End-game for classical music
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 74
I'm a pianist does what would be the best for solo classical piano recordings?

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #47 of 74
What would be 'best' will always be a little subjective - so be skeptical of the preferences of others. It's very important I think to try at least a few different models, to decide whether you hear differences. If you do, and have a preference, others who have heard a range of phones can then help you narrow down the range you might like to try.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #48 of 74
What type of classical (opera, symphony, single instrument)? source equipment? Sound profile preference? We know nothing about you and we need significantly more information to make any recommendation.

I can tell you right now that $1900 will not be close to end game. You will need to add an 0 to it at a minimum.
I don't believe anyone participating in a forum such as this (or any Hifi forum for that matter) will ever have an 'endgame' this or that. Folks that are content don't do forums :smile_phones:.

So do yourself a lille flavour and just look for your next best thing (till another appears/is needed).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #51 of 74
Oh nice, I'll def have a look. Timbre with piano is quite important. They are hard instruments to capture / sound good. A lot of dynamics as well.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #52 of 74
Oh nice, I'll def have a look. Timbre with piano is quite important. They are hard instruments to capture / sound good. A lot of dynamics as well.
Absolutely. And not a ton of headphones can separate out piano from orchestral textures like for a concerto, and for that the HE1000 headphones (V2, stealth, and SE) are almost unmatched.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #53 of 74
Hi All,

I am looking for headphones which excel in classical music.
They may be used only for this genre if it is necessary. I have fantastic set for other genres, but nothing for classical one. :frowning2:
I need to add that I own powerful Topping A90 and 1900$ budget, and I am looking for end-game stuff.

Regards,
Pompal
From what i have been told and my understanding, for true end-game and true classical music, you are probably looking at electrostatics. I mean - maybe?

But without going down that rabbit hole i would probably be looking at Focal Clear or Hifiman Arya.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #54 of 74
Yes, that would make sense. Glad concertos were mentioned most of what I hear is solo but indeed gonna need something well-versed in chamber music and orchestral.
I'm looking at Meze too. I know they are more on the fun tuning - but I also listen to a lot of music for personal enjoyment (I'm quite eclectic) besides my hobby of recording piano. Tough call.
I guess I should just get 2 that are completely different. ughhh!

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #55 of 74
Yes, that would make sense. Glad concertos were mentioned most of what I hear is solo but indeed gonna need something well-versed in chamber music and orchestral.
I'm looking at Meze too. I know they are more on the fun tuning - but I also listen to a lot of music for personal enjoyment (I'm quite eclectic) besides my hobby of recording piano. Tough call.
I guess I should just get 2 that are completely different. ughhh!
Getting 2 different headphones will also help you not get bored/annoyed of hearing one sound for too long. I never thought I’d have my modest collection of 4 headphones, but each one serves its own purpose that I would miss it I only relied on the other 3. Especially for classical music, I find the headphones best suited for it are pretty ill-suited for my other genres.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #56 of 74
You won’t like HE1000 if you are a pianist. See my earlier posts. Could also consider Grado (too many models to choose from you have to demo yourself. HP1000 or HF2 or PS1 based on my experience but it’s dated).

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #57 of 74
You won’t like HE1000 if you are a pianist. See my earlier posts. Could also consider Grado (too many models to choose from you have to demo yourself. HP1000 or HF2 or PS1 based on my experience but it’s dated).

Oh, interesting why would you say that? I've never tried them so idk

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #58 of 74
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #59 of 74
Oh, interesting why would you say that? I've never tried them so idk
Because the timbre is not correct. I had the cans for a long time and I played for 10+ yrs (wouldn’t call myself a pianist 🤣)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back