Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #14,236 of 75,671
I had thrown my PT15 across the room to never be seen again after my first 10 minutes with them, but I'll give them another shot. Some people said to me to give it another shot with more EQ so I will try that out.

In the meantime my three SHE3800 have arrived! None are J-cables sadly so I'll not feel bad about recabling any of them. Time to listen and then break them open and see what they're capable of...

edit: Not sure what the impedance is on these, or the driver sensitivity. They need to be turned up as loud as some of my high impedance buds for a good volume. But oh man, what clarity, what soundstage and bass response! I am entirely a fool for passing on these for months and months. I see (hear?) some extremely promising modding material.

In an A/B comparison with my other headphones, it has much of the sound of the Qian25, but a more relaxed (same extension) treble, smoother mids and more energetic (but not really any deeper) bass. It still doesn't come quite close to my modded Qian39, but it's so good for the price. I'll have to keep one stock and bust open the other two for [COLOR=FF0000]SCIENCE![/COLOR]

But yeah I am an idiot for refusing to buy these for so long.
Congrats! My second three piece batch is almost at my post office :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #14,237 of 75,671
PT15 starts to corporealize after many impressions.

One thing I learned for sure, do people have different preferences!

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #14,238 of 75,671
So I am first starting off with the pt15.  They out of the box are more focused on highs and bass is recessed,  these buds are very energetic fatigueingly so.  They are very precise and detailed.   So i said lets see how these EQ.  AND OMG DO THEY EQ LIKE BEASTS 

I boosted bass by 28 db and there is no distortion and the rest of the frequencies are just as crisp.

Now you're talkin my language!!!! However this is the kind of thing I do 24/7... except apparently not when I tested my PT15 the first time. Apparently I had my EQ disabled for the last few days which explains a lot. Oops.

Anyway, put my heavy EQ back on, and found although they're not the bassiest ones I have, they are very very impressive when heavy bass EQ is applied. i commend you for not being scared to boost so much :)

But I have to admit you're correct. They do out-bass the TY 650. and the TY 650 did start distorting before the PT15. But regardless they are still bright even with a heavy amount of high frequencies cut out as much as the EQ will allow, and I am not sure if I can say they have better bass quality than the TY 650.

I would be in love with the PT15 if there was more midrange presence and it just  wasn't so bright.

P.S. My only MMCX cables were from some IEMs so they have memory wire near next to the MMCX connectors. This annoyed me at first but I quickly found they fit much more comfortably when worn over the ear, kind of like the alternate way of wearing the RX-1.

28dB? ha! try 36dB!

so thanks for posting that or  I might have never tried the **** ever again. 

.....qian39 still beats both for bass :D

[rule]
Edit: in a bass off the PT15 is second only to a stock Qian39 but gets the edge on clarity. Damn, I really overlooked these. I used some car audio subwoofer tests including a resonance test track which lots of earbuds just completely fail at. I need to kill the treble as much as possible when I use them but everything else is spot on. Like I said I wish the mids were more present. All in all, well done ****.

I am fairly positive i will end up re-shelling mine. I constantly disconnect the MMCX by accident and it is maddening. I have to admit hearing these with the bass boosted and highs cut is a whole different thing.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #14,240 of 75,671
Im looking for balanced type, what should get for $30 budget?
I like to every genre of music

Welcome to the place that will eat your money!

Based on your budget and what you are looking for, my suggestion would be to start with Monk+. It's only $5 but could easily be sold for $30-40. It's that good. Personally I do not think there are any earbuds around $30-40 that can beat Monk+.

EDIT: Well, perhaps Musicmaker Tomahawk, which now costs around $40. But it's not as neutral as Monk+ and it's a love/hate earbud with about 50% loving it and 50% hating it. I'm one of those who love it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #14,241 of 75,671
Now you're talkin my language!!!! However this is the kind of thing I do 24/7... except apparently not when I tested my PT15 the first time. Apparently I had my EQ disabled for the last few days which explains a lot. Oops.

Anyway, put my heavy EQ back on, and found although they're not the bassiest ones I have, they are very very impressive when heavy bass EQ is applied. i commend you for not being scared to boost so much
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have to admit you're correct. They do out-bass the TY 650. and the TY 650 did start distorting before the PT15. But regardless they are still bright even with a heavy amount of high frequencies cut out as much as the EQ will allow, and I am not sure if I can say they have better bass quality than the TY 650.

I would be in love with the PT15 if there was more midrange presence and it just  wasn't so bright.

P.S. My only MMCX cables were from some IEMs so they have memory wire near next to the MMCX connectors. This annoyed me at first but I quickly found they fit much more comfortably when worn over the ear, kind of like the alternate way of wearing the RX-1.

