End-game for classical music
Aug 16, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #17 of 74
800 is not ideal for piano. 800 lacks that “live” sound the piano makes when hammer strikes the string and the subsequent reverberation generated by the sound board and the resonance of the wood rim.

Grado HP1000 / PS1
Spirit Torino Pulsar/Valkyria
Focal Utopia 2022 / Clear OG
HFM HE6/HE6se (only if you can drive it with speaker amp or equivalent headphone amp)
Neumann NDH30 / ZMF Auteur Classic (only if you can’t acquire any of the above)

I never noticed this and I think I would have, since I played piano for many years (recitals, jazz band) and I listen to a lot of solo piano recordings. I don't have any of the other headphones you mentioned except for the HE6SE V2. I'll take a listen.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 74
I never noticed this and I think I would have, since I played piano for many years (recitals, jazz band) and I listen to a lot of solo piano recordings. I don't have any of the other headphones you mentioned except for the HE6SE V2. I'll take a listen.
800S is not bad and is fine on its own for piano but when you compare with the others on the list you will hear the difference. For one, it doesn’t have quite the instantaneous dynamics and speed required for the fortissimo. 800S also lacks a bit of that solid, weighty notes and bass reverberation due to its too large soundstage. Chopin Sonata 2 3rd movement is a good piece to showcase the difference. Rach op39 no5 e-flat minor is also a good testing piece.

OP, Clear OG has the above qualities. among other things. It is also relatively neutral with a touch of warmth (will help with most recordings). ATH is also lively sounding but I dislike the tuning and default frequency response.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 74
Aug 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 74
Aug 16, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #23 of 74

I don't have the 800 S, I have a pair of 800s :wink:

Never heard the S model, I tend to go with originals of whatever.

I have some piano recordings in mind to try. Thanks for a nice weekend project :)

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 74
:sweat_smile: :thumbsup:

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 74
Get the HEK Stealth and save some money over the SE.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #26 of 74
Hi All,

I am looking for headphones which excel in classical music.
They may be used only for this genre if it is necessary. I have fantastic set for other genres, but nothing for classical one. :frowning2:
I need to add that I own powerful Topping A90 and 1900$ budget, and I am looking for end-game stuff.

Regards,
Pompal
Unless you have a very quiet space, I would recommend the best noise canceling headphones you can afford. Obviously, the quiet parts in CM are MUCH quieter than in any other genre, and in my space they simply can’t be enjoyed without active NC. A Bruckner symphony would be out of the question when it goes from a pin drop to a massive crescendo. If you have a quiet space, then that broadens your options, but if not, I don’t see how you could maintain immersion without active NC.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 74
Slightly unpopular opinion here...but if soundstage isn't something that needs to be as wide as the HD 800S or HE1000 Stealth, then the ZMF Verite Open is a fantastic option for classical music. So much speed, resonance, and body all at the same time. Probably best to give it an audition first though.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #28 of 74
You are more than fine with a 1900 budget. Just get an used HD800s and a competent amp. You could even get both a solid state and a tube amp with the leftover money. For example something like a 2nd hand Asgard 3/Jotunheim 2 for SS, and a 2nd hand Feliks Echo for tubes.

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 74
800 is not ideal for piano. 800 lacks that “live” sound the piano makes when hammer strikes the string and the subsequent reverberation generated by the sound board and the resonance of the wood rim.

Grado HP1000 / PS1
Spirit Torino Pulsar/Valkyria
Focal Utopia 2022 / Clear OG
HFM HE6/HE6se (only if you can drive it with speaker amp or equivalent headphone amp)
Neumann NDH30 / ZMF Auteur Classic (only if you can’t acquire any of the above)
I changed my mind about HE6se vis-a-vis Utopia 2022 on piano. HE6se reproduces hammer action a bit better, faster and more life like and the sub bass of HE6se can make you really feel the low notes in your stomach.

OP, if you can run HE6se from CFA3, GSX mk2, First Watt Sit3, Pass Labs XA 25 or something equivalent and couple the amp with a warmish source I think you will be able to enjoy piano on headphones like you have never before.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #30 of 74
I changed my mind about HE6se vis-a-vis Utopia 2022 on piano. HE6se reproduces hammer action a bit better, faster and more life like and the sub bass of HE6se can make you really feel the low notes in your stomach.

OP, if you can run HE6se from CFA3, GSX mk2, First Watt Sit3, Pass Labs XA 25 or something equivalent and couple the amp with a warmish source I think you will be able to enjoy piano on headphones like you have never before.
I pretty much agree, but the 1.8k dip needs to be EQ’d to get the timbre right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back