DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #4,966 of 14,084

Let it burn in, it improves a lot. 

Ive burned it in for 75 hours so far and still going, but I can tell the sounds not going change much, just become more refined, the first 25 hours burn in made a big difference, after that its been pretty much the same. I will keep burning till 400 hours though, lol...

I found that on some sophisticated equipment the big changes came at 400 hrs, 600 hrs, and again at 800 hrs.  When it happens it is amazing -- like throwing a switch that turns on the SQ.

May 15, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #4,967 of 14,084
Ive burned it in for 75 hours so far and still going, but I can tell the sounds not going change much, just become more refined, the first 25 hours burn in made a big difference, after that its been pretty much the same. I will keep burning till 400 hours though, lol...

I found the same after about 25 hours. I'd like to think that it will improve further as time progresses but I was really happy with the sound out of the box.

BTW, the ZX1 must have an exceptional soundstage if the DX90 is limited by comparison. That's the very thing that is impressing me most about the DX90 ATM.

May 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #4,968 of 14,084
Hi Guys

From my last post i got some good advise from a few helpful people here at headfi, wanted a good punchy bassy and comfy headphone to pair with the dx90.

The thing is here in INDIA you just cant audition these cans. I can only purchase. So all i have is you people and a few reviews online.

I would love to own a beyerdynamic. Which one would be the best @ price/ performance in the DT series to pair with the DX90. Some colour and bass is a welcome.
And i did own a M50 before. Was mediocre to me.

So guys please do share your views.

You people make this world a better place by aquainting people to what/how music is supposed to be heard.

To move in search of the perfect sound is addictive and utterly rewarding.

Last night my jaw started to pain cause of the grin ( the unit sounds bloody awsome ) and the total play was for 6 hrs straight with the GR07 classics.

MY DX90 is all cause of you people.
So thanks.

May 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4,969 of 14,084
Hi Guys

From my last post i got some good advise from a few helpful people here at headfi, wanted a good punchy bassy and comfy headphone to pair with the dx90.

The thing is here in INDIA you just cant audition these cans. I can only purchase. So all i have is you people and a few reviews online.

I would love to own a beyerdynamic. Which one would be the best @ price/ performance in the DT series to pair with the DX90. Some colour and bass is a welcome.

You people make this world a better place by aquainting people to what/how music is supposed to be heard.

Last night my jaw started to pain cause of the grin ( the unit sounds bloody awsome ) and the total play was for 6 hrs straight with the GR07 classics.

So thanks.

I can't say much about BeyerDynamic phones but I can say that to date my best headphones have been the Sennheiser HD600 (the HD650 is also along the same line). The DX90 makes them shine and right now if I am thinking of upgrading it's most likely to be phones that cost 2 to 3 times as much. So for a used pair going for the 300 US mark, it's pretty economical. Like you, we have no ability to test audiophile grade headphones so we have to rely on the kind head-fi user reviews. Good luck in your trek to SQ nirvana, sorry for your wallet.

May 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #4,970 of 14,084
Hi Guys

So thanks.

Philips X1, if you could use the open headphones.
The bass presence is unbelievable for such an open phones.

May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #4,971 of 14,084
Hi Guys

So thanks.

I have the flagship (T1) and the entry level (DT235) of Beyers. T1 sounds good directly out of T1, bass is surprisingly full but does not have the the same weight when you have an external amp (O2). The mids and preble is detailed and clear. So far I have not found a track that would sound distorted directly out of T1. In short you can enjoy it both with and without amp. But if you like a heavy bass then T1 will definitely need an amp.

DT-235 on the other have shares almost the same bass body with the T1 but slightly recessed or rolled off highs compared to T1. But for the price it can beat headphone at least 3 times it's price. So if you can get it for cheap do not hesitate. It doesn't sound like a cheap can. I tried other cans at the same price range or even twice as much from Philips, TDK, Sony, Pioneer etc and they all sound like tin cans or all bass and can barely hear the mids and treble. But don't expect too much on the build looks. Build quality is decent. It can be a good way to check if you would like the tonality and texture (generally called house sound) of Beyer cans without breaking the bank.

I don't know how much bass you need but the cans they have with the most bass is the DT990 and the Custom One Pro. The Custom One Pro has 4 levels of bass that is selectable by a switch. Perhaps narrow your search between the 2.

I am actually getting my third Beyer which is the DT250. It has a flat/neutral response curve which may not interest you.

May 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #4,972 of 14,084
If you want BASS and comfort, then the ATH-ES10 is hard to beat. My personal choice is DT1350 but not comfy and flat signature.

May 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4,973 of 14,084
Hi Guys

So thanks.

Check out the NAD VISO HP50. Bloody fantastic headphones for 300 bucks new. Have them since a few months and they went from good to awesome after  a couple hundred hours burn in. They have a warm signature and sound terrific with my hi res recordings thru the sony pha1. Not availabe in India AFAIK, so if some distant cousin or yours is willing to bring them in from amazon usa......

May 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #4,974 of 14,084
I truly can confirm, the HP50 and DX90 are indeed a very good combination
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4,975 of 14,084
As for rewarding combos:

I have used the DX90 with my HD 600, VModa M100 and Focal Spirit Classic.

I have always liked the HD 600. Great detail and tonal balance. But lacking bass somehow.

At the end of last year I bought some VModa for portable use. Good but I disliked its bass boost. To much for me...

Finally I got myself the Focal. And bingo, here we go. Detail, musicality and sufficient bass. A great hp paired with the DX90.
Sold my VModa meanwhile...

Note 3 tapatalking....

May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4,977 of 14,084
Thanks guys

Amazing response.
Will definately check out all that is mentioned.

Thank you so much

May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4,978 of 14,084
IMO the HP50 outperforms the B&W P5 easily...and besides, the HP50 plays actually in a class above...and is a circum aural design vs. a supra aural from the P5.
A friend of mine has the P5 and tbh, they're fun to listen to...but that's it. The HP50 on the other hand has tighter, punchier low FQ's, a better presence region and quite crisp and defined treble. The soundstage is also truly awsome as well as the overall FQ response which is fairly neutral with a hint towards a cosy warmness (which you surely like if you appreciated your P5). And not to forget, the HP50 is really easy to drive; I use only the low gain setting on the DX90. So, in your case, I think it would be definitely a change for the better.

May 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,979 of 14,084
  IMO the HP50 outperforms the B&W P5 easily...and besides, the HP50 plays actually in a class above...and is a circum aural design vs. a supra aural from the P5.
A friend of mine has the P5 and tbh, they're fun to listen to...but that's it. The HP50 on the other hand has tighter, punchier low FQ's, a better presence region and quite crisp and defined treble. The soundstage is also truly awsome as well as the overall FQ response. And not to forget, the HP50 is really easy to drive; I use only the low gain setting on the DX90. So, in your case, I think it would be definitely a change for the better.

Thanks. Question is only how they compete with the 8.a. I like the HD600 but I'm missing the massive yet defined bass from the 8.A. IMHO, The 8.A lacks the treble of e.g. the HD 600 or the HD530 II.

May 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,980 of 14,084
You know I'm liking a lot of what I am hearing about this unit! It might finally be time for me to sell my hm801 and upgraded to something better! The issue is ofc going from the Dinosaur UI of the HM801 which just WORKS fantastically! too... something like the DX90 which kinda doesn't wrk yet ;3

I might wait till fall and just buy the DX90 out right and compare it t my hm801 upfront! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back