FAD Final Audio Designs FI-BA-SS Mini-review/initial impressions
Jul 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #46 of 74
That's cool james444 glad someone else took the plunge.
bigsmile_face.gif

After spending more time with these and picking up the e-Q7s as well I was planning on making an updated comparison. So far I am liking my e-Q7s but a bit disappointed with them compared to the FI-BA-SS! Particularly their slightly rolled-off treble. Maybe it turns out I am really a treble person but I find the Ortofons an improvement on my Shures, and then the FI-BA-SS another improvement still!

After picking up a Fireye 2 and the Ortofon HD-Q7 amp I have found the FI-BA-SS to not benefit substantially from amping. In fact, to me they still sound best with the slight bass boost of my little Fiio!

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:
After picking up a Fireye 2 and the Ortofon HD-Q7 amp I have found the FI-BA-SS to not benefit substantially from amping. In fact, to me they still sound best with the slight bass boost of my little Fiio!

You're also the only one who I know who has that slick Ortofon amp! How is it with other headphones? 

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #48 of 74
ah you finally took the plunge james :) I still find this amount of money on an earphone pretty insane however :p

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #49 of 74
^ Admittedly you're right. But upgraditis is a curse. I was all set for the SM3, but after auditioning them thoroughly I realized that they would be more a sidegrade than an upgrade to my e-Q7. Undoubtedly more refined than the Ortofons they are well worth their €350,- price tag, yet for my taste they'd mean to compromise in spatial presentation, sound signature and clarity.

So the only universal left with the potential to surpass the e-Q7 in all aspects was the FI-BA-SS. Money aside, what I'm hearing so far makes me extremely happy with my decision.
smile.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #53 of 74
I'm glad you like them so far. Spending this amount and not liking it would suck. I'm guessing you got these via seyo shop or some other mail forwarding where returns wouldn't be so easy. Now to find out if they are a complete upgrade over the e-Q7 or not over the next couple weeks :)

There has to be something wrong when 29,800 yen is reasonable :p

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #54 of 74

Quote:

These look interesting, and they are certainly more reasonably priced, hoping to hear impressions/reviews on them soon. And when were they released just out of curiosity

heaven a in early August, heaven s in mid August, so August :)

Quote:
I'm glad you like them so far. Spending this amount and not liking it would suck. I'm guessing you got these via seyo shop or some other mail forwarding where returns wouldn't be so easy. Now to find out if they are a complete upgrade over the e-Q7 or not over the next couple weeks :)

There has to be something wrong when 29,800 yen is reasonable :p

Actually Japanese shops (don't know about Seyo) won't accept returns unless the items are damaged during delivery or malfunction. So james has left no choice but to like them ^^

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #55 of 74
That sucks then. Either way I am glad james likes it. It would definitely not be a good day if I bought something like that didn't like it and cant return it. That's a lot different than here where lots of shops for headphones have good return policies although most of them are sponsors here. Funny enough it probably is better to sell it in FS anyway since I have to pay a restocking fee most of the time.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #56 of 74

Quote:
Just a little bump to this thread to say thanks to takoyaki7.
smile_phones.gif

After my rough ride with the 1601SB I would not have given FAD a second chance, but thanks to your great review and comparison with the e-Q7, the risk to go for the FI-BA-SS seemed relatively modest.....

....I'm not going to jump to over-enthusiastic conclusions, yet there is no doubt that these hold a lot of promise. The FI-BA-SS are admittedly overpriced toys, nevertheless it's simply stunning what you can do with a single driver in a tiny shell these days.

Congratulations James, glad you took the plunge!

Keep us updated on your impressions of these and do a comparison with the SB's too. 

Have not had any time on my hands in the last couple of months to contribute much here; but I have been enjoying the SB's tremendously in the meantime.. :)

Warm regards

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #57 of 74

Quote:
By the way, two new BA models from FAD again:
heaven s (29,800yen)
heaven a (19.800yen)

Thanks for the discovery KLS! Looks like FAD are following a similar path to the 1601 series, the heaven 's' being made of brass and the 'a' of aluminium. This calls for a trip to Tokyo to audition them... :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #58 of 74

Quote:
That sucks then. Either way I am glad james likes it. It would definitely not be a good day if I bought something like that didn't like it and cant return it. That's a lot different than here where lots of shops for headphones have good return policies although most of them are sponsors here. Funny enough it probably is better to sell it in FS anyway since I have to pay a restocking fee most of the time.

That's why I am so envious...Buy everything and try them and return those you don't like and keep the one :) That being said, I have a, umm, not-so-easy-access to audition phones.

Yeah just hope james is smiling like crazy with his FI-BA-SS on :)

Quote:
Thanks for the discovery KLS! Looks like FAD are following a similar path to the 1601 series, the heaven 's' being made of brass and the 'a' of aluminium. This calls for a trip to Tokyo to audition them... :)

I thought it would be far cheaper than the air ticket if you just buy them :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #60 of 74
KLS, but you get to audition things before you buy them. I get no such thing so it balances things out. We get to return things you get them try them :)

I await a comparison with these and the e-Q7 eventually :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back