Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #14,221 of 75,467
my pt 15 has arrived 2 days ago, but my cable still stuck in SG.
frown.gif

Wow, they shipped you a really long cable 

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #14,222 of 75,467

bummer... 
BTW, I see you have PT15 in your possession for a while, which category would you put them into? 

Probably somewhere in the lower end contender to upper end great - won't be 100% sure till I have the time to sit down for serious audition and compare it to other earbuds

+1.. !

The PT15 isn't for everyone...or all types of music. IMO **** did a really good job at their first earbud. The high resolution is very good for critical listening. The only downside - and not insignificant - is fit, or lack of. The "bud" is big and like I said before I believe it doesn't allow for it to provide a good seal over the opening of the ear canal which reduces bass. 

Edit - if you use Poweramp (the Android app) setting the EQ to BASS preset solves the problem! I've been leaving it on. For me, it yields perfection. But that shouldn't be necessary if it was tuned right...

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #14,223 of 75,467
  Just received 2 **** PT15.. Silver and black cable both ..Rose Masya and K500 !!
At las the wait is over !

I really want to hear a three way comparison from you between the Rose Masya, K500, and the TY HP-650. I have both the Masya and the HP-650, though my 650 is still in the process of burning in.

Also would love to know what you think of the xDuoo X3 for driving the HP-650? No other amp, just the X3 itself. Despite folks saying that the HP-650 is easier to drive than the TY Hi-Z 320Ohms, I think it's actually a small bit more difficult to drive than the TY 320Ohms earbud. I have to max out my S7 Edge's volume in order to make either one uncomfortably loud, but the 320 is still slightly louder at that maximum volume. This has me curious about getting a standalone DAP. However, I'm not certain what the good options are at a sub-$250 price range but I've been looking at the xDuoo X3 recently. Does it drive the HP-650 reasonably well?

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #14,225 of 75,467

The PT15 isn't for everyone...or all types of music. IMO **** did a really good job at their first earbud. The high resolution is very good for critical listening. The only downside - and not insignificant - is fit, or lack of. The "bud" is big and like I said before I believe it doesn't allow for it to provide a good seal over the opening of the ear canal which reduces bass. 

Edit - if you use Poweramp (the Android app) setting the EQ to BASS preset solves the problem! I've been leaving it on. For me, it yields perfection. But that shouldn't be necessary if it was tuned right...

Right on, I agree with you 100%.  I refuse to EQ any of my other earbuds, but with **** PT15 I make an exception.  It does need a bit of bass boost.  

I like the earbud, it does a lot well like you say, but it can be picky what types of music it likes to work with.  I also feel that getting a better seal will help.  I have tried doubling up foam covers and it seems to help a little bit.

BTW - Does anyone know if **** has an official webpage or anything?  I can't seem to find one.

--

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #14,227 of 75,467
**** Taobao
http://shop105586531.m.taobao.com/?spm=a1z5f.7632052.0.0#list

What's up with the Taobao prices? PT15 shows up as 176 Yuan (USD$26) and the 4in1 12 Yuan?

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #14,229 of 75,467
I had thrown my PT15 across the room to never be seen again after my first 10 minutes with them, but I'll give them another shot. Some people said to me to give it another shot with more EQ so I will try that out.

In the meantime my three SHE3800 have arrived! None are J-cables sadly so I'll not feel bad about recabling any of them. Time to listen and then break them open and see what they're capable of...

edit: Not sure what the impedance is on these, or the driver sensitivity. They need to be turned up as loud as some of my high impedance buds for a good volume. But oh man, what clarity, what soundstage and bass response! I am entirely a fool for passing on these for months and months. I see (hear?) some extremely promising modding material.

In an A/B comparison with my other headphones, it has much of the sound of the Qian25, but a more relaxed (same extension) treble, smoother mids and more energetic (but not really any deeper) bass. It still doesn't come quite close to my modded Qian39, but it's so good for the price. I'll have to keep one stock and bust open the other two for SCIENCE!

But yeah I am an idiot for refusing to buy these for so long.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #14,230 of 75,467
Got mine **** PT15. Finally... Not sure if I absolutely hate them or they are ok. They are so bright... So so bright, and I am not into bright sound at all. But at the same time there is something that makes them fun. I wonder if burn it will make any difference... I will give them another try tomorrow after leaving them to burn overnight. Have no problem with the fit. I am even tempted to say that I like the fit. One thing for sure the build quality is nice and I really like that wire can be swapped. I just wish they would not be that bright. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #14,231 of 75,467
  Got mine **** PT15. Finally... Not sure if I absolutely hate them or they are ok. They are so bright... So so bright, and I am not into bright sound at all. But at the same time there is something that makes them fun. I wonder if burn it will make any difference... I will give the another try tomorrow after leaving them to burn overnight. Have no problem with the fit. I am even tempted to say that I like the fit. One think for sure build quality is nice and I really like that wire can be swapped. I just wish they would not be that bright. 

