Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #14,252 of 75,830

Everyone seems to do that...

You talkin' bout the Cypheus buds? I'm in for one as soon as I clear out some more of my earbud stock. Too bad no locals give a damn about earbuds.

I saw a guy pay 6 bucks for some horrendous looking earbuds from 7-11 today. If I had any of my spares I would have sold him a TY 32 or Monk for a fiver.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #14,253 of 75,830

You talkin' bout the Cypheus buds? I'm in for one as soon as I clear out some more of my earbud stock. Too bad no locals give a damn about earbuds.

I saw a guy pay 6 bucks for some horrendous looking earbuds from 7-11 today. If I had any of my spares I would have sold him a TY 32 or Monk for a fiver.

When I think about it, @music4mhell beats me both in buying earbuds and people's expectation of him to compare earbuds and share his impressions.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it...

By the way, I like when they hand out pocket tissue in Japan. It would be good to do that with Monk+. Hand it out to people who use generic crappy earbuds.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #14,254 of 75,830
Here are the "Dark Horse ES-E2", or 调音师 三频女王 (Sound Tuner's "Queen"), by the way (not my photos as usual, I borrowed the photos from the Easy store on Ali Express, who used to sell them):

Beautiful and open  back just like Celsus Gramo One and Erqu EQ300. If I put my fingers over the vent, the sound changes and starts to remind me a bit of old FM radio.

This makes isolation worse than regular earbuds and also more sound leaks out. If the sharp highs could tame a bit they are quite decent for the price (around $38 on Taobao, excluding shipping). Bass is quite good but mids are a bit distant and "cold" sounding.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #14,255 of 75,830

When I think about it, @music4mhell beats me both in buying earbuds and people's expectation of him to compare earbuds and share his impressions.

By the way, I like when they hand out pocket tissue in Japan. It would be good to do that with Monk+. Hand it out to people who use generic crappy earbuds.

True, i really have to spend some good time and compare at least all the high end earbuds.. i can see i have done some mistakes while ordering.. my comparison will help others not to waste money on mirages :D

Sorry buddies, but once i get my Zen black.. i will do the ultimate clash on titan with my local headfi colleague .. and will choose top 5 earbuds with full description on every aspects like FQ, Soundstage, Separation, Tonality etc etc.. some1 has to do it..

i will take the initiative .. but i need more time....just now i feel like i completed the burning time of Shozy Stardust ! so it will take some time..

but better late and precise than quick and wrong !

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #14,256 of 75,830
O_o
15056342_10155523787987846_6745214573884187464_n.jpg

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #14,261 of 75,830

Man I saw a guy in a 7-11 holding up a line trying to buy some crappy earbuds. I was sad I didn't have like 4 extra sets on my life usual  or I woulda tossed him a Monk (or TY 32 hahahaha) for like $5.

On another note, while wearing the PT15 over ear works wonderfully, god DAMN does it disconnect if a feather drops a mile away. These are getting the heck recabled out of them. I am a big MMCX hater though.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #14,262 of 75,830
  Man I saw a guy in a 7-11 holding up a line trying to buy some crappy earbuds. I was sad I didn't have like 4 extra sets on my life usual  or I woulda tossed him a Monk (or TY 32 hahahaha) for like $5.

On another note, while wearing the PT15 over ear works wonderfully, god DAMN does it disconnect if a feather drops a mile away. These are getting the heck recabled out of them. I am a big MMCX hater though.

I use mmcx cable-earphone every day - no problems. Not a single disconnect or trouble. Have you tried it with different one?

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #14,263 of 75,830
  I use mmcx cable-earphone every day - no problems. Not a single disconnect or trouble. Have you tried it with different one?

I only have one with memory wires like  this. Imagine being re-bent to hold  a PT15 in the right positive. In othe day it went from trash almost in the garbage to a true winner.

Not sure i'm i am getting used to the strong treble or if I'm losing my high frequencies early haha.

I am liking these more and more, despite the overly bright character (Which can be EQ'd away but for now I can't for more shells to arrive from Aliexpress so I can get to messing with these more. If I culd listed to these for more than 10 minutes without knocking one cable out I'd be excstatic.

Wish I still had those Linux BAX MMCX's :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #14,264 of 75,830

Yeah, i have a lot of trouble with them. 2 pins? no probem. But MMCX and I have a tendency to not get a long well. Without even thinking about it i'll rip an earbud out by  moving one of my arms.

Never a problem of 2 pin buds or hardwired buts but holy christ I can't count how many times I knocked the

Free **** PT15 shells to anyone once my project of swapping drivers is done...

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #14,265 of 75,830

Im looking for balanced type, what should get for $30 budget?
I like to every genre of music

Welcome to the place that will eat your money!

Based on your budget and what you are looking for, my suggestion would be to start with Monk+. It's only $5 but could easily be sold for $30-40. It's that good. Personally I do not think there are any earbuds around $30-40 that can beat Monk+.

EDIT: Well, perhaps Musicmaker Tomahawk, which now costs around $40. But it's not as neutral as Monk+ and it's a love/hate earbud with about 50% loving it and 50% hating it. I'm one of those who love it.

Hi Anthony, I agree with Danneq that Monk+ is a good place to start, but at the same price (~$5) I would add Qian39, SHE3800 and TY Hi-Z 32. All are a bit v-shaped but cover the whole frequency range well with good clarity and soundstage. For the same price as the RX-1 (~$22) I would favour the EO320. It has the detail of the RX-1 but with much better bass. It is cooler and more analytical than the first three I mentioned but very balanced, I find. Also it is beautifully made. If you get all of my suggestions it will cost you about $40 and provide an excellent range of sounds.

Edit: I will add that the four I suggested all have different shells so you can see which shapes and sizes fit you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back