EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2,776 of 2,831

Quote:
LMAO @ lucozade, buddy!! See, I knew I could count on you man. That's why I made you - OUCH!!!!! -  treasurer and manager of the Ericp10 Fanclub...lol. Very funny man!!
beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Sounds like someone just stuck a pin in your  a......... , that's very worrying as no one has slipped me any dosh yet for one off your dolls (and i have a dozen made up and ready for shipping ) i think someone has made there own fake erip 10 doll,   
eek.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #2,777 of 2,831

Glad you found what works for you.  I am kinda married to my iPod since it has a 240GB HD and I have all my music at my fingertips, including 24 bit stuff which plays through rockbox.  I rarely use any other player, and the Arrow fits perfectly with it for me.  But then again, I never use an EQ, so I probably wouldn't benefit too much from the J3, although I am sure it is very nice.

I know my modded 5.5g sounds much better to me than my iPhone, both via line out, so I know I am a good step up from the 7th gen classic you used to have as they both share the same audio circuitry/sound from what I have read.  I actually think the Fuze via line out sounds better than the iPhone, although not via the HPO.  Anyways, glad we both have what we like!

And an additional note on the Rx vs. the Arrow: The Rx does have better treble and a little more of it when paired with the sources I have tried.  The treble is cleaner, but I still preferred the overall presentation of the Arrow as it sounded more musical with the SM3/EM3 Pro to me.  With some other IEMs the reverse was true (i.e. the Copper and e-Q7 where the Rx was amazing).

Quote:
^ Interesting comments Joe, thanks for those.  In my case, I had an iPod Classic (7th gen) and an Arrow and was using my SM3s with them until fairly recently. But, although that combination sounded great, something kept nagging away at me about the sound quality.  Out of the headphone output, the Classic sounded too fuzzy and warm with the SM3, but via the line out and the Arrow it just seemed too cold and clinical, albeit with more space in the soundstage.  I was frustrated and looking for a halfway house, and the lack of custom eq options on the iPod meant I couldnt do much about it. 

So I sold the Arrow and the Classic and got myself a J3. Now I use the SM3s ampless from the Cowon and I get that lovely compromise between detail and warmth that hits my ears' pleasure buttons.  Plus, totally unlike the iPod, the J3 is an EQ fruit machine for sound junkies - you can just keep pulling the levers and hoping for the jackpot.  It's addictive.

At lunchtime today, I got chance to borrow my colleagues Classic, knowing he had the same album on it as I did on the J3 - the utterly fantastic Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse album 'Dark Night Of The Soul'.  In an experiment, I played the lead track off the album on both his and my players, listening through the SM3s.  The difference was immediately striking. The Classic sounded comatosed, brown, wilted and bored out of its tree with the ace music it was being asked to reproduce.  The Cowon, by contrast, was like a technicolour monkey butler pumped full of caffeine, dancing around, eager to show you what it could do with its Earsonics bag of tricks.

A remarkable difference, in fact, and it absolutely vindicated my decision to break those Apple shackles. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #2,778 of 2,831
Glad I could help
regular_smile .gif
.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Quote:
Joe, I've found your posts, in general, quite balanced & useful.

Your latest post finally made me hit the send button and the SM3s have just been ordered.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2,779 of 2,831

Quote:
Glad you found what works for you.  I am kinda married to my iPod since it has a 240GB HD and I have all my music at my fingertips, including 24 bit stuff which plays through rockbox.  I rarely use any other player, and the Arrow fits perfectly with it for me.  But then again, I never use an EQ, so I probably wouldn't benefit too much from the J3, although I am sure it is very nice.

I own a Zune 120. I like having it for its big hdd along with its sound quality. Since you use your SM3/EM3 Pro with an Ipod with no EQ, I thought, if you have heard the Zune, you might have an idea about how the Zune which has no equalizer would go along with SM3 (preferably un-amped, since I don't like the idea of having to carry around too many items and cables)...

About 8 months ago, when I was trying to decide on which DAP to buy, the Zune was always being compared to the Ipod. Then I decided to buy the Zune, but judging from their rivalry in the market, I figured they must have similar sounds. That's one of the reasons I'm asking you as the non-equalized Ipod owner, apart from that I respect your opinions in general.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #2,780 of 2,831

Quote:
Nice one. Cant wait to read your impressions - any idea when you'll get them?

Don't know when exactly as I'll be away for a few days and may not be home when they get here, but I'll certainly give my impressions as soon as I am able to.

Quote:
Glad I could help
regular_smile%20.gif
.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Well, I hope so too. Ever since you started this thread I've been quite intrigued and only wished more head-fiers whose opinions I value would've taken the plunge. Yours mainly plus a handful of others' opinions finally made me pull the trigger. I always suspected that Earsonics took the 'old' UM2 & UM3X and used those to come up with a very similar looking & sounding product. Perhaps they did improve on the sound of both? I never tried the UM2, though.

