Elysian Acoustics DIVA 2023
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #166 of 276
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #167 of 276
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #169 of 276
Speaking of details, will EQ help to increase the level of micro details on the Diva?
I don't really EQ so I can't help, sorry.

I raised the level of micro details by upgrading the stock Ares S 4W cable to the Ares S 8W cable.

While this did increase micro details, it also introduced sibilance which I controlled with tips.

I detailed this in an earlier post.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #170 of 276
I don't really EQ so I can't help, sorry.

I raised the level of micro details by upgrading the stock Ares S 4W cable to the Ares S 8W cable.

While this did increase micro details, it also introduced sibilance which I controlled with tips.

I detailed this in an earlier post.
Do cables make a big improvement or impact over the sound for the Diva?

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #171 of 276
It's not a huge impact and certainly less of an impact than choosing an IEM that fits your preferences in the first place.

I'm very used to the Diva's sound and I used a cable and ear tips to "fine-tune" small differences that I noticed. Even with the cable and the ear tips, I was very intentional about what I wanted to change.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #172 of 276
The cables give a small bit of improvement or impact to IEMs or headphones that are very low in output impedance, the higher the output impedance I think the less you'll notice an effect. In Diva's case because it's quite low in output impedance (only 4ohms) the effects of cables can be noticed a little better than something like say with 200 ohms of output impedance. However, note that a cable swap will never make a night and day change like for example, changing an IEM would, so always go for the IEM first and find the one that fits your preferences in sound signature. Cables are there for marginal improvements to enhance (hopefully) small parts to that IEM's sound signature to just push it that last bit towards what you want in your IEMs. If you're happy with your IEM's current sound signature and don't really have any complaints I'd say cables won't be necessary and likely you won't hear that big of a difference if any depending on what you own.

Ear tips on the other hand can sometimes change the sound for you but that's only due to the bore size/ length/ seal/ possibly material. It won't change your IEM into something completely different but a bad pairing may cause you to not be able to fully enjoy your IEMs due to oddities that arise from the bore not matching your nozzle and perhaps physically muffling parts of it. But with stock tips that comes with the IEMs I have not seen a problem like this to a ridiculous extent, yet. But you'll eventually find your preferred ear tips if you roll them enough and just stick with one XD.

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #173 of 276
Today we published our review of the DIVA 2023!

https://www.headfonia.com/elysian-acoustic-labs-diva-2023-review/

1692877223733.png

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #174 of 276
In the past month I’ve owned
Elysium OG
MEST mkiii
64 Audio Trio
Monarch mkiii
Nostalgia Camelot
Diva 2023

The Camelot is probably the best IEM I’ve ever heard. An absolute WOWZA from the first song. 2 ten mm DD which put out an incredible quality of bass. It’s big but it’s not a basshead set. Everything is perfect to my ears. Treble is wonderful but never ever piercing or sibilant. Mids are better than Elysium. Yep, I said it.

MEST mkiii is awesome. A clear step up from mkii which I loved. The bone conductions driver they’re using is really something else. It’s another one that will wow you several times during a listen. I didn’t love the cable. Not very ergonomic. Very very well made though.

Trio. I love 64’s stuff. Trio is my fave of their lineup. It’s perfect to my ear. That bass and timbre…whew. They killed it with Trio. Keeper.

Monarch mkiii did a lot of things right but the treble was just too much for me. I sold it same day I got it.

‘Elysium OG is a killer set. And I must have had a great fit because I didn’t find the bass that light at all. Mids are epic.

Diva. Maybe I’m just mesmerized by how the hell he did this with BA’s. The low end is CRAZY big and really nice. It’s right there with Trio for bass quality yet totally different. I’m not really hearing a lack of resolution that’s being talked about here. It’s not Kublai Khan or anything but it’s more than satisfying me. DEF has better bass than U12T. IMO of course and I’m a big fan of u12t.

Diva is a SICK set. Love it.
Those are fantastic sets man! Great descriptions too..

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #177 of 276
Will do, I hope they're not too bright for you!

So got the crystals today, the fit on these tips are much tighter than the JVC spiral dots, so I ended up pulling out the nozzle cap again on the right side... Wasn't happy about that... tried to reglue that part but the superglue was dried and I tried to use a needle to unclog it and ended up stabbing the needle almost completely through my index finger when it broke in half... anyways, back to the review XD.

I compared the tips to my JVC spiral dots, in terms of comfort I'd say the JVC spiral dots are superior, the Crystals are kind of grippy... while the JVC spiral dots are quite smooth while not losing on the seal department either, if anything I think the JVC has better seal overall.

