is entirely true.
Happy listening!

May 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #24 of 74
Thanks for the tips! on tips :)   The stock silicons are fairly decent but I am already experimenting with some sony hybrids and have ordered some comply's as well! What tips suit your 1601SB's the best?

May 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #26 of 74
Because they are fairly heavy, I think the main issue with tips I have found so far is just a snug fit, otherwise the FADs can be a bit easy to slip out. The included tips are actually pretty decent but I have found some AT silicons to grip pretty well.

May 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #28 of 74
Small update:
  Pairing my FADs with my Fiio F5 has had TREMENDOUS benefits!  Although there is a slight bit of hiss the bump
in bass and soundstage make them (amped) superior to my DDMs and 530s in every way.
  The only thing that is annoying me is the ridiculously long 1.4m cord! Since I am not a tall person I much prefer shorter
wires!
   I also ordered some comply tips and am eager to test them with my FADs.
   My only other issue is my need to baby these things so extensively! I have still been using my 530s for commuting on rainy days and I can't
wait to get home and enjoy my FADs :)

May 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #30 of 74
Indeed he took one for the team, but I have to say that sometimes impulse buys in this hobby of ours is not a good thing. I think part of our hobby includes researching and waiting, contemplating, researching and then making the decision.

I'm just saying ... customs are the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back