Does the devil wear Prada...or Phiaton?
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 179
 ​
How hip are headphones? Well, in an unusual turn, it seems to me that a major fashion house may have been inspired by a very hip headphone house. ChipChick also caught news of Prada's new headphones ($595) at Esquire, and stated that it looked a lot like the Bose OE2. I think Prada's piece looks a lot more like Phiaton's PS320 ($159). Perhaps the two companies have a deal?

To be clear, I'm not saying right now that they're the same headphone, only that they look very similar to me. Given that Phiaton's PS320 is a dual-driver design, it would be very telling if Prada touts theirs as the same.

(Click here to see the new Prada headphone as it appears on Esquire's gift guide.)

It's interesting to me that headphones have never been more fashionable than now (and getting more so by the day); but I don't see it as a simple fad, as I think it's driven largely by the fact that we're pretty much all now carrying media players with us everywhere we go (in the form of media-capable mobile phones).

My fellow Head-Fi'ers, I always considered us more headphone geeks, but I guess now we're also hip.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 179
Sure looks like a straight re-badge to me (at least externally). Interesting. 

Wish I could slap Prada on the things I make, and bump the price 300%

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 179
Either they're in cooperation with each other, like Sennheiser and Adidas, or we're going to see some lawsuits fly. And if the former is the case, marketing $200 headphones for $600 is probably the biggest ripoff since the Beats Pro Detox, a $100 paintjob on the already-overpriced Beats Pro.

As for 'hipness', I think that between the Precide Ergo, TakeT H2 and AKG K1000, us Head-Fiers may still have a long way to go.
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 179
yup nearly exactly the same, wow

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 179
Prada is now into headphones..................somebody pinch me I think I'm having a nightmare
blink.gif

Why do I see a bunch of rich people running around flashing their Prada cans telling everyone because it's a Prada its the best sounding headphone money can buy. The Beats people are going to be livid. Jude any idea if these cans actually sound good?

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #11 of 179

Quote:
I might even buy these, just to convince the beat-owners that I am now superior.

They might even get me laid if I wear them to the clubs!

or mugged

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 179
I bet they smell great. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 179
Oh great, now I've got this mental image of Meryl Street walking around pimpin' out Prada headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back