DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #13,128 of 14,084
I have something insanely cool to report.  Just got my iPhone 6S.  I tried this before on the my old iPhone 5S but it did not work.  But with this phone it does work.  Could be just that fact that I updated to iOS 9.1 beta 2 as well.  But its either the new beta or new iPhone 6S that allows me to use the DX90 as a DAC for the iPhone.

Only tested Onkyo and Tidal apps so far.  I don't have spotify subscription.  But very cool.  Changing volume on the phone when music is playing is buggy.  But you just need to turn it up first before you hit play.  Then use the volume on the DX90 to adjust the cans.

Tested so far to be working with iPhone 6S on iOS9.1b2 with camera kit to Micro USB cable DX90 set to DAC mode (Linus/Mac).

How is iPhone 6s stock vs dx90?
If the IEM is efficient enough, is the 6s good enough?
I'm thinking of cutting weigh when I'm commuting

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #13,129 of 14,084
How is iPhone 6s stock vs dx90?
If the IEM is efficient enough, is the 6s good enough?
I'm thinking of cutting weigh when I'm commuting

The stock iphone 6s is simply not a very good audio player. There has been reports that hardware wise, it wasn't made as well as previous iphones. The shielding just isn't very good.

On sensitive IEMs, simply just running the app switcher will produce an audible buzz sound. While it's not loud, it is certainly enough to be distracting. If you are curious about this subject, google iphone 6s buzzing sound. I'm sure something will come up.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #13,130 of 14,084
  Hey guys, I didn't come here for a long time 

No new firmware at the horizon ? 

Welcome back, guy with the BurnOut Paradise car (Rossolini Tempesta) in his profile picture. 
biggrin.gif

No new firmware in sight, unfortunately. But a new DAP, the DX80, which has got its own thread.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #13,131 of 14,084
The stock iphone 6s is simply not a very good audio player. There has been reports that hardware wise, it wasn't made as well as previous iphones. The shielding just isn't very good.

On sensitive IEMs, simply just running the app switcher will produce an audible buzz sound. While it's not loud, it is certainly enough to be distracting. If you are curious about this subject, google iphone 6s buzzing sound. I'm sure something will come up.

Serious bummer! Hope Apple fixes that in subsequent batches...

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #13,132 of 14,084
Serious bummer! Hope Apple fixes that in subsequent batches...

Well, even if they fix that, in my opinion a dedicated dap such as the dx90 will almost certainly sound better(technically) than a mobile phone that plays music.

If you're on the fence on the dx90 due to its footprint, it doesn't really weight anything. And having a separate device for your music will certainly help your smartphone's battery stretch a longer mile for your day.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #13,134 of 14,084
Totally agree about smartphone vs. dedicated music player. I'm just disappointed that the new iPhones have audible buzz. I don't get that with my 5s.

FYI, it only happens this bad on the s versions of the iPhone 6. And it's only audible with really sensitive iem.

In other versions of iPhones, there is still the buzz but is not as audible. Even with sensitive iem. It seems the iPhone 6s and it's plus sized sister didn't shield it's processor as well as the previous iPhones. Anytime the processor starts running, you can hear that buzz. I'm certainly detecting the buzz using my se846.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #13,136 of 14,084
My finding so far is that 6S is no better than the 5S at driving various sets of cans. But in the car using iPhone 6s as source through 3.5mm it sounds great very clear and good separation. Sounds better in the car than the dx90 and the 5S. The dx90 voltage is to high on line out for cars that only accept 1v AUX. It sounds muffled and missing mids at times. But there is a big gap on how the 5s and 6s sound in the car as source. I think the intentionally focused improvements for line out. I never heard an amped source sound so good.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #13,138 of 14,084

I just tried my DX90 with my iPad Air (First version, not the Air 2)  My iPad is on IOS version 9.0.2 & my DX90 is on Firmware V2.2.0.

My iPad gave a message saying that the DX90 was not supported.  Music only play through the IPad speaker.  Using an Apple Camera Connector (Lighting version)

I'll try again after I download the DX90 version 2.3.0 firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back