Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 22, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #12,601 of 75,470

Last night I was listening to Hans Zimmer's Interstellar soundtrack - for the first time with the RX1. I was approaching the end of the first track when something strange happened. I started to hear a strong rattling sound from the left driver. I was afraid my RX1 have gone bad. I have tried that same track with a few other earbuds and it only happened with the RX1. It is noticeable on other Interstellar tracks especially at end when there is a deep monotonic sub-bass sound. It seems that there is something wrong with the left driver noticeable due to some kind of resonant frequency. Maybe it happens on other songs and music but it is drown out by other sound. I should maybe try to open the driver and use blutack as a dampener or perhaps it would be better to talk to Penonaudio for a replacement.

Definitely contact customer service before opening them up. 

Switch the two channels. For example if you have rca jack going to mini coming out of amp, switch left and right and notice if artifact is present on the other channel.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #12,602 of 75,470
  Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I already ordered from AliExpress so cannot buy from VE Site. I searched 100 times for that site but it never comes up in Google Search. Anyway, now I need to wait for 20 days for MP and 40 days for other earbud I ordered. Cowen Plenue D has Wolfson WM8998 which seems to be good. Let me find out more in terms of size and weight and I might try and buy it as this is available at B&H also for trying. Did you hear it? Is it having same sound signature of Nano 1st gen?

I have the Plenue D and can vouch that it is a great sounding player.  Been too long since I heard the Nano first gen for a comparison.  Keeping the topic on earbuds, the Monk + and Tomahawks sound great with the Plenue series and it's superb equalization.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #12,603 of 75,470
Switch the two channels. For example if you have rca jack going to mini coming out of amp, switch left and right and notice if artifact is present on the other channel.

Already did that. Confirmed its the left driver. The problem was probably their when I got the RX1 about 2 months ago - didn't listened to them much as I was hooked on the TY HiZ 32 at that time. Its really noticeable when there like pure bass (especially on Interstellar soundtrack). Already contacted the seller.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #12,604 of 75,470
  That's what I am planning. Will wait for earbuds to be delivered which will take 3 weeks at least. I wud even wait for the other earbud (Vrem) and see how it is. Plenue D is bigger and heavier than iPod Nano but let's see how I feel when I actually experience it. 

I think you will like the Plenue D (no line out is my only downside).  You can make nearly any earbud sound pretty darn good with the Jeteffect equalization.  A pair of Monks, Tomahawks, etc. and you have super compact and great-sounding rig.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #12,605 of 75,470
If you're looking at Plenue D might consider AK Jr. which is on sale for $300 at the A&K site. I have bad experience with it and it has a horrible laggy interface but good dynamic sound, more output power and also has a Wolfson chip. Plenue D has much better EQ & DSP (and UI) though, as well as more lower bass emphasis un-eq'd. Similar size in volume (pack of cards maybe?)) but different dimensions. No idea about it but iBasso DX50 has a wolfson chip as well.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #12,606 of 75,470
  What is the best seahf earbud (value for money wise)? I'm tempted to give them a try.

i think 320 ohm has the most unique sound, but I think vapman and other can give you more insight :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #12,608 of 75,470
ZOMBIEWINEGUM

i think 320 ohm has the most unique sound, but I think vapman and other can give you more insight :)

Hmmm...

Seahf 32 i cant easily recommend unless you like razor blade treble. Decent bass and Nice cable though.... Unique sound for sure.

150 has a fun and energic sound with pretty decent bass but rough everything else,

320 is the most unique sounding of them probably after the 32, although it is a little plain,

400 is all over the place between different revisions and is as a result more or less you get what you get...

If the 32 has at all an interesting sig to you go grab it! The 150 or 320 are better choices for a unique sound but none of them are particularly amazing. The TY variants of each are notably superior IMO.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #12,610 of 75,470
  I didn't realise the Seahf and TY buds were different! So would one of these be quite good?

I personally hate the newer version 400 as well as the 400s but the rest should be fine. I thought the 400S was terrible.
Just sayin' I prefer the Qian39 to all Seahf and most TY models though.... :wink:
as far as i can tell the Green Ting sounds like the newer 320/400 except a little better bass and a little smoother sound.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #12,611 of 75,470

...and no, they are not IEM. They are earbuds
wink.gif

sorry, i was sleepy, i mean earbud.
they are the same right? BK = Stardust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back