DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 13, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #13,141 of 14,084
I just tried my DX90 with my iPad Air (First version, not the Air 2)  My iPad is on IOS version 9.0.2 & my DX90 is on Firmware V2.2.0.

My iPad gave a message saying that the DX90 was not supported.  Music only play through the IPad speaker.  Using an Apple Camera Connector (Lighting version)

I'll try again after I download the DX90 version 2.3.0 firmware.

My ibasso dx90 arrived today!

And after updating fw to 2.3, I got it to work as USB dac with my iPad 3 (iOS 8.41). I'm using a Chinese cck/USB hub (unpowered) to connect it. In advanced settings of the dx90, Mac/Linux USB dac is selected. Streaming Apple Music and playing stored songs works!

Wish list for improvements (unlikely to come since dx90 is discontinued): when in USB dac mode, display kHz and bits of received data. Also, option to turn on/off USB charging when in dac mode (or is it always off which would be the preferred option when connected to an iPad/iPhone?). Support 192khz/24 bit in Mac USB mode.

First impression of dx90: sound quality is airier, less warm/cleaner, more detailed, perhaps slightly less bass when compared to fiio x3 on newest firmware. Overall, an improvement in sq compared to x3. But this is just from listening for 2-3 hours.

On the bad side: random short drop outs/ fade in/fade outs of a fraction of a second when playing music from a Samsung evo micro sdxc card (class 10) on old fw 2.2. The same card works perfectly in the fiio x3. File format mostly alac. I've already found posts of other people with this problem and will try solution by lurker in post#9032 on the main thread - hope this will work.
Also, the headphone jack is very tight. Inserting the rather thick connector of my denon ahd 2000 feels almost like breaking something.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #13,142 of 14,084
My ibasso dx90 arrived today!

And after updating fw to 2.3, I got it to work as USB dac with my iPad 3 (iOS 8.41). I'm using a Chinese cck/USB hub (unpowered) to connect it. In advanced settings of the dx90, Mac/Linux USB dac is selected. Streaming Apple Music and playing stored songs works!

Wish list for improvements (unlikely to come since dx90 is discontinued): when in USB dac mode, display kHz and bits of received data. Also, option to turn on/off USB charging when in dac mode (or is it always off which would be the preferred option when connected to an iPad/iPhone?). Support 192khz/24 bit in Mac USB mode.

First impression of dx90: sound quality is airier, less warm/cleaner, more detailed, perhaps slightly less bass when compared to fiio x3 on newest firmware. Overall, an improvement in sq compared to x3. But this is just from listening for 2-3 hours.

On the bad side: random short drop outs/ fade in/fade outs of a fraction of a second when playing music from a Samsung evo micro sdxc card (class 10) on old fw 2.2. The same card works perfectly in the fiio x3. File format mostly alac. I've already found posts of other people with this problem and will try solution by lurker in post#9032 on the main thread - hope this will work.
Also, the headphone jack is very tight. Inserting the rather thick connector of my denon ahd 2000 feels almost like breaking something.
Glad you're enjoying your DX90. I got mine more than a year ago and its sound quality still amazes me. The solution does work for me - I usually re-transfer my songs once the random fade-in/outs become annoying prevalent. And yes, having owned the DX50 before the DX90's headphone jack feels a lot tighter but more robust than the former's :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #13,144 of 14,084
Some stupid questions from a newbie to the dx90 (coming from a fiio x3):

1. Is there something like a setting for "next folder play"? Fiio added that in their final x3 firmware following many user requests. When in folder view and playing an album, the dx90 stops at the end. It would be great if it could just play the next album (next folder).

2. Some of my embedded album covers are not shown. They are displayed in iTunes and on the fiio x3. File type is alac. Is there a fix for that?

3. Can the dx90 play m3u playlists created on a pc without having to manually edit them (this was added as a feature in the last fiio x3 firmware)?

Following lurkers advice (post #9032), I can now play songs from micro sd card without fade ins/fade outs. Looks like the read ahead buffer of the dx90 is relatively small.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #13,145 of 14,084
Some stupid questions from a newbie to the dx90 (coming from a fiio x3):

1. Is there something like a setting for "next folder play"? Fiio added that in their final x3 firmware following many user requests. When in folder view and playing an album, the dx90 stops at the end. It would be great if it could just play the next album (next folder).

2. Some of my embedded album covers are not shown. They are displayed in iTunes and on the fiio x3. File type is alac. Is there a fix for that?

3. Can the dx90 play m3u playlists created on a pc without having to manually edit them (this was added as a feature in the last fiio x3 firmware)?

Following lurkers advice (post #9032), I can now play songs from micro sd card without fade ins/fade outs. Looks like the read ahead buffer of the dx90 is relatively small.

1. I don't think it has that function.

2. AFAIK DX90 not support .png embedded by MP3Tag, are you sure all your cover is .JPEG?

3. No. DX90's playlist management is the worst. You can't create playlist via PC program like Foobar.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #13,146 of 14,084
after using dx90 for a period of time, i still cannot accept the failures on the software side, might sell off this even though hardware is top notch, the software is rock bottom fail

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #13,147 of 14,084
I don't have any issues with the software. Everything works for me. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #13,148 of 14,084
I don't have any issues with the software. Everything works for me. 

gapless is not smooth
startup is slow
line out and headphone out uses same volume control so i have to change the volume everytime i change from hp to car audio
usb dac don't work out of the box, instead need install mango interface driver of some sort

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #13,149 of 14,084
1. I don't think it has that function.

2. AFAIK DX90 not support .png embedded by MP3Tag, are you sure all your cover is .JPEG?

3. No. DX90's playlist management is the worst. You can't create playlist via PC program like Foobar.

Well, Fiio also needed a long time to iron out all fw bugs and include user wishes. It would be great if ibasso also released a final firmware that included m3u playlists, next folder play, perhaps better hi res dac support for Mac/Linux, 64 bit drivers for Windows. Alas, they have stopped production of dx90 apparently. I don't quite understand why as their new model is not on the market yet. I think they could have reduced the price slightly and could have continued to sell the dx90. So we will see how many resources they will still make available for dx90 fw development. The sound is really good at least.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #13,150 of 14,084
My works really well for what it is. I only use it as a DAP, I power it on, push play and stick it in my pocket. I might by the only one but I really do not care if my album art shows up I really don't care about the screen resolution I just care about how it sounds and that it does not freeze, my gapless work fine to.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #13,151 of 14,084
My works really well for what it is. I only use it as a DAP, I power it on, push play and stick it in my pocket. I might by the only one but I really do not care if my album art shows up I really don't care about the screen resolution I just care about how it sounds and that it does not freeze, my gapless work fine to.

Same for me :)

What matters is sound quality, nothing else 

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #13,152 of 14,084

Same for me :)

What matters is sound quality, nothing else 

Same for me. I have no problem with Windows 64 bits, no gapless problem. It works and the sound is the reason I bought it.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #13,154 of 14,084

"Stick it in my pocket"... But without good m3u playlist support and no next folder play option, I have to get it out after every album to select a new one to play...maybe I should try the rockbox fw. But does rockbox have the same sound signature as 2.3 fw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back