DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3
Jan 20, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #455 of 678
  Came up with this. Not even close to @Mr Trev's intuitive design but its usable.
Inspiration: Good old popup (context) menus

Very nice. I tried doing something similar, looked way too cluttered and the font I chose was hard to read (actually thinking back, I believe I posted a screen). Yours turned out much better.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #456 of 678
  has this been added to your download or just what your working on?

Nope this has not been added yet.

Very nice. I tried doing something similar, looked way too cluttered and the font I chose was hard to read (actually thinking back, I believe I posted a screen). Yours turned out much better.

It is usable but the positioning is kinda naive.
If the FiiO devs can be pursuaded into modifying the rendering region, I guess all of us modders will benefit greatly.
Here's an illustration:

The grey area is the region to which the rendering of the quick menu images is currently restricted to.
We can use the entire width and height of this region but then center alignment won't be possible.
If this region is extended to the green area, we can use full size images for the quick menu just like we do with the normal menus like the main menu, categories menu, etc.
This can solve a lot of "cramped layout" related issues.
Also, I think if the entire screen can be utilized, your arc-like menu concept will flow nicely. It won't seem as if the arc appears and disappears suddenly like you said.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #457 of 678
  Nope this has not been added yet.

It is usable but the positioning is kinda naive.
If the FiiO devs can be pursuaded into modifying the rendering region, I guess all of us modders will benefit greatly.
Here's an illustration:

The grey area is the region to which the rendering of the quick menu images is currently restricted to.
We can use the entire width and height of this region but then center alignment won't be possible.
If this region is extended to the green area, we can use full size images for the quick menu just like we do with the normal menus like the main menu, categories menu, etc.
This can solve a lot of "cramped layout" related issues.
Also, I think if the entire screen can be utilized, your arc-like menu concept will flow nicely. It won't seem as if the arc appears and disappears suddenly like you said.

Having a full screen would open up a lot of possibilities. Using a solid bkg. like you did definitely helps with the readability. Another idea I had was to map the icons onto a short cylinder and spin it like a slot machine wheel.

Just got around to d/ling and dissecting your theme. Can't believe the answer to different style themes in 1 package was so simple. Never occurred to me to just throw away the coords and go full screen. Since my old list themes have to be redone from scratch because of the fw changes (plus I had a semi-updated version, can't find it now), I'll use this method and toss the icon & list together like you did. Just gotta get off my lazy butt and start working on it. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #458 of 678
  Having a full screen would open up a lot of possibilities. Using a solid bkg. like you did definitely helps with the readability. Another idea I had was to map the icons onto a short cylinder and spin it like a slot machine wheel.

Just got around to d/ling and dissecting your theme. Can't believe the answer to different style themes in 1 package was so simple. Never occurred to me to just throw away the coords and go full screen. Since my old list themes have to be redone from scratch because of the fw changes (plus I had a semi-updated version, can't find it now), I'll use this method and toss the icon & list together like you did. Just gotta get off my lazy butt and start working on it. 

The slot machine wheel thing had occured to me but never tried it out. I thought of doing a shadow border at the top and bottom as if a thin film with the menu items printed on it came out of a sliced opening in the background and disappeared into another. Anyways that's too much imagery to deal with right now :p.
Hope to see something innovative from you just like the original list-based themes you made.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #460 of 678
  My take on a quick menu

Nicely done
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #462 of 678
I, in no way, have the talent that some of you bring to this thread.  I'm impressed constantly by what is created in this thread.  I have a request, that maybe someone can fulfill for me.  I've noticed that most, if not all of the custom firmware's posted, use the file name to display song title.  I was wondering if it was possible to use the ID3 tag to display song title.  That way there's no # in front of the song name, and no, in my case, .flac tag on the end.  Is it possible?  Thank you for all your hard work, and keep it up.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #464 of 678
 Thanks. I uploaded my theme with redesigned quick menu.

Legend!

Could you reply with the updated link please, so everyone doesn't go flicking back lots of pages. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #465 of 678
  I, in no way, have the talent that some of you bring to this thread.  I'm impressed constantly by what is created in this thread.  I have a request, that maybe someone can fulfill for me.  I've noticed that most, if not all of the custom firmware's posted, use the file name to display song title.  I was wondering if it was possible to use the ID3 tag to display song title.  That way there's no # in front of the song name, and no, in my case, .flac tag on the end.  Is it possible?  Thank you for all your hard work, and keep it up.

That's hard coded into the fw, and there is no way to mod that unfortunately. Hopefully Fiio will fix that - the current firmware has an option to show file or title name, but doesn't seem to work properly at the moment, along with the unknown artist bug.

Maybe somebody could contact @JamesFiiO about taking over this thread. That way the first post could be updated to include links to all the mods, like on the x5 mod thread. I'm too lazy, and clueless to do it myself (re: not updating my themes)
wink.gif
, hopefully somebody else will step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back