DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #14,388 of 16,306
My first cable.  I'm actually in the process of making a few.  This was my proof of concept / practice cable.  I'm converting all of my HPs to dual entry, detachable cable with MCX connectors on the HPs.  I'm still waiting on the MCX connectors to get here.  I'll end up having four cables total.  All of them will be constructed using Mogami 2893 and 2697.  I'm leaving the shielding on and covering with tech flex.  This cable is a 6 foot cable unbalanced with Amphenol  TRS (for my bedroom rig).  Next will be a 10 foot version of the same for chilling in the living room.  There will be a 4 foot cable with 3.5mm termination, and finally a 6 foot balanced cable with XLR termination.  The splitter is a cork that I tuned on the lathe and is epoxied to the cable.  Enjoy!

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #14,389 of 16,306
Nice, though more lighting would have made it look even nicer in the photo.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #14,391 of 16,306
My first cable.  I'm actually in the process of making a few.  This was my proof of concept / practice cable.  I'm converting all of my HPs to dual entry, detachable cable with MCX connectors on the HPs.  I'm still waiting on the MCX connectors to get here.  I'll end up having four cables total.  All of them will be constructed using Mogami 2893 and 2697.  I'm leaving the shielding on and covering with tech flex.  This cable is a 6 foot cable unbalanced with Amphenol  TRS (for my bedroom rig).  Next will be a 10 foot version of the same for chilling in the living room.  There will be a 4 foot cable with 3.5mm termination, and finally a 6 foot balanced cable with XLR termination.  The splitter is a cork that I tuned on the lathe and is epoxied to the cable.  Enjoy!
At first glance, I thought you used a sausage link. lol Good job. I should really order the supplies and recable my D2000s. They've been sitting in my desk for months now...

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #14,396 of 16,306
Update on the cable I was working on ealier for a fellow Head-Fier. In it's complete form now:

So for specs:
  1. For ZMF Blackwood (also fits Audeze LCD-2)
  2. just over 1.2m in length.
  3. 3.5mm by REAN/Neutrik (gold plated) source end.
  4. 2x Mini-XLR by Switchcraft (gold plated pins) headphone end.
  5. Quad round braid 26AWG silver plated copper wire by Pro Power (Aussie Company)
  6. Black with white reflector strips 4mm paracord (550lb).
  7. 99% silver solder.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #14,397 of 16,306
  My AKG K702/65 is 100% complete! Using duo 24AWG copper wire silver plated telfon cable for each channel, the result is very impressive IMO. 

Very nice braiding work buddy!!

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #14,398 of 16,306
  Update on the cable I was working on ealier for a fellow Head-Fier. In it's complete form now:

So for specs:
  1. For ZMF Blackwood (also fits Audeze LCD-2)
  2. just over 1.2m in length.
  3. 3.5mm by REAN/Neutrik (gold plated) source end.
  4. 2x Mini-XLR by Switchcraft (gold plated pins) headphone end.
  5. Quad round braid 26AWG silver plated copper wire by Pro Power (Aussie Company)
  6. Black with white reflector strips 4mm paracord (550lb).
  7. 99% silver solder.

Nice work. I like the clean look of the Y splitter. The mini xlrs red and black are a great way for right/left signifiers. I used heat shrink on the cable with a short 1/4" red and white sleeve to signify right from left.  How was the paracord feeding experience?

cheers

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #14,399 of 16,306

Nice work. I like the clean look of the Y splitter. The mini xlrs red and black are a great way for right/left signifiers. I used heat shrink on the cable with a short 1/4" red and white sleeve to signify right from left.  How was the paracord feeding experience?

cheers

I use a 4 piece heat shrink for the Y split. 5mm heat shrink on each of the paracord ends, as close together as you get get them and then 1 piece of 6mm over all 3 the stitch them together, making sure that the end lines up with the end of the heatshrink closest to the source end. Turns out very tight and strong.

The wire I use is is PTFE insulated so it's very smooth and in most cases the paracord just glide over the top of it. Instead of taping off the leading end, I just bend the wires over to have a smooth point at the start; the wire pretty much just falls through the paracord. But you always get a snag here and there, so you have to revert to the dreadful inch worm method. Either way, it's 100x easier than silicone or rubber insulated wire. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #14,400 of 16,306
  Very nice braiding work buddy!!

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

I am putting them up for sale for the cost I paid for the materials as I wanna try a diff color hehe 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back