Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2,358 of 3,012
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I had my mind almost set on the Titan 1, but now that you mentioned the DN1K I'm not so sure anymore! They're almost double the price (brand new) but if it's worth it, I can spend a little more. I've invested more in my listening experience with full size headphones than with ear buds or IEMs, mostly because of durability concerns, but maybe it's time to step up and get a decent pair that will last more than a few months.

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,359 of 3,012
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I had my mind almost set on the Titan 1, but now that you mentioned the DN1K I'm not so sure anymore! They're almost double the price (brand new) but if it's worth it, I can spend a little more. I've invested more in my listening experience with full size headphones than with ear buds or IEMs, mostly because of durability concerns, but maybe it's time to step up and get a decent pair that will last more than a few months.

This is why I'm waiting to hear more about the DN-2002.

It seems Dunu has taken care of the sibilance issues with the Titan 1es/3/5 so I'm hoping that follows onto the new hybrids...and with 2 dynamics drivers and 2 BA's I'm hoping for a warm punch of bass, forward mids and nice detailed highs.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,360 of 3,012

It seems Dunu has taken care of the sibilance issues with the Titan 1es/3/5 so I'm hoping that follows onto the new hybrids...and with 2 dynamics drivers and 2 BA's I'm hoping for a warm punch of bass, forward mids and nice detailed highs.

You own any dunu? If so, amp it...provided you find the right match.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2,361 of 3,012
I listened to both the T3 and the T5 last night thanks to nmatheis and I can definitely add my vote for the T3 over the T5.

:beerchug:

But the other guy liked T5 :wink_face:

Sibilance hasn't been an issue for me with T3 or T5.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #2,363 of 3,012

Sibilance hasn't been an issue for me with T3 or T5.

Yeah but reviews for the T1, 1000, 2000(J) say a con is slight sibilance. I'm hoping that the lack of it on the T3/5 carry over to the new hybrids.

Gotcha. Misread that. Sibilance wasn't an issue for me with DN1K, either. It was hot just above the sibilance range. I think DN2K(J) tried to address that and ended up introducing sibilance.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #2,364 of 3,012
No sibilance for me with the DN2KJ. So far have only seen a few talking about it being sibilant - and that will depend on tips, fit and your music choices

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,365 of 3,012
No sibilance for me with the DN2KJ. So far have only seen a few talking about it being sibilant - and that will depend on tips, fit and your music choices

Thanks for confirming that @Brooko. Did you get sibilance with DN1K, and are you having any issues with T3 or T5? I haven't noticed anything outside of known sibilance introduced during recording.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #2,366 of 3,012
  Thanks for confirming that @Brooko. Did you get sibilance with DN1K, and are you having any issues with T3 or T5? I haven't noticed anything outside of known sibilance introduced during recording.

Source X3ii > E11K (no bass boost, low gain)
Test tracks:
  1. Adele "Turning Tables" (there is sibilance in the track from the Live at Royal Albert Hall album)
  2. Beth Hart "Lifts You Up" (from Live at Paradiso album) - very hotly mastered and can exhibit sibilance if peaks are really bad.

DUNU DN1K - generic foam tips (non comply)
With both tracks, I can hear the esses - and yes there is slight sibilance coming through - but not enough to make me wince, or spoil the enjoyment of either track.

Titan 1 - Sony Isolation Tips
Brighter than the DN1K and esses are slightly more noticeable. But again - non-grating, and although noticeable, it is slight and for me, pretty benign.

Titan 5 - Sony Isolation Tips
Smoother than the DN1K and T1.  Only very slight signs of any sibilance - really pleasant actually.  The more I listen to the 5 the more I like them.

Titan 3 - Sony Isolation Tips
Sits between S5 and T1.  Still very smooth.  Esses again are noticeable - but unobtrusive.

DN2KJ - Silicone tip with foam inner (similar to the Sony Isolation tips)
Probably brightest of all of the above. Esses are noticeable - and has tendency more towards sibilance than the others.  If I turn the volume up - sibilance is far more noticeable, bt at my normal listening level, again it does not bother me.

Now remember with above:
  1. I have a high tolerance for treble.
  2. I prefer a bump in the upper mids anyway
  3. The tracks I was listening to have definite sibilance in the mastering - with most of my library, all of the above mentioned are pretty much sibilance free.
  4. I am a relatively low volume listener.  My normal listening level is around 70 dB or lower.

YMMV if:
  1. You are sensitive to treble
  2. You don't get a good seal (all the tips I use have high seal properties)
  3. Your music has a tendency toward poor mastering (I've seen this with some metal), or overly hot mastering.  As an example, Luke had an Arne Brun track which he said the DN2KJ was very sibilant with him.  I tested it - and he was right.  But that track itself is poorly mastered (producer should have been shot).
  4. You tend to listen at high volumes.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,367 of 3,012

Totally worth it in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,369 of 3,012
Oct 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #2,370 of 3,012
@DJScope: Thanks!

Still haven't made it to bed...

BTW, Uncle H20 might be interested in checking out the FLC 8S 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back