End-game for classical music
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

pompal

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am looking for headphones which excel in classical music.
They may be used only for this genre if it is necessary. I have fantastic set for other genres, but nothing for classical one. :frowning2:
I need to add that I own powerful Topping A90 and 1900$ budget, and I am looking for end-game stuff.

Regards,
Pompal

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 74
Attend CanJam so you can try things for yourself.

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 74
What type of classical (opera, symphony, single instrument)? source equipment? Sound profile preference? We know nothing about you and we need significantly more information to make any recommendation.

I can tell you right now that $1900 will not be close to end game. You will need to add an 0 to it at a minimum.

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 74
He1000SE is the best classical/orchestral headphone I've heard and it's now close to your $1900 budget. A few years ago I sold the SE for a Susvara and I regretted it when I re-listened to my classical playlist. The SE makes classical music exciting and engaging because of its tuning and large soundstage. I haven't heard the new He1000 v2 stealth but I'm sure it comes close.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 74
I'd get the (new-er) Hifiman HE1000 Stealth and never look back. I am almost exclusively (let's say 97%) a classical listener and it's one of the best I've heard at any price... And it can be had for less than your budget. :)

Aug 15, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 74
What type of classical (opera, symphony, single instrument)? source equipment? Sound profile preference? We know nothing about you and we need significantly more information to make any recommendation.

I can tell you right now that $1900 will not be close to end game. You will need to add an 0 to it at a minimum.
Usually I am listening to piano concertos, but sometimes I am switching to piano sonatas or especially to Beethoven Symphonies.
Not very often I am trying violin concertos. I hate opera, but from time to time I am listening to choral baroque pieces. :)
So summing it up... I prefer almost all types except opera.

@yolosauce and @javertim - what about my Topping? I am afraid that with Hifiman it may be too loud. Can we try with something what has more impedance? I would like to use at least mid gain on my amp.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 74
@yolosauce and @javertim - what about my Topping? I am afraid that with Hifiman it may be too loud. Can we try with something what has more impedance? I would like to use at least mid gain on my amp.
I use my HE1000 Stealth with the iFi Pro iCan and the Phantom, which are both very high in output power. No problem with either. Does the Topping have a gain switch? Single-ended as well as balanced output? If so, you could always go single-ended at a lowe gain setting.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 74
I use my HE1000 Stealth with the iFi Pro iCan and the Phantom, which are both very high in output power. No problem with either. Does the Topping have a gain switch? Single-ended as well as balanced output? If so, you could always go single-ended at a lowe gain setting.
It has, but I would like to use balanced output with at least mid gain. With low one music does not taste as with more power.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 74
I use the ferrum oor on medium gain with the SE and have no issues with volume. The oor is more powerful than the a90 so you have nothing to worry about.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 74
Used pair of HD 800

Aug 15, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 74
If you live in a small country you might be able to find a new pair. Anyway, that's why I said "used pair" :wink:

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 74
Ah, unfortunately I must reject HD 800 because of theirs lack of availability in my country.
So at this moment we have 2 candidates from Hifiman.
I am waiting for next models which I can test. I would like to collect list of at least 5 headphones and then decide. :)

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 74
Used pair of HD 800
800 is not ideal for piano. 800 lacks that “live” sound the piano makes when hammer strikes the string and the subsequent reverberation generated by the sound board and the resonance of the wood rim.

Grado HP1000 / PS1
Spirit Torino Pulsar/Valkyria
Focal Utopia 2022 / Clear OG
HFM HE6/HE6se (only if you can drive it with speaker amp or equivalent headphone amp)
Neumann NDH30 / ZMF Auteur Classic (only if you can’t acquire any of the above)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back