They remind me of the Etymotic HF5 but in an earbud. I always liked the HF5 more than the ER4 and will probably make my own 1/4" terminated MMCX cable with something like 10 feet of wire for studio use to bring out all the flaws in the recordings. But mah oh man would they be painful to use for a daily earbud.

On another note I can confirm none of my SHE3800 sound anything like any of my Edifiers. Either it's a clone of another Edifier model or it truly is a hidden great driver in this cheapo. Man oh man am I kicking myself for refusing to buy a set for so long. I really think they will mod very well.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #14,233 of 75,467
They remind me of the Etymotic HF5 but in an earbud. I always liked the HF5 more than the ER4 and will probably make my own 1/4" terminated MMCX cable with something like 10 feet of wire for studio use to bring out all the flaws in the recordings. But mah oh man would they be painful to use for a daily earbud.

[rule]
On another note I can confirm none of my SHE3800 sound anything like any of my Edifiers. Either it's a clone of another Edifier model or it truly is a hidden great driver in this cheapo. Man oh man am I kicking myself for refusing to buy a set for so long. I really think they will mod very well.
Five years ago, she3800 already going, while there were nothing of the Edifier earbuds in manufacture :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #14,235 of 75,467
So i got a package today.  My masya and **** pt15 came!!!!  WOOT.

So I am first starting off with the pt15.  They out of the box are more focused on highs and bass is recessed,  these buds are very energetic fatigueingly so.  They are very precise and detailed.   So i said lets see how these EQ.  AND OMG DO THEY EQ LIKE BEASTS 

I boosted bass by 28 db and there is no distortion and the rest of the frequencies are just as crisp.  I believe they EQ so well because of how stiff the domes are being made of carbon means they can handle the eq with out the driver flexing and distorting.  Really guys EQ these things and be like damn BASSS.  I have the ty650 and you cant boost them to this level with out affecting the rest of the frequencies.  With the ty650 if you boost past 10db the rest of the frequencies start to sound like they are under water. 

Note the pt15s are supper revealing and sensitive.  Expect to hear every flaw. Also i find them to be very energetic and are very fatiguing sadly.  I will continue to play with eq to see if i can make them less fatiguing.  But bass lovers dont run away from these if you dont mind eqing and the high energy they bring these can achieve some serious bass and hit the low frequencies without a sweat too.   However i do not recommend these for extended listening sessions they just have too much energy.

On to the Masya.  I am kinda of shocked really as to how close they sound to the pt15 as far as initial sound signature is concerned high frequency focused very detailed and bass recessed.  But the Masyas are much less fatiguing "not as energetic" .  The masyas also EQ in the bass department very well.  With a dedicated bass driver unit they extend the lowest (bass boosted mind you) you out of all my ear buds.  They also boost to near ear bleeding bass levels they actually can have a rumble to them =D.   So far they are really good but they are a little fatiguing and highs can be a little overwhelming at times.   

Mids are similar on both being realistic sounding not warm and not cold.  Masya Actually being slightly warmer.

Highs i would say the pt15 is maybe a little more extended then the masya but i dont know if that is a good or a bad thing.  The pt15 most certainly has the most focus on highs but the masya is no slouch.  For me both have a little too much focus on the highs.  Masya is just the more tolerable out of the two.

Bass stock pretty much the same boosted the masya wins, extends lower with that dedicated bass driver.  

Both the pt15 and masya blow the water out of the ty650 in detail retrieval and resolution.  They also make the ty650 feel veiled and incompetent.  The pt15 and masya to me are very close but the pt15s are way more energetic and fatiguing.  I find listening to the masyas at a lower volume than i normally would, less fatiguing and still i can get all the juicy details.  The masya is quickly becoming my favorite ear bud.  I just hope with burn in they lose that slight fatigue they give me.

Masya wins out in slightly warmer/lush mids, better extension on the low end (boosted) and less fatiguing and slightly more tame highs over pt15.

But really if the pt15s were not so energetic they would be absolutely fantastically amazing for how cheap they are.  

These are just my initial impression will see what they are like after they burn in some.

All listening was done on a schitt stack modi multi bit and magni 2 uber.  

*note both the pt15 and masya pick up a fair amount of static floor in this setup due to how sensitive they are.  I will try my dac port slim and xd-05 tomorrow.  Peace out!

*** I lied.... I decided to plug both into my splitter and the massa Def has the more extended highs and slightly brighter. I think the energy of the pt15s threw me off a little when a bing them. My goodness though how close the two headphones are. Will see how things stand after burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back