EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2,793 of 2,831

Quote:
What's Pathos?  Wasn't he a Musketeer?  
wink_face.gif

Insert sound effect here:

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2,794 of 2,831

Quote:
It's easy to do. I did a better job then the audiologist did. I just shove that tip in as deep as I can comfortably go. When the audiologist did it he kinda hurt me and the impression turned out bad. They can't feel what they are doing to you. Anyway it's super easy to do yourself. My tf10s came back perfect in one try.

Amazing. Where do you get your impression kit and is there a certain type I would need to get?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2,795 of 2,831
iponderous, why don't you put me on ignore you pompous (fill in the blank). Better yet, I'll just mentally ignore you, jerk.

Quote:

You are continuing to fan the flames by becoming involved in a dispute between two Head-Fiers that doesn't directly involve you.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #2,796 of 2,831
Jul 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #2,797 of 2,831

Quote:
iponderous, why don't you put me on ignore you pompous (fill in the blank). Better yet, I'll just mentally ignore you, jerk.

The ericp10 default position - when outwitted, resort to lame personal abuse. It's so predictable. If I put you on my ignore list does that mean I'm spared all of your dross? Your track record shows that you're incapable of ignoring my posts or anybody else's for that matter. And where's the "happy listening" sign-off? 

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #2,798 of 2,831
I'm gonna throw in my .02 and suggest a temporary thread lock might be in order.  No point in this thread continuing since i haven't received my SM3s yet.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #2,799 of 2,831

Quote:
Amazing. Where do you get your impression kit and is there a certain type I would need to get?

the earplug store sells it. It's like 15 or 20 dollars. Although if you are lucky you can see if you can find one of those cheap 20 dollar impressions that some people seem to be able to get.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #2,800 of 2,831

Thank you @ Anaxilus.. I may suggest the same this time. Because some of these people don't know how to stay on subject apparently.
Quote:
I'm gonna throw in my .02 and suggest a temporary thread lock might be in order.  No point in this thread continuing since i haven't received my SM3s yet.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2,801 of 2,831

Quote:
the earplug store sells it. It's like 15 or 20 dollars. Although if you are lucky you can see if you can find one of those cheap 20 dollar impressions that some people seem to be able to get.

Great, found it. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/doearcaimkit.html

I've had two impressions done now by the pros and not a perfect fit unfortunately (for my JH13). If I get a custom tip done for the SM3 maybe I'll have more luck this way. If not, it's only $15. Thanks for the info.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #2,802 of 2,831

Quote:

I own a Zune 120. I like having it for its big hdd along with its sound quality. Since you use your SM3/EM3 Pro with an Ipod with no EQ, I thought, if you have heard the Zune, you might have an idea about how the Zune which has no equalizer would go along with SM3 (preferably un-amped, since I don't like the idea of having to carry around too many items and cables)...

About 8 months ago, when I was trying to decide on which DAP to buy, the Zune was always being compared to the Ipod. Then I decided to buy the Zune, but judging from their rivalry in the market, I figured they must have similar sounds. That's one of the reasons I'm asking you as the non-equalized Ipod owner, apart from that I respect your opinions in general.

I have never heard the Zune 120, but I would guess it is OK.  Ask Slaters70, as he had the combo of the Zune 80 with the SM3 for a while.  I guess you will have less options with your Zune 120 than say a J3 or rockboxed iPod.  It might take longer to get used to the SM3, as they do take some getting used to IMO (and/or burn in).

My iPod is effectively an iMod, so the line out is exceptional, but the HPO isn't.  I think the Zune is about on par with the Fuze, which is OK from the HPO with the SM3.  I do think there is an improvement via line out of the Fuze, but that is due to the Fuze line out signal path.  I am not sure if the Zune would sound any better with an amp anyways.  The real question is if you want a large capacity player and didn't want the Zune, what would you replace it with?  A 160GB iPod Classic?  iMod + amp?  For that size, there are few options.

Quote:
Well, I hope so too. Ever since you started this thread I've been quite intrigued and only wished more head-fiers whose opinions I value would've taken the plunge. Yours mainly plus a handful of others' opinions finally made me pull the trigger. I always suspected that Earsonics took the 'old' UM2 & UM3X and used those to come up with a very similar looking & sounding product. Perhaps they did improve on the sound of both? I never tried the UM2, though.

My only concern now is the build quality and I wish, as I've stated a few times, the SM3 came with detachable cables. But I figured that if the cable is as good as the Westone cable, then it should last. Perhaps the SM3 MkII will have such cables as the new UM3X does.

I still appreciate the sound quite a bit, even with the T1.  The SM3 is like the kid brother to the EM3 Pro, not quite as powerful or refined, but pretty much the same and the pedigree is easy to see.  As far as durability is concerned, my right shell came lose so instead of sending it back to France, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I pulled the shell off completely and used plastic weld to secure the shell back on.  I think it is stronger than the original with that stuff.  I think the cable is excellent, so no worries there.  I am bummed my EM3 Pro cable is oxidizing.  I guess I will go green or buy a replacement.

Quote:
Interesting you preferred the synergy of a warmer amp w/ warmer iems and a colder amp w/ colder iems.  I always looked at counterbalancing to get better synergy for overall sound.  Its seems you have a preference to reinforce or accentuate the signature of a particular iem instead.  Interesting.  

It is not a sound signature thing with the Rx and Copper/e-Q7, nor the Arrow and SM3, it is a synergy thing.  The Rx with both the Copper and e-Q7 greatly increased the space.  I thought that both of those IEMs has a rather small soundstage, but the Rx really pushed the soundstage to a new level.  They still couldn't do the things the SM3 can do, but they were closer, especially the e-Q7.  And the Copper was a warm IEM in comparison to the e-Q7.  And the Rx made the SM3 sound too cold and the liquid presentation was diminished to my ears, with the Arrow being more musical.  The sound signatures of the two amps aren't all that different IMO, but how they synergize is the biggest difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaters70

Hey, I was one of the first people here who bought and liked the SM3s, and even had to defend them when some folks were sort of trashing them (before they bought them). That, I believe, is true irony.

Irony, yes.

And please share your thoughts on the Zune with the SM3.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #2,804 of 2,831
Quote:
Thank you @ Anaxilus.. I may suggest the same this time. Because some of these people don't know how to stay on subject apparently.

Deary deary me. I don't know you, you don't know me but I've been following this thread for quite some time now and the irony of that post is ridiculous.
Just be the better man and over-look the negative comments directed at you. Sure they shouldn't be to begin with but it doesn't give you the excuse to attack them back.
It also seems a shame you need a 17 year old to point this out to you.

My personal opinion on the state of this thread is a Mod should come here, delete all the useless comments and warn the ones having a personal flame war.
I'd hope we're mature enough to be able to continue this thread as it was intended to be, a disscusion/impressions/review thread. Not a war ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back