My only concern now is the build quality and I wish, as I've stated a few times, the SM3 came with detachable cables. But I figured that if the cable is as good as the Westone cable, then it should last. Perhaps the SM3 MkII will have such cables as the new UM3X does.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #2,781 of 2,831

Quote:
I must excite you and turn you on in some sort of way that I find creepy. I have moved on from your jibber jabber, yet  you still like to type my name in your continual rants. Why can't you and your other two or three pals just move on? To continue this cycle of "I don't like what he says in his post, so I don't like him" is really boring, tiresome and quite elementary school-like. I thought you had us on ignore? Quit lying about it and be about it Tom. You may be on the verge of having this page shut down again. Move on dude.

You are continuing to fan the flames by becoming involved in a dispute between two Head-Fiers that doesn't directly involve you.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #2,782 of 2,831

Quote:
cn11 ... Not sure who tstarn06 is, or why you needed to post that, but nope, that's not the case for me. Most SM3 users and I don't share the same POV on the treble, I guess. However, I do know Shigzeo, in his extensive review, does point out that the SM3s are missing that sparkle in the treble area.
And there is one other person I know who has tried the SM3 (she never owned them) and agreed with that assessment as well (shared it with me privately).

The information wasn't private since I'd already posted my thoughts about the SM3 in the thread. You asked me what I thought of them in a PM, and I told you. Please let's not turn this into some kind of battle over what I said 'privately'. I thought PM meant Private Message, not Public?

Quote:

Right you are, Tom. I am fully aware of that other opinion too, because I'm the one who shipped them over for her to demo. Of course she sent me her in depth observations as well. But as I'm sure you can deduce, one more person does not nullify a 'majority'. Besides, she had fit issues as it turned out, and could only hear the full measure of their sound if she physically sat there holding them more fully in place. I'm just saying that the majority of owners are quite content with the treble, and some have said they present the top end the best of any IEM they've ever heard. I fall more into that camp myself, since nothing I've heard can touch the combination of smooth sound and incredible detail at the same time. Quite a magical combination if you ask me. 

I certainly did have fit issues, but even when I got the full sound, I still yearned for a brighter treble, which is what you already guessed before you sent them to me, so you were right yet again
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2,783 of 2,831
Enough already everyone. Let's just get this thread back on track. I used to enjoy coming here but lately theres a grudge going on and it's getting old.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get another impression kit tomorrow and do another set to have these customized. I didn't do an open mouth impression before. I still think they sound fantastic though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2,784 of 2,831

Quote:
lol @ Bennyboy, Anaxilus and luco. By the way @ luco buddy, give those disgruntled fanclub members a refund please, but deduct a 25 percent restock fee for membership card usage and privileges. That is all..
smile.gif
popcorn.gif

You approach this thread as if it's a hangout for you and your "buddies". This is not a frat house, a club, a bar or "ericp10's place". It's a discussion thread within in an on-line headphone forum and it's open to anyone who wishes to participate. Your territorial and overly chummy approach to this pastime is bizarre, with more than a touch of pathos.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2,785 of 2,831

Quote:
And an additional note on the Rx vs. the Arrow: The Rx does have better treble and a little more of it when paired with the sources I have tried.  The treble is cleaner, but I still preferred the overall presentation of the Arrow as it sounded more musical with the SM3/EM3 Pro to me.  With some other IEMs the reverse was true (i.e. the Copper and e-Q7 where the Rx was amazing).

Interesting you preferred the synergy of a warmer amp w/ warmer iems and a colder amp w/ colder iems.  I always looked at counterbalancing to get better synergy for overall sound.  Its seems you have a preference to reinforce or accentuate the signature of a particular iem instead.  Interesting.  

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,786 of 2,831

Quote:
Enough already everyone. Let's just get this thread back on track. I used to enjoy coming here but lately theres a grudge going on and it's getting old.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get another impression kit tomorrow and do another set to have these customized. I didn't do an open mouth impression before. I still think they sound fantastic though.

So you got the SM3 customed?  I plan to hit up ACS if or when the SM3 housing fails and ACS gets detachable cables.  Thats if I don't get perturbed by the SM3 and sell them straight away.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #2,787 of 2,831

Quote:
You approach this thread as if it's a hangout for you and your "buddies". This is not a frat house, a club, a bar or "ericp10's place". It's a discussion thread within in an on-line headphone forum and it's open to anyone who wishes to participate. Your territorial and overly chummy approach to this pastime is bizarre, with more than a touch of pathos.

What's Pathos?  Wasn't he a Musketeer?  
wink_face.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2,788 of 2,831

Quote:

Wait you're doing your own impressions?

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #2,789 of 2,831

Wait you're doing your own impressions?

It's easy to do. I did a better job then the audiologist did. I just shove that tip in as deep as I can comfortably go. When the audiologist did it he kinda hurt me and the impression turned out bad. They can't feel what they are doing to you. Anyway it's super easy to do yourself. My tf10s came back perfect in one try.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #2,790 of 2,831
iponderous, can you do me a favor going forward. Don't quote a certain HF member in your responses, since I have to see his posts that way. I have him and a few other related folks on ignore and when you quote them, it shows up. Thanks in advance.

Also, now that I have used the ignore function, my darn thread page is almost 70 percent ignore messages. Now that's comedy.

Hey, I was one of the first people here who bought and liked the SM3s, and even had to defend them when some folks were sort of trashing them (before they bought them). That, I believe, is true irony.

Quote:

You are continuing to fan the flames by becoming involved in a dispute between two Head-Fiers that doesn't directly involve you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back