Now to the sounds... Bass-wise I think the two are almost equal, JVC is a bit more "bouncy" in its bass vs the Crystals, but it's just by a small fraction. Vocals I think the JVC is actually a bit more forward than the Crystals, however the JVC does introduce a bit more shout on sibilant songs vs the Crystals if we're to compare the two. Highs the Crystals I think takes out the sibilance a little, the JVC gives more of a raw/unedited feeling and as a result is bit more sibilant. This isn't an issue on songs not compressed to hell, but you will definitely feel the extra bit more sibilance when you listening to highly compressed songs. I can't really decide which one I like better right now tbh, I still like the JVC's overall comfort of wear and transparency in sound, but I do like the Crystal's less sibilant sound as well. They're not that much different tbh, I'll give the Crystals a bit more time to see if I can deal with the grippiness and if I will miss the slight bit more vocal forwardness from the JVC.

***Edit

Ok, after listening to less sibilant songs, I feel the JVC's just superior and has less veiled in sound, I personally prefer this less filtered sound overall vs the Crystals, so I guess it's the JVCs for me still. It's less forgiving than the Crystals on highly compressed songs but it's not bad to the point where I can't listen to it. So I guess the Crystals are going back to Amazon... or actually I'll just keep it, don't feel right returning something I've already worn.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #178 of 276
So got the crystals today, the fit on these tips are much tighter than the JVC spiral dots, so I ended up pulling out the nozzle cap again on the right side... Wasn't happy about that... tried to reglue that part but the superglue was dried and I tried to use a needle to unclog it and ended up stabbing the needle almost completely through my index finger when it broke in half... anyways, back to the review XD.

I compared the tips to my JVC spiral dots, in terms of comfort I'd say the JVC spiral dots are superior, the Crystals are kind of grippy... while the JVC spiral dots are quite smooth while not losing on the seal department either, if anything I think the JVC has better seal overall.

Now to the sounds... Bass-wise I think the two are almost equal, JVC is a bit more "bouncy" in its bass vs the Crystals, but it's just by a small fraction. Vocals I think the JVC is actually a bit more forward than the Crystals, however the JVC does introduce a bit more shout on sibilant songs vs the Crystals if we're to compare the two. Highs the Crystals I think takes out the sibilance a little, the JVC gives more of a raw/unedited feeling and as a result is bit more sibilant. This isn't an issue on songs not compressed to hell, but you will definitely feel the extra bit more sibilance when you listening to highly compressed songs. I can't really decide which one I like better right now tbh, I still like the JVC's overall comfort of wear and transparency in sound, but I do like the Crystal's less sibilant sound as well. They're not that much different tbh, I'll give the Crystals a bit more time to see if I can deal with the grippiness and if I will miss the slight bit more vocal forwardness from the JVC.

***Edit

Ok, after listening to less sibilant songs, I feel the JVC's just superior and has less veiled in sound, I personally prefer this less filtered sound overall vs the Crystals, so I guess it's the JVCs for me still. It's less forgiving than the Crystals on highly compressed songs but it's not bad to the point where I can't listen to it. So I guess the Crystals are going back to Amazon... or actually I'll just keep it, don't feel right returning something I've already worn.

Ugh, I'm so sorry about your finger and the nozzle cover! Mine came off again recently as well so I had to super glue it back on.
Apparently, Lee sourced out his Diva 2023 production and the earlier batches used the wrong glue. This was rectified but early adopters had issues with the nozzle covers coming off.

Sorry the Crystals didn't work out for you. I actually ended up switching to Azla Vivids which fit similarly to the Crystals but work better for me sonically. The Crystals are now in my ever-growing ear tip collection.

I've had issues getting a seal with the JVC Spiral Dots in the past but they work so well for you that I'm curious to give them a try again.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #179 of 276
Ugh, I'm so sorry about your finger and the nozzle cover! Mine came off again recently as well so I had to super glue it back on.
Apparently, Lee sourced out his Diva 2023 production and the earlier batches used the wrong glue. This was rectified but early adopters had issues with the nozzle covers coming off.

Sorry the Crystals didn't work out for you. I actually ended up switching to Azla Vivids which fit similarly to the Crystals but work better for me sonically. The Crystals are now in my ever-growing ear tip collection.

I've had issues getting a seal with the JVC Spiral Dots in the past but they work so well for you that I'm curious to give them a try again.
I would say for the JVC Spiral dots you really gotta get the size right, they have many half sizes so you can consider a larger or smaller size if they previously didn't seal right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back