Does the devil wear Prada...or Phiaton?
Nov 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #31 of 179

Quote:

Imagine if they did. Beats plus 300% markup equals...

I can imagine taking them to the till. "That'll be £837 my good sir". If these Prada 'phones sell I'll be amazed... Wait. They've already done it with Sony Ericsson.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 179
It's just a fashion statement like sunglasses. People believe it shows the lifestyle they want to make you believe they live. It's basic consumerism at it's best. The higher the price the better they will sell. Some folks will not but them if the price is too low. The opposite of really what common sense tells you.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #34 of 179

Quote:
Never underestimate the stupidity of the uninformed consumer.

all the truth in one statement almost brings me to tears, during lunch i was using my Grado SR80i's when my friend walks up to me saying maybe i can toss out those ancient headphones for a pair of Beats. By this point I was tempted to just bash my head against the desk repeatedly as I'd given up on reasoning with those who don't appreciate good sound.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #35 of 179

Quote:
all the truth in one statement almost brings me to tears, during lunch i was using my Grado SR80i's when my friend walks up to me saying maybe i can toss out those ancient headphones for a pair of Beats. By this point I was tempted to just bash my head against the desk repeatedly as I'd given up on reasoning with those who don't appreciate good sound.

I've had similar run-ins with people on campus. Despite the grado's being open, i wear them out and about. My friend asks me why my headphones look so old and dated, and i inform him otherwise. He still insists that this is the 21st century and that our technology should look accordingly. Apparently to the mainstream market, Looks>Quality

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #36 of 179

Quote:
I've had similar run-ins with people on campus. Despite the grado's being open, i wear them out and about. My friend asks me why my headphones look so old and dated, and i inform him otherwise. He still insists that this is the 21st century and that our technology should look accordingly. Apparently to the mainstream market, Looks>Quality

It is run-ins like these that really breaks my heart, and if anything, it just shows how affective 21st century marketing strategies are. btw show your friend the HD 800's and I'm sure he will think otherwise.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #37 of 179

Quote:

It is run-ins like these that really breaks my heart, and if anything, it just shows how affective 21st century marketing strategies are. btw show your friend the HD 800's and I'm sure he will think otherwise.

Yeah, I was just talking in another thread and someone mentioned how headphones have done little to improve since sennheiser debuted their open cans. I'd gladly show off the 800's... if i owned them. I currently only own the grado sr80i's, but i want a ~200 USD closed can. I feel like I can't find anything that is portable, isolates well and has a detachable cable.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #38 of 179

Quote:
Yeah, I was just talking in another thread and someone mentioned how headphones have done little to improve since sennheiser debuted their open cans. I'd gladly show off the 800's... if i owned them. I currently only own the grado sr80i's, but i want a ~200 USD closed can. I feel like I can't find anything that is portable, isolates well and has a detachable cable.

Wouldn't we all if we owned a pair of HD 800's

SR80i's are amazing, they pretty much match up with most $150 closed cans sonically. Besides the comfort and the distortion, I would probably buy it if it cost $150.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #39 of 179

Quote:
 Meryl Street

Is that near 5th Avenue? 
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 179

V-Moda M80, HD 25-1 II (I'd call it replaceable rather than detachable), Ultrasone Pro Series (Big but portable), HDJ 2000 (on sale).

There's some great options for you out there especially with christmas sales coming up.

Quote:

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #43 of 179

There's some great options for you out there especially with christmas sales coming up.

And you Americans get your ridiculous black Friday sales. Sigh, up here we're happy if our sale prices match your regular pricing... 

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #44 of 179

Quote:
And you Americans get your ridiculous black Friday sales. Sigh, up here we're happy if our sale prices match your regular pricing... 

If only, if only, remember when the loonie was above the american dollar? Those would have been good times if I was closer to the boarder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back