28dB? ha! try 36dB!

so thanks for posting that or  I might have never tried the **** ever again. 

.....qian39 still beats both for bass
biggrin.gif

Edit: in a bass off the PT15 is second only to a stock Qian39 but gets the edge on clarity. Damn, I really overlooked these. I used some car audio subwoofer tests including a resonance test track which lots of earbuds just completely fail at. I need to kill the treble as much as possible when I use them but everything else is spot on. Like I said I wish the mids were more present. All in all, well done ****.

I am fairly positive i will end up re-shelling mine. I constantly disconnect the MMCX by accident and it is maddening. I have to admit hearing these with the bass boosted and highs cut is a whole different thing.

Looks like a very promising bassis(=D) for modding/tuning, ain't it?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #14,242 of 75,671
Welcome to the place that will eat your money!

Based on your budget and what you are looking for, my suggestion would be to start with Monk+. It's only $5 but could easily be sold for $30-40. It's that good. Personally I do not think there are any earbuds around $30-40 that can beat Monk+.

EDIT: Well, perhaps Musicmaker Tomahawk, which now costs around $40. But it's not as neutral as Monk+ and it's a love/hate earbud with about 50% loving it and 50% hating it. I'm one of those who love it.

i honestly have some earbuds in my list like toneking tp 16, auglamour rx1, and sheafh 32, still confuse on what to get since u mentioned monk+ :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #14,243 of 75,671
  Looks like a very promising bassis(=D) for modding/tuning, ain't it?

shh.......
wink.gif

After all my hundreds - thousands? dollars spent on buying and modding earbuds I think I have a good taste of what has modding potential and what doesn't.

I have some wild ideas for the **** driver is some other shells and if all goes well I am praying we see a Cygnus killer soon.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #14,244 of 75,671
shh....... :wink:

After all my hundreds - thousands? dollars spent on buying and modding earbuds I think I have a good taste of what has modding potential and what doesn't.

I have some wild ideas for the **** driver is some other shells and if all goes well I am praying we see a Cygnus killer soon.
Looks you gotta get rid of the witnesses soon :D

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #14,245 of 75,671
i honestly have some earbuds in my list like toneking tp 16, auglamour rx1.

I haven't heard TP16 yet. I bought a pair a pair on Ali express a few weeks ago and it should arrive soon.
Had AuGlamour RX-1 and sold them. Mids are lovely. Bass is lacking a bit if you do not get a good fit (an extra pair of rubber/silicon/ rings on them will make them more secure in your ear if they are too loose). I think that Monk+ has got an overall more balanced sound than RX-1.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #14,246 of 75,671

I haven't heard TP16 yet. I bought a pair a pair on Ali express a few weeks ago and it should arrive soon.
Had AuGlamour RX-1 and sold them. Mids are lovely. Bass is lacking a bit if you do not get a good fit (an extra pair of rubber/silicon/ rings on them will make them more secure in your ear if they are too loose). I think that Monk+ has got an overall more balanced sound than RX-1.

You liked Tomahawk and you like the RX1 mids and you like sparkly treble. I think the PT15 will be good for you. let me know if the MMCX cable poses too many issues. I am working on a plan to hard wire these bad boys but it is still in R&D phases. I also aim to put it in a more resonant shell.

tbh i was going to send them to you for free but the above posters made me realize it is actually pretty bass capable. excited to see how these burn i sorry danneq.... but you have all those Cypherius coming in....

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #14,247 of 75,671

will wait for you to try haha

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #14,248 of 75,671

you like sparkly treble

Well, as long as I can keep it sparkly without becoming harsh or sharp. There is a very fine line and it might depend on synergy with the DAP I'm using.

I've got a pair of PT15 incoming as well. It was so cheap that I couldn't help myself!

Right now I'm struggling with the "Dark Horse" earbuds. They have great potential but it feels like a single driver "baby version" of Mojito. Right now it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The analogue type of sound of QFred has seduced me...

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #14,250 of 75,671

Well, as long as I can keep it sparkly without becoming harsh or sharp. There is a very fine line and it might depend on synergy with the DAP I'm using.

I've got a pair of PT15 incoming as well. It was so cheap that I couldn't help myself!

Right now I'm struggling with the "Dark Horse" earbuds. They have great potential but it feels like a single driver "baby version" of Mojito. Right now it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The analogue type of sound of QFred has seduced me...

If you have any memory cable wires around try wearing it like I do in the post over. I think it will be source dependent too. I find it too bright or harsh with no EQ on certain players but cutting the highs out hard and boosting the bass hard gives a great sound which is nice and clear throughout. something like the old extra bass Sony drivers. I am gonna have lots of fun playing with this one. And by god I am going to rewire these hopefully sooner rather than